Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690315
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just Joined Forum/Started Wargaming  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Molehusband

• Schoolboy
Just Joined Forum/Started Wargaming
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
Hi All.
I have just started gaming again in the last six months, and have decided to have a look at playing VECW.
 I was born and raised in Oxford, although I have spent most of my adult life in Wales, and have been in Cardiff for the last twenty years.
I was going to start my army around Welsh factions, but I also think that as Oxford played a big part in the first two misunderstandings, that there is plenty of history to play with. As well as the emnity between Town and Gown, there were the various T.A. formations, the car factories, and new council estates built in the thirties. I grew up in one in North Oxford, and it had a tall wall built around it to keep in the undesirables. Do any members of the forum live in Oxford, and have they already got a back story established?
Thank you. Doug.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:13:16 PM by Molehusband »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Just Joined Forum/Started Wargaming
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 05:57:53 PM »
Welcome to teh forum! I think you will like it here.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:53 PM »
Welcome to teh forum! I think you will like it here.

Yes welcome! Be prepared to have your plans and your wallet busted open with new , previously un-thought of projects.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Molehusband

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
I spent the Christmas holiday surfing for figures and vehicles. I told the wife it could be worse, and it could be Golf I was taking up.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
I spent the Christmas holiday surfing for figures and vehicles. I told the wife it could be worse, and it could be Golf I was taking up.

Or scuba diving. Or keeping a secret mistress.  Your wife is really lucky you are a wargamer instead!

Offline Molehusband

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »
Well, I used to shoot, but it got too cold for my knees. At least this is in doors.

I am wondering about having a faction from my council estate, The Cutteslowe Contemtibles. My grandfather, a WW1 veteran was on the building team for Cutteslowe, and as a Master plasterer he worked on every house on the estate.
Below is a photo of the Cutteslowe Wall, built by the developers to seperate the council estate from the private houses close by. It was a bone of contention for almost thirty years, and was knocked down during the second world war (by a tank, whose driver thought it had been built for the excercises which they were holding on the council estate). It was re-built again and finally knocked down in the fifties.

Then there are workers from the Cowley factories, but I am not sure if they would be likely to be involved as they did a lot of government work. There were many strikes later on, but in the thirties Austin and Morris were money-makers.

Then you have the Universities, which own Oxford, and the Church authorities.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
Firstly welcome to the forum.
I'm exceptionally fond of stories like these.It's this kind of background information that makes my day.
Please take a look at my home guard thread and see if its something that would intrest you .

Mark.

Offline Molehusband

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »
Thank you Mark, I will.