Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686583
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Testudo COMPLETE  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
New Testudo COMPLETE
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:17:11 AM »
Comrades,
I was going to add to the previous thread but the site warned against it so here is the new thread. Several months back I asked about building you own Roman testudo for the Marian reform (Ceasarean) period of the late republic in 28mm. There were some very helpful discussions but of particular assistance was tyrionhalfman who posted an image of his model built from Wargames Factory 28mm plastic Romans.
Tyrionhalfman very generously sent me his photos which I have used as vital reference for my own testudo project. Using the same figures I have followed tyrionhalfman's lead and developed a model using only 14 miniatures to represent a 24 figure Roman cohort in testudo formation.
I have built the test model and am about to start painting. Part 1 of this project is now on my blog: https://unluckygeneral.blogspot.com/2019/02/caesarean-testudo-part-1.html

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Re: New Testudo
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
Very clever!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
Interesting read, enjoyed it thoroughly.  :)

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 11:20:23 PM »
Looks good, but I see what looks like 20 figures and 24 shields.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »
Nicely done. Gluing your ‘roof’ shields together has made them a lot more uniform and neat than mine. Wish I’d thought to use less bodies, your ways a lot more economical. Well done :)

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »
Looks good, but I see what looks like 20 figures and 24 shields.
14 x figures and 20 x shields , surely.  Brilliant idea , I love it . That’s the beauty of kit bashing plastic figures for these little projects. Well done ✔️ .

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
Hey tyrionhalfman, you are right that the shield roof is neater and more uniform but it is also less realistic than your model - yours looks like what it is and should be - human beings imperfectly making it work. Mine is a compromise but I might look at mixing it up a bit with future versions. I've seen a model somewhere with a bloke sticking his head up - peaking out through the shield roof - I rather liked it.

Sounds like there's some mathematical confusion about this particular build. I can assure everyone this is a 14 figure build. Four in the front rank, four on each flank and two in the rear - that's 14 to my mind. The front four and both four figure flanks have a shield each and the roof is clearly made of 12 shields - 4+4+4+12=24. If you read the posting the first image is the start of the experiment - not the final result.

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:35 AM »
Hey tyrionhalfman, you are right that the shield roof is neater and more uniform but it is also less realistic than your model - yours looks like what it is and should be - human beings imperfectly making it work. Mine is a compromise but I might look at mixing it up a bit with future versions. I've seen a model somewhere with a bloke sticking his head up - peaking out through the shield roof - I rather liked it.

Sounds like there's some mathematical confusion about this particular build. I can assure everyone this is a 14 figure build. Four in the front rank, four on each flank and two in the rear - that's 14 to my mind. The front four and both four figure flanks have a shield each and the roof is clearly made of 12 shields - 4+4+4+12=24. If you read the posting the first image is the start of the experiment - not the final result.

I didn't read the blog post.  Just looked at the picture in the initial post and assumed it was a formation 4 figures wide by five figures deep instead of not having the middle six figures.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »
good work !

20 years ago, I have done this for 15mm but with Airfix shields only, for a full stop testudo, not in the move  ;D

less expensive  lol lol
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:09 PM »
Great work!

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »
good work !

20 years ago, I have done this for 15mm but with Airfix shields only, for a full stop testudo, not in the move  ;D

less expensive  lol lol

Hmm.... I need a couple more 6mm Hastati/ Principes  bases for Impetvs.... Now theres an idea!!  lol

A block of foam with shields sculpted to it  lol

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
There is a pre-made single-piece 15mm one as well out there in the wild somewhere...   :)

https://www.madaxeman.com/15mm/displayimage.php?pid=3197

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
This looks like a great idea - especially since I find Wargame Factory miniatures the ugliest plastics out there. With the Testudo at least the majority of the unit seen will be their shields, which are probably their best asset.

Seriously great work!

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: New Testudo COMPLETE
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 05:25:23 AM »
Finally finished the complete model. For those of you who are interested in part two of the build, please follow the link.

http://unluckygeneral.blogspot.com/2019/03/caesarean-testudo-part-2.html

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: New Testudo COMPLETE
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 06:51:38 AM »
Excellent job! :-* :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.