Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686711
  • Total Topics: 118125
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Martians Updated 21/2/19  (Read 1262 times)

Offline dead space

• Assistant
Martians Updated 21/2/19
« on: February 06, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
Hopefully the pictures will work this time :)

My first attempt at an H.G Wells style Martian.

Got a few idea's for different kinds Like, Royal guards, War machine Pilots and large Overlord. If he's popular, I may run a small Kick starter for him and the others I'm working on.

He's 35mm tall, what do you think?

Thanks for looking
DS
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:58:01 PM by dead space »

Offline Carmine

• Assistant
    • Indelible Inc
Re: H.G Wells Martian
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »
Very true to the description in the original novel.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
Very nice, clean lines. The proportions look a bit strange next to the IG dude, but I guess that is due to the raw state. I'm sure it will paint up very nicely.

Offline dead space

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
Very true to the description in the original novel.

Thanks
Very nice, clean lines. The proportions look a bit strange next to the IG dude, but I guess that is due to the raw state. I'm sure it will paint up very nicely.

Thanks
Yeah I'll try and take a better pic next to a more modern miniature. I have a few idea's for different sized martians.

Offline dead space

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »
Here's a pictures of him next to a Modern GW cultist.

Do you think the next one should be smaller?

Offline Carmine

• Assistant
    • Indelible Inc
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
Martian that came out of the first cylinder on the heath at the start of the book was described as being roughly "the size of a bear", but as you've already said you're planning on making them in various sizes, it doesn't really matter.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
Interesting figure.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:41:10 AM »
I do like the look of it and it fits the description well, but I'm not a fan of how it seems to float/fly/walk on tentacles. I always felt they were more like slow blobs with tentacles who could hardly move.

Quote from: The War of the Worlds by HG Wells
A big greyish rounded bulk, the size, perhaps, of a bear, was rising slowly and painfully out of the cylinder. As it bulged up and caught the light, it glistened like wet leather.

Two large dark-coloured eyes were regarding me steadfastly. The mass that framed them, the head of the thing, was rounded, and had, one might say, a face. There was a mouth under the eyes, the lipless brim of which quivered and panted, and dropped saliva. The whole creature heaved and pulsated convulsively. A lank tentacular appendage gripped the edge of the cylinder, another swayed in the air.

Those who have never seen a living Martian can scarcely imagine the strange horror of its appearance. The peculiar V-shaped mouth with its pointed upper lip, the absence of brow ridges, the absence of a chin beneath the wedgelike lower lip, the incessant quivering of this mouth, the Gorgon groups of tentacles, the tumultuous breathing of the lungs in a strange atmosphere, the evident heaviness and painfulness of movement due to the greater gravitational energy of the earth—above all, the extraordinary intensity of the immense eyes—were at once vital, intense, inhuman, crippled and monstrous. There was something fungoid in the oily brown skin, something in the clumsy deliberation of the tedious movements unspeakably nasty. Even at this first encounter, this first glimpse, I was overcome with disgust and dread.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline dead space

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
I do like the look of it and it fits the description well, but I'm not a fan of how it seems to float/fly/walk on tentacles. I always felt they were more like slow blobs with tentacles who could hardly move.

Your right, but i thought they would move different on there home or other planets.
I should really have said loosely based on H.G wells martians in the title.

Offline dead space

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »
Hi, I've done some more work on my Martians :)
Two elders and an overlord. What do you think so far?

Still got to do the Overlords base Platform.