Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3D printed shields  (Read 1586 times)

Andrew_McGuire

3D printed shields
« on: February 03, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
I've just purchased some Oathmark Human Infantry - yes, I know they're fantasy figures, but for reasons which I hope will become clear, I feel my query is best posted here - and intend to replace the shields, as I don't care for the rectangular ones provided. I have some suitable ones around, and may even be able to find some of them. However, I will need far more, and am looking for a solution which will not entail buying sprues of unwanted figures just for the shields. I don't know of any sprues consisting purely of shields and accessories, other than those by Games Workshop, which will certainly not meet my needs.

I am aware of numerous sources of metal shields but as the figures are plastic, I would prefer to use plastic ones if possible, or perhaps resin. The key point is that I want my infantry to look like late dark ages / early medieval levies, and have no use at all for obviously fantasy designs. I intend to use a mixture of round and heater shields, with perhaps some kite shields. Any ideas on sources would be appreciated.

Naturally I've searched on eBay, and have encountered one intriguing possibility, a seller of 3D printed shields (in kit form, the handles being separate) in both round and heater form:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ancient-Shields-Heater-Suits-Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Kings-of-War-28mm-32mm/173680259198?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D06e2f6be3b2b44a5a9281d0788684499%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D223339394026%26itm%3D173680259198&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I have no experience of using 3D printed pieces, though I am aware the technology is now considered mature. I'm wondering whether anyone has experience of working with such small pieces in this material, whether by this manufacturer or any other, and, if so, would kindly share it. I assume CA glue would be required, but otherwise am at something of a loss, particularly with regard to the sturdiness of the material. The handle would appear to be potentially rather fragile.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:33:34 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Re: 3D printed shields
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »
Fireforge do resin shields. You can see them on the Northstar website. I dont have any myself though...

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
Why dont you make some shields out of plasticard? It's fairly easy, its dirt cheap and you can have exactly what you want.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
For round plastic shields, Em4 has these pretty affordable ones available:

https://em4miniatures.com/collections/plastic-fantasy-miniatures/products/plastic-shields-x-50

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:07:16 PM »
All helpful answers, though I mistrust my abilities with scalpel and plastic card. However, it's possible I may surprise myself, as occasionally happens.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »
All helpful answers, though I mistrust my abilities with scalpel and plastic card. However, it's possible I may surprise myself, as occasionally happens.

if you dont try, you will never find out  ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:38:00 PM »
I give myself a maximum of nine attempts to try the technique. If they all turn out as expected, I trust I may be forgiven for electing to keep my remaining finger.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »
I give myself a maximum of nine attempts to try the technique. If they all turn out as expected, I trust I may be forgiven for electing to keep my remaining finger.

lol

I would start by cutting roughly the shape I want and then finetune it by filing.

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 04:40:16 AM »
Send me an email at daftrica 89 @ yahoo  (no spaces) with your street address.
I have a lot of left over shields from building plastic Dark Ages figures, I will mail you as many as I have (probably about sixty or seventy)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 06:05:54 PM »
That's an amazing offer - thank you very much. Is it yahoo.com?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
lol

I would start by cutting roughly the shape I want and then finetune it by filing.

The shield, or my finger? I'm easily confused.

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
You can buy a revell viking ship. Inside there more shields than you need for the ship and their size will fit more or less with the dark age shields made by gripping beast plastic sets.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
Another helpful suggestion. The shields will all be round, of course, as with most of the other suggestions, leaving me proportionially  short of the heaters I need for the force I am outfitting. My main inspiration, by the way, is Dr Zombie's project on the 2nd Baltic Crusade.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
Now I've received my Oath Mark Humans I've discovered that the shields are not, as I assumed, my main problem. (Not only have a couple of forum members generously sent me some spare shields and even weapons & scabbards, but I've also taken a knife to some of the rectangular ones provided and carved them into a form of heater shield, albeit with over-large bosses).

Instead, as noted in another thread, the heads are too large for the bodies, making the figures look cartoonish at best, and freakish at worst. How can this happen? More to the point, what can be done about it? Does anyone know of a plastic medieval - or, at a pinch, fantasy - set with heads which will match these bodies?