Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384849 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Empress - Hue 1968 - First Glimpse of the New Range
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 09:20:21 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the opinions. The pictures of the initial figure were released over the weekend and then adjusted as we noted details in kit and stance. This series of pictures is the second attempt and NOT a completed figure. Having been away all weekend at the York show as well as building a new web site in the background I really did not get my head into gear with this until yesterday when issues were noted.

One of the concerns was the M16, which is being revisited. In sculpting weapons its always a compromise with some types between exact scaled copies and the manufacturing / damage in the post issues. Thus on some weapons flimsy barrels have to be slightly beefed up. Thus some of the design issues on this one. WHICH ARE CURRENTLY BEING SORTED!

However its not the only issue as some of you have spotted. My personal beef is the butt line which is high and the sight/ handle which is low. However as was explained on our Facebook page this sculpt is NOT a finished figure but a prototype. We rarely, if ever show our work in progress as it gets negative comments which are unnecessary, especially from some people who have their own personal agendas.

The reason that we showed this was the huge, and unprecedented, barrage of customers who went wild when we announced this range a few months ago so we thought we would show them that something is happening. Just over 10 years ago Keith and I planned a Vietnam game, wrote some rules called Purple Haze, which we never used, and looked for some figures. After a few weeks searching we could not find a range that we wanted to spend our time or money on. All available were lacking in our humble opinion and the project died until the Empress Christine having got bored with our whining told us to make our own range. Thus Empress Miniatures was born .....and we did Zulu War. Don't ask? Its a wargamers butterfly mind thing. Well inspired once again to revisit this conflict about a year back and working with both Red Star and FNG as we did for many years which ended in us owning the FIC range it seemed logical to progress our own Vietnam range.

The reason I tell you this is that do you really think that over 10 years later with still no good Nam range on the market and a very big scratch that we have to itch as well as a significant reputation that we have built up with Empress for quality we would release something as iconic as the M16 in anything less than good? 

Steady the Buffs and sit tight for the actual real release.

Cheers,
Paul     

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »
I am sure that the team of Paul Hicks and Empress will produce the finest ever Vietnam range. :-*

I am also sure that I will buy some, and paint some, and probably even write a painting guide if I can find somebody to host it....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:42:28 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
Excellent news, very much looking forward to seeing this range come together. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
Glad to hear it’s all in hand. I’m looking forward to the range.  Nice to see you responding to feed back. For the record I have no ‘personal agenda’. I like Mr Hicks’ works and have been an enthusiastic buyer of a number of Hicks sculpted Empress ranges via your Australian distributor.

You’re right there really isn’t much in the way of quality 28mm Vietnam ranges, so this and the Gringo line are keenly anticipated. It’s that keen anticipation and the quality of Paul’s work that has raised expectations of accuracy.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 10:25:21 AM »
Cheers Paul  - brilliant news!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
Most excellent - thanks Empress for the update  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
Hear, hear! Thanks for responding. Happy to see it was already being sorted.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
Appreciate your input Paul, this is a very exciting range that I'll definitely be buying in to.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 01:36:55 PM »
Yes I saw that. Hope to get along to it. Great photographer not only of Hue  ;)

Thanks for all the support guys. We will not let you down. (No pressure in that statement  :? ) The new M16 is already in the mould and should be with Paul by this weekend.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Knowing this is a "work in progress" miniature, I am not worried about the M16, but I am very happy with the robustness of the weapons. Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:49:24 PM by Juan »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »
Thanks Paul for the feed back.
That is what makes you guys and lady great.
You always put out top of the line figures.
I have been waiting for Marines at Hue for ever.
Can't wait to give you lots of my money. ;D
Semper Fi, Mac

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the update.

I echo Carlos' comment (well except for the Australian distributor ^__^).

I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

Now back to your Inter-war/Early War British that I have finally been able to undercoat...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 03:27:43 AM »
Will there be separate heads or separate head packs for the range like the French Indochina range? I’m looking for fairly regular looking PAVN as my main interest is 1975 and beyond so separate packs of pith helmets would be great.

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
The figures will come with attached heads mostly although my plan is to have a couple of packs with separate heads. Then head sprues so that maximum flexibility can be achieved. No reason why the more skilled cannot amputate heads and attach new heads on the other fixed head figures. Its pretty easy.

Weapons wise there will also be a big variation and not just the usual AK47 so that earlier vintage and French weapons will make an appearance, especially with militia types.

Also a significant civilian / militia number of figures. Many of these will be designed to work with both this and the FIC range.