Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:48:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689515
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My son designed and printed this village - New Buildings  (Read 7820 times)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My son designed and printed this village
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 01:23:49 AM »
That is a great paint job on the church.  Did you use a card or print the roofs yourself?
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »
I never printed the roofs however I am able to do tiles, slates etc but the software I am currently using fails making thatched roofs look like thatched roofs.

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
Those buildings are fantastic! What printer do you use? I'm always curious as to how expensive (or cheap) the printer needs to be to produce good terrain.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »
I started off with a cheap Chinese knock off printer, I very quickly passed the level of which it printed it. This can be seen in this thread, the pigsty that has bits missing etc was printed on this printer. The cheaper you go normally means the poorer quality at the end. I run most of my prints at 0.2mm layers I can drop that to make models (with a smaller nozzle) or small terrain parts with great details HOWEVER the smaller the layer the greater the time it takes to complete the print.

I have moved to a Prusa printer and that is what I currently use. The aftercare etc is great, and on the upside if you notice a part is wearing you are able to get some of files from the developer and print a new part (or ask someone to print on your behalf) so it only costs the price of plastic.

What you can achieve with a printer is limited to your ability. It is great, I love designing things and then printing them. Plus there is a great community which provide FREE files on which you can download and print yourself. I have recently posted some my recent work on there (https://www.thingiverse.com/Hami9209/about) for the community to use.

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks for that Hami. I have one of the cheap Chinese ones and I still haven't managed to get it working fully. It may be time to look at getting a proper Prusa one so.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
Thanks for that Hami. I have one of the cheap Chinese ones and I still haven't managed to get it working fully. It may be time to look at getting a proper Prusa one so.

I have sent you a PM.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »
That is a great paint job on the church.  Did you use a card or print the roofs yourself?

I used textured plasticard for the tiled roofs.  I am in the process of producing a thatched roof church and will post a piccie once it is complete.

I have to say Hami's printed model is very good and textured both inside and out.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: My son designed and printed this village - New Buildings
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »
Some time ago I posted about the generic dark age village that my son produced for me.  Recently he added 3 new buildings.

The chief’s hall has a separate “porch” and lean to room.  It does not have a roof as I wanted it to match the ones I already have so i made it with card and an old bleached towel.

A barn, store house or wooden hall

And a ruin (timber roofing and card upper floor added from scrap)

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »
Great stuff!  He does really nice work!  I have several of his pieces now.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 07:01:15 AM »
Thank you rampantlion, I have enjoyed working with you on these pieces.

Once again Dad, your painting skills and thatch roofing are really good. I like how you have finished the ruin off. I never thought of designing a destroyed roof for it. I look forward to seeing them on the table top when I am next back down on leave.