Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384819 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Empress - Hue 1968 - First Glimpse of the New Range
« Reply #690 on: May 31, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
@Ash - I think they might be taken by the same cameraman, I would expect most photographers would have multiple cameras, the main black and white one for high Res use and one for colour slides (lower resolution). You would take shots with both, both as back up and for different uses.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #691 on: May 31, 2019, 02:23:29 PM »
It's the nylon US Navy rain jacket.

A two part suit with the over trousers:

Looks a lot darker in the photos:

"Unholster your calamaris NOW!"
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #692 on: May 31, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Never got to fire one when in but that was always the warning - keep clear of the backblast!

He must be an FNG!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #693 on: May 31, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Never got to fire one when in but that was always the warning - keep clear of the backblast!
It needs to be set back a little, so the end of the tube is clear of the shoulder.

From Wikipedia.
That looks "colourised" as well.

You also want to make sure the rifle is clear, the metal will be fine, but the sling and the foregrip will burn.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:44:57 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #694 on: May 31, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »
When I was in the army. We had a guy who did not properly clear his backblast. We were lying down whilst shooting. He had burns all down his side and broke 3 ribs.

That warning label on them is not to be taken lightly.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #695 on: May 31, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »
When I was in the army. We had a guy who did not properly clear his backblast. We were lying down whilst shooting. He had burns all down his side and broke 3 ribs.

That warning label on them is not to be taken lightly.
Firing prone directly forward?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #696 on: May 31, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »
I am sure no one is actually interested, but it is Peyto Lake which is a particularly odd shade of blue.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyto_Lake

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #697 on: May 31, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »

You were, in fact, supposed to turn your head, survey the scene behind you and yell ‘BBDA clear!’ before firing. I had a rather harrowing afternoon as a safety officer once, supervising ARES officer cadets. A  number decided that this part of the drill involved swinging not just their head but their upper torso around, thus pointing the tube and it’s contents at lil ole me in the process. Funnily enough I seem to recall that most of them managed to avoid this with the subcal firing device and waited till they had a live rocket. Not that it would make much difference, a 22mm hole through the chest will kill you just as well as a 66mm one. I was not best pleased.

My best mate at the time had an even hairier day. He got a hang-fire, had to do the wait and walk thing before the tube and rocket were blown in place.

Yes, the tube should be further back and Homer probably wants to remove/ move that rifle lest he get a nasty surprise.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #698 on: May 31, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »
@Ash - I think they might be taken by the same cameraman, I would expect most photographers would have multiple cameras, the main black and white one for high Res use and one for colour slides (lower resolution). You would take shots with both, both as back up and for different uses.

I'd agree with them being from the same photographer. I'm thinking the second (coloured) version, is a second frame from the same moment. The photographer has either crouched down or gone down on one knee to frame straight at the prisoner from his head height.
As the B&W shot is a well known Don McCullin image, I doubt the colour frame was shot on colour film, looking at it closely each colour is a flat tone, all the highlight and shade is from the grey scale, most likely colour washes applied to B&W prints or maybe later digital manipulation.
Don McCullin shot exclusively in B&W, however the Sunday Times magazine of the day ran several of his pictures as colour toned images

Resolution wasn't a thing with film, to improve image size you increased the format of kit you were using. Most of the press then were using 35mm, with different bodies for different focal length lenses.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #699 on: May 31, 2019, 08:48:29 PM »
In regards to the LAW figure. I’ve decided to take on all your expert advise and resculpt him.

Offline Suetonius Paullinus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #700 on: May 31, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
That’s awesome Paul  8)
Although I obviously cannot make any helpful contribution I’m terms of weapons handling this process here makes it feel as if we all have taken part in the creation of those little master pieces.
Loving it  :-*

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #701 on: May 31, 2019, 09:10:55 PM »
It is really awesome how good sports both mr. Hicks and Empress is about this whole range. And us nerdy buttoncounters.  I don’t think I have experienced a range come to life in this way before. I had swallowed the bait already but this very open process where you show of work in progress and show such a willingness to take on board suggestions and make various tweaks. Really makes me even more excited about this range.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #702 on: May 31, 2019, 09:38:33 PM »
You are probably right about that.

Resolution wasn't a thing with film, to improve image size you increased the format of kit you were using. Most of the press then were using 35mm, with different bodies for different focal length lenses.
New habits, sorry I meant film speed, which equates to resolution on chemical films (higher speed has bigger grain size so lower effective resolution).

I remember how grainy my first ASA 400 photographs were compared to the normal commercial ASA 100.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:52:02 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #703 on: May 31, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »
Excellent news, thanks.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #704 on: May 31, 2019, 11:41:26 PM »
It is really awesome how good sports both mr. Hicks and Empress is about this whole range. And us nerdy buttoncounters.  I don’t think I have experienced a range come to life in this way before. I had swallowed the bait already but this very open process where you show of work in progress and show such a willingness to take on board suggestions and make various tweaks. Really makes me even more excited about this range.

Excellent sculpting aside, it’s one of the best aspects of this range. I’ve noticed that Rubicon, the maker of plastic tanks and the like take a very similar approach and it all shows in the quality of the product.