Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:44:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Color for War Wagons  (Read 859 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
What Color for War Wagons
« on: February 03, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
I am starting to work on the War Wagon that will serve as the Stronghold for both my Russian and Polish late 17th century armies. I know most have painted their wagons just a wood color, but have to wonder if maybe they were painted some color like the artillery carriage to protect it form he elements????

Any thoughts or suggested on how such would be painted?

Thanks,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: What Color for War Wagons
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
I don't know a thing about this (fascinating) context, but I would say it depends if it was state-owned wagons, or private contractors.

Private contractors hired by the army probably were the most common case then, so they would come with their usual carts and wagons?

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 08:56:28 PM »
I have never seen any illustrations showing anything but plain wood going all the way back to the Hussite version. I added some colour to mine just as decoration however...

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
Thanks guys!

Adam, I really like your idea of just adding some color, so believe that is the route I'll go. Thanks for sharing the picture as it helps immensely! Also, a very nice looking army!!!

Terry

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:21:19 PM »
They started off just using farm wagons, suitably "customized" as needed.  I don't think they would have been painted (other than any pavise shields affixed for protectiion).