Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:06:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 388606 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range
« Reply #1785 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »
Yeah that would be my only niggle as well. The cool way to wear the giggle hat was to pinch the band so that the crown was the same height as the band. Another popular style was to run hutchie cord (nylon cord for erecting a shelter half) through the foliage bands in diagonal or criss-cross fashion. That said, all kinds of shapes and styles show up. Whilst being a supremely practical bit of kit, handy for gathering water, holding a hot mess tin, gathering spent brass etc, etc, the old bush hat can’t really be described as a stylish bit of kit. Well, unless of course you compare it with those stupid fucking kepi and havelock affairs so popular with RAAC types in the ‘90s. That really was a c*** cap. Of course with armour types it takes remarkably little effort for them to appear like utter c***s.  ;)

Greens themselves were never stylish. I have heard with my own ears the timeless expression from a Vietnam vet QM issuing greens “ Doesn’t matter if they are too big or too small, as long as they fit” and of course that favourite expression of WOs and SNCOs ‘you look like a bag of shit with a string tied round the middle’.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1786 on: March 18, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »
Could these Australians be used for British Troops in Malaya or SAS at Mirbat?

To my uneducated eye, they look very similar.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1787 on: March 18, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
Depends on your level of obsession with detail. The webbing is wrong for the British Army in Borneo and beyond. No bum packs on British kit. For Malaya, up until about 1959 the troops would have have been equipped with ‘44 or even ‘37 pattern webbing and would have carried Mk 5 or MkIV Enfields and/ or M1 carbines, Stens and Owens. You would be better off with the Warlord Korean Brits, although it’s rumoured that Studio Miniatures might be doing a range of post war British.

For the Brunei Revolt, Confrontation and the Middle East, Eureka’s Aden British range would be the way to go. Mix those in with some elected items from their Rhodesian range and you’ll be able to make fair SAS proxies for Mirbat.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1788 on: March 18, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
Thank-you

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1789 on: March 18, 2020, 01:35:44 PM »
Perhaps he has tucked his Vegemite sandwiches under it?

Nice figures guys.

Never tried Vegemite. One for the bucket list perhaps. then again  :-X

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #1790 on: March 18, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
WW2 era shell dressings were still in use in Vietnam. If you're not familiar with them, they're a wad of gauze roughly the size of a bar of soap attached to a cotton bandage. They are particularly useful for ad hoc treatment of shrapnel or GSW to limbs as the gauze can be held against the wound site and the bandage easily fixed around the limb.

Similar dressings are still in use with modern militaries today.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1233608
Thanks.
Their use is still covered in first aid training today.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1791 on: March 18, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
Something like each one holds 2 pints so you don't need a fourth... :o

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #1792 on: March 18, 2020, 03:49:50 PM »

Its properties are remarkably similar to a better known modelling material with a similar name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CwhZjKnThg

Sculpting with it is something of a challenge, however.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1793 on: March 19, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »
I should bring you a tube or small jar next time I visit the UK. Might drop by as I drive from Edinburgh to the Forest of Dean.

Cheers,
Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1794 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »
Its properties are remarkably similar to a better known modelling material with a similar name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CwhZjKnThg

Sculpting with it is something of a challenge, however.

Now that's clever.  ;)

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1795 on: March 19, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »
I should bring you a tube or small jar next time I visit the UK. Might drop by as I drive from Edinburgh to the Forest of Dean.

Weirdly I found it in a shop yesterday. Funny enough it was one of the few things left on the shelf. I showed it to the Empress Christine who loves Marmite and she ran away screaming so I did not buy a pot.   :-X

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1796 on: March 19, 2020, 09:22:32 AM »
Probably wise!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1797 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:32 AM »
That has to be the most arse about face waste of time I've seen in a long while.
He actually lost time and added in pointless steps .Thats literally a twenty minutes paint job from under coat to finished toy. No need to mask at all.Let alone mask with food.
We spend half our time worrying about food oil and finger oil knackering painted figures why add it to the process ?.

Your best tool for speed is a hairdryer. That whale could have been super fast .spray white underside only,spray grey on top only .theres the two tone straight away .Dab on white paint.Hairdryer each stage for speed drying.
Or if you did want to use your air brush under coat the whole thing white .spray the top then add white dots. It'll use the same time as painting on food but won't require you to spend more time washing food off your toy hoping you've de greased it at the same time.

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1798 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:06 AM »
That has to be the most arse about face waste of time I've seen in a long while.
He actually lost time and added in pointless steps .Thats literally a twenty minutes paint job from under coat to finished toy. No need to mask at all.Let alone mask with food.
We spend half our time worrying about food oil and finger oil knackering painted figures why add it to the process ?.

Your best tool for speed is a hairdryer. That whale could have been super fast .spray white underside only,spray grey on top only .theres the two tone straight away .Dab on white paint.Hairdryer each stage for speed drying.
Or if you did want to use your air brush under coat the whole thing white .spray the top then add white dots. It'll use the same time as painting on food but won't require you to spend more time washing food off your toy hoping you've de greased it at the same time.

You are missing the point. If you use Vegimite for this you don't have to eat the bloody stuff  lol

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1799 on: March 19, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »
Paul,
It shouldn't be wasted everyone knows it's an effective zombie repellent.
 No ones ever comes back and said it didn't work.