Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stroezie's Rangers of Shadowdeep.  (Read 11819 times)

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
Re: Stroezie's Rangers of Shadowdeep.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
Great paintjobs and the spiders sculpts are great!

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
Its been a bit of a miscellaneous bunch of figures this week.

Two skellie archers to get them up to strength, a restless spirit, a champion of evil, a yuan-ti archer and I found the last of my survivors and gave him a quick paintjob to.

I also made some terrain: the pillars in the background

The skellies, knight and survivor are from Ral Partha and the spirit and snake woman are from Alternative Armies.

A couple of scenarios have a vulture as a kind of eye in the sky spy for the evil overlord.

I thought I'd try something a little different and sculpted this guy instead.

It's a D&D monster thats basically a giant eyeball with wings,big claws and a rat tail with a stinger that cries piosonous tears called an eyewing,

Here he is "nekkid"

And with a little paint on him..

I've started experimenting on sculpting some crates and treasure chests and  have a group of demonworld goblins primed and ready for paint.

Also the tile these photo's were taken on is part of an old dungeon tile project which I'm looking to revive soon so, if you like what you see, stay tune for more.

Cheers,

Stroezie.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:48:48 PM by Stroezie »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:55 AM »
I do like what I see!

Impressive sculpt, friend!

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
I do like what I see!

Impressive sculpt, friend!
Thanks, I had fun sculpting it, although the wings were a challenge.

So what have I been up to this week?

Well, I wanted to start expanding my dungeon scatter terrain so I decided to try my hand at crafting/ sculpting some crates and chests.

The big crates are just wooden blocks which I scored with a pin and then painted.

The smaller crate was a bit of an experiment, I tried to sculpt the sides seperately and then assemble them once the had cured.

This turned out to be much to fiddely so the treasure chest got sculpted the traditional way, in one piece over a little armature.

As for painting miniatures , I finished the Goblin Rabble pack from Ral Partha's demonworld/ Blighthaven range.
Lovely figures to paint with lots of character, to bad these haven't made it to their singles collection yet as I'd love to get my hands on some more of the different poses.

I'm going to have to rummage through my lead pile and see which figures strike my fancy .

Also, having done the little treasure chest, I think I might try sculpting a mimic version of it to.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
Great progress, I like your dungeon furniture!

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 08:38:34 PM »
Got some more sculpting done, finished the little chest and made a bigger one.

Treasure chests! Quick, check for traps...

And then just couldn't resist trying my hand at sculpting one of these...

Oh no! Too late...

This little Mimic was really fun to do. I think ,as I start doing other furniture, more of them may end up  sneaking in 😎 ( isn't he adorable? )

I also painted these skeletal knights from Ral Partha's 1879 18mm VSF line.

Sadly my flash seems to have washed out the colors and depth a bit but you can still get an idea of what they look like.

I like their slightly more exotic look, makes them look like they are from some long lost civilisation imo.

Well, real life has been keeping me busy so that's all for now.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 07:18:50 AM »
Amazing stuff, Stroezie!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
Wow, I didn’t even know that those Ral Partha skellies existed! Now I want some...
Out of curiosity, what do you use as armature for sculpting the chests? I tried once using only putty without anything underneath and it was a complete failure.

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »
Wow, I didn’t even know that those Ral Partha skellies existed! Now I want some...
Out of curiosity, what do you use as armature for sculpting the chests? I tried once using only putty without anything underneath and it was a complete failure.

Haha, I hear you on those skellies, I felt the same way when I first found out about them.

As for the chests, I totally cheated with the armatures :D
For the big one I glued the ends of 5 or so popsicle sticks together and covered them with a thin layer of plumbers putty.
The small chest is the same thing but with coffee stirers.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 08:17:29 AM »
In Rangers of Shadow Deep: Temple of Madness there's rules for a more spell casting oriented ranger.

I really liked the idea but I kept thinking these characters should be able to take familiars instead of animal companions so I painted up these guys.

Now all I have to do is think up some stats for them.

They are all from Ral Partha's Demonworld line.

I also finished two more traditionnal looking rangers a cleric and an executionner, I don't know what I'm going to use him for yet, I just think he looks cool.

Besides painting I also managed to do some sculpting.

This one was a bit of an experiment. Its made completely out of plumbers putty. why?

Well, I have a tendancy to spend way to long trying to get some of the details just right when I'm sculpting, plumber's putty cures in 5 to 10 minutes so that forces me to work fast.

This stuff does not take detail as well as green stuff and I also didn't even know what it was going to be when I started sculpting so over all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I imagine it as a cross between an armadillo and a shark (there's a d&d monster like that I think).

I may do a second one bursting up out of the ground , could be fun for a Ghost Archipelago scenario.

That's it for now, I hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
Some brilliant additions, Stroezie! Looks very good and with the right amount of tongue in cheek sculpts!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »

This one reminds me of a Reaper monster. Good job!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
Very impressive work, I like that executioner!

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 05:37:07 PM »
I had a rather productive week, all the terrain on this board is newly built.

The rocks and hill were made from cork coasters, the bridge is made from coffee stirrers and the bushes are plastic aquarium plants.

I had enough cork coasters for three more hills so now I've finally got some elevated terrain for my games.

Next up is a summoner and his pet demon.

The wizard is a Demonworld figure and the demon is a 28mm Vor growler pup both from Ral Partha.

The braziers are demonworld demons with an upholstery nail glued on top and some green stuff flames. They are nice sculpts but a bit to static for my tastes, this seemed like a good way to still be able to use them.

I also finished the rest of the pillars which you can see in the background.

The rest is a rather mixed bunch as I've largely been paining which ever figure struck my fancy.

So, from left to right we've got, another dark knight, a jailor, my new more spell casting focused ranger, a dwarven man at arms and a dwarven crossbow man who appears to be a bit bugg eyed in this picture.

And, in preparation for Frostgrave 2e. some bronze statues.

Thats it for now.

Tomorrow I'm off to Spiel 2019 in Essen where I'll be spending the rest of the week in boardgame bliss so it may be a while longer till you hear from me again.

Cheers,

Stroezie

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »
Very nice! I really dig the statues...might have to get some in that style too...