Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:58:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dismounted Burgundian Crossbowmen & Medieval Bits & Bobs  (Read 6071 times)

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
Dismounted Burgundian Crossbowmen & Medieval Bits & Bobs
« on: January 30, 2019, 10:45:45 PM »
Hi all. Just primed my first unit of Burgundian crossbowmen. Thought I'd post it here as a work in progress.

Perry Italian crossbowmen with head swaps, riding boots, and hoods added. Was very hesitant at having to convert them but it turned out to be pretty painless in the end and didn't take long so very excited to do more, might try miliput too as opposed to green stuff.

Not too happy with the spurs they are a bit chunky and I should have had the boots flair out a bit where the top folds down but didn't want to mess them up so left them as is.

Will add some more action poses members to this unit eventually, like taking cover behond trees and sharing bolts etc. Also there will be some horse holders just waiting on horses from assault group.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:25:48 AM by SirGromit1879 »

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Dismounted Burgundian Crossbowmen
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
They look excellent - really nice conversions!
Particularly like the one shooting from behind the horse...great ideas, very well executed.
Simon.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
Very nice conversions  8)

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »
Thank you guys that means a lot =). The horse idea was pinched from more modern conflicts like the camel core firing from behind their dismounted camels. The horse is meant to be wounded but bizarrely couldn't bring myself to have an arrow sticking out of it  :D...might add it when painted

I do wonder if they would have ever trained horses to kneel to use as cover

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »
Some great looking conversions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As stated, the one behind the horse is really great. I will have to steal that idea. What did you do to make that one?

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 02:09:38 AM »
Some great looking conversions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As stated, the one behind the horse is really great. I will have to steal that idea. What did you do to make that one?

Thank you =). Hehe don't worry I stole the idea from somewhere, was either a Napoleonic or colonial painting can't remember.

I just cut of a little of one side of the horse so he was a little bit more flush to the base, then chopped the two upper legs and rearranged them and filled with green stuff. Was really quick to do. In hindsight though I should have payed more attention to the joins as they are a bit tough. Also I can't believe it but forgot the stirrups!.

Hope this picture shows a bit better what I mean. Really simple and quick to do.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
Very nice conversions. The "in action" makes them stand out.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »
These are great!

I've used the same metal Perry crossbowmen and handgunners myself twice over, giving them all headswaps the second time round. I've been meaning to try adding some riding boots like you've done on dismounted crossbowmen and longbowmen.....

When do we get to see them painted?

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
Thanks guys =). Almost finished the horse and crouching rider. Bit apprehensive to paint the crossbowmen as not happy with my medieval painting style. Will get these done this week and then look into non metallic painting for armour.

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »
First one done, might just tinker with the grass at some point though

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
Re: Dismounted Burgundian Crossbowmen & Medieval Bits & Bobs
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
Finished some medieval bee keepers, the skep was inspired by the excellent tutorial on Pauls Bods blog. Had to use green stuff in the end as i had bought the recomended bawling twine for the skep last year but have lost it!. These will probably not be based and just be placed onto a cottage scene with a skep shack.

Unfortunetly i do not think the face mask is accurate, as from what i could see they used a circular woven disc like mask instead, but i could not figure out how to do it so just went with a criss cross mesh instead

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
Those are really cool! I may need to steal that idea, as I have bee hives but no one to keep them.

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 11:07:18 AM »
Thanks  :). You could even have some kneeling down collecting honey etc there are some interesting videos on YouTube about traditional honey farming for inspiration

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »
Lovely detail.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 12:24:15 AM »
Really cool conversion and im stealing the bee keepers idea  ;)