Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686505
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384814 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range
« Reply #2190 on: July 03, 2020, 08:49:53 PM »
Nice to see it in the resin  :D

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2191 on: July 06, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
Great looking piece, and Paul has the “team” spot on! But I’m not ordering it until you let us know what else is on those other 16 mounds :D, cuz I want to maximize minimize shipping costs from England.

Well just to add to that I collected another 11 new moulds worth last Friday so I have to start going through those. Trust me there will never be a perfect time to order to get the most as there will always be something coming along. ;)

Offline mjkerner

• Bookworm
« Reply #2192 on: July 06, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
That’s what I was afraid of…which IS a good thing!

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2193 on: July 06, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
That’s what I was afraid of…which IS a good thing!

lol

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #2194 on: July 07, 2020, 09:10:52 AM »
Indeed it is a good thing!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #2195 on: July 07, 2020, 10:26:33 AM »
Any news on more civilians and peasants
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:24:28 PM by Shipka »

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #2196 on: July 07, 2020, 07:57:58 PM »
Alright, let's get back to Vietnam and Empress's remarkable miniatures....

On that note, I just received a text from the post office that a package from Empress just arrived!  I can't wait to get home and open it! 

Somehow, I still feel like a little kid when it comes to my minis, especially if they are historical.

I am almost 50 years old and remember the end of the Vietnam war.  All my parents' friends were somehow affected by it. 

About 3/4 of my neighbors are Vietnamese.  They're outstanding people and the food they make is great.  On our street they tend to open their garage and cook there.
 When I come home from work I get waived over and have a beer and an amazing snack.  I'm trying to learn to cook like they do. 

I can see how they are the only people to beat the US at war.  They're tough and smart.  So sad that we had to fight half of them (the North). 

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2197 on: July 08, 2020, 01:34:53 AM »
I think we actually had to fight three quarters of them because they hated their incompetent, corrupt government in the South and the US and its Free World Allies chose that lot to support. They are lovely people, good workers and had had years of trying to free themselves from Imperialist yokes only to have their own lot become tin pot dictators. I almost went there in the early 70s as part of our government's support and recently went there for a holiday to see some amazing people and superb countryside, eat some great food and drink a beer or three.

Alright, let's get back to Vietnam and Empress's remarkable miniatures....

On that note, I just received a text from the post office that a package from Empress just arrived!  I can't wait to get home and open it! 

Somehow, I still feel like a little kid when it comes to my minis, especially if they are historical.

I am almost 50 years old and remember the end of the Vietnam war.  All my parents' friends were somehow affected by it. 

About 3/4 of my neighbors are Vietnamese.  They're outstanding people and the food they make is great.  On our street they tend to open their garage and cook there.
 When I come home from work I get waived over and have a beer and an amazing snack.  I'm trying to learn to cook like they do. 

I can see how they are the only people to beat the US at war.  They're tough and smart.  So sad that we had to fight half of them (the North).
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #2198 on: July 08, 2020, 02:00:12 PM »
I think we actually had to fight three quarters of them because they hated their incompetent, corrupt government in the South and the US and its Free World Allies chose that lot to support. They are lovely people, good workers and had had years of trying to free themselves from Imperialist yokes only to have their own lot become tin pot dictators. I almost went there in the early 70s as part of our government's support and recently went there for a holiday to see some amazing people and superb countryside, eat some great food and drink a beer or three.
The idea that the South Vietnamese citizens hated the Saigon government ( or liked the Hanoi government more) is more of a post 75 idea pushed by Hanoi after the north reunified the country, during the conflict the majority of the population fled the "liberated" zones even during black April to the GVN controlled regions even when it only consisted of Saigon and 4th corps, also there where no real mass defections of ARVN units compared to the very successful Chiu Hoi program the south ran took in 101,511 Communist defectors. Its a shame that most games and modern media completely ignore or denigrate the south when they did most of the fighting and often ended up in gulags for decades in Vietnam whist being painted as cowardly puppets outside of it.

Offline mjkerner

• Bookworm
« Reply #2199 on: July 08, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
You are spot on, 88D.

"...and often ended up in gulags for decades..."  Or murdered outright. 

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #2200 on: July 08, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »
You are spot on, 88D.

"...and often ended up in gulags for decades..."  Or murdered outright.
Amen.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2201 on: July 08, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »
The simple facts are that a substantial portion of the population in South Vietnam were either actively opposed to the regime or ambivalent about its continuation. Were that not the case, there would have been no need for intervention by the US or its allies. Insurgencies, however well supported externally, will not prosper without local support.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #2202 on: July 08, 2020, 11:00:31 PM »
The simple facts are that a substantial portion of the population in South Vietnam were either actively opposed to the regime or ambivalent about its continuation. Were that not the case, there would have been no need for intervention by the US or its allies. Insurgencies, however well supported externally, will not prosper without local support.

If that was the case the population would have risen up or aided the North and its Viet Cong proxy (who happened to be made up mainly of northern troops after Tet) during the Tet offensive, 72 offensive or the 75 offensive which in the 1st two the north was planning on but never happened in fact they often actively resisted much to the dismay of the average NVA soldier who had been told by his political commissars the southern population was itching to throw off the imperialist yoke not aid the hated GVN and its 'puppet' army, The same goes for the ARVN, RF-PF and PSDF forces which if you are correct in asserting the majority of the southern populace did not support the southern government would have surrendered, defected or deserted way before the south was conquered in 75 and not fought as hard as they did even during the final hours. As for foreign intervention the same could go for the Hanoi government with its 100's of thousand Chinese troops manning its AA guns from 1965 and its vast amounts of Com-block supply's and aid.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2203 on: July 08, 2020, 11:26:24 PM »
Edit
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:59:12 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2204 on: July 09, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »
I did not assert that the majority of the population supported the NLF or the North. Sorry, your straw man, not mine. What I did say was that a substantial portion of the populace was either anti-government or at best ambivalent towards it. The remoter the populace to government services the more ambivalent they would be.

If you think that the NLF was wholly constituted of PAVN troops pre or post Tet then you are mistaken. The North shouldered the preponderance of military action post Tet that’s true but that’s in part because the NLF suffered such grievous losses in 1968 (not just Tet but the two subsequent major offensives that took place that year. That and the fact that the war had largely assumed a semi-conventional nature anyway. The ‘72 and ‘75 offensives are prime examples of that.

All that said there were still substantial NLF forces operating up until 1975, even if they weren’t the architects of victory. There was still a substantial support base too, providing logistical support. It’s a fairly uncontroversial and demonstrably true statement that there were substantial or significant numbers of southerners opposed to the SVN governments, albeit political support increased somewhat

The fact that the population didn’t rise en masse proves little. It disregards the fact that the offensive was concentrated in urban areas for the most part and that’s where the regime enjoyed its greatest support. It also disregards the fact that whilst that was the official rubric for public consumption, that Tet would cause a popular rising, there is clear evidence that this was not a view shared by all within the Northern military and political leadership. Indeed there is evidence that Tet was,in part, the product of factionalism within the politburo and realistic appraisal within the ranks of the North’s leadership held little hope for it militarily or politically. Ironically it had a greater effect by demonstrating the hollow nature of Westmoreland’s claims and reducing US support for the war.

Neither the April 1972 offensive or the final one in 1975 were intended as regime changing operations, certainly not regime changers on the back of a wave of popular support. The Easter Offensive was a limited, albeit large, conventional operation designed to destroy ARVN military capability. The 1975 offensive was originally pitched in similar vein but developed as large parts of the ARVN just disintegrated.

Not quite sure what your point about Chinese aid is. Nobody questions the overwhelming materiel contribution of China, the USSR and its satellites. US intervention came about because the South Vietnamese government was on the point of collapse in 1963/64. Don’t believe me, that’s what the US military, intelligence agencies and political leaders believed at the time.