Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:04:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 609
Total: 615

Recent

Author Topic: 3d Modelling 6mm Miniatures for Fun  (Read 786 times)

Offline Eldon Wilson

• Schoolboy
3d Modelling 6mm Miniatures for Fun
« on: February 08, 2019, 03:04:10 AM »
Picking back up the old habit, I want to make a complete line of factions for my homebrew fiction and using the Polyversal rules.

I am in no way affiliated with Polyversal, but I did start a Shapeways store (and offer the Meshmix base file for free if you make your way to the MarEldon group on Facebook).

The Rus (faction) Militia Conscript

Timelapse:

In my not nearly fleshed out enough fictional future, humanity has taken to the stars with two (so far) factions arising.  Rather than focusing on civilizations that somehow end up in dystopias, I like to imagine that civilizations have figured out how to make a functioning human civilization based on their model of governance which reflects the values and temperaments of the peoples who reside there.  From there conflict arises when these civilizations interact.  And when C'thulu rises.

One of these factions I have affectionately taken to calling "The Rus" (pronounced, ROOS).  This is in large part to my wife being from Ukraine (or as I refer to it, the Texas of Russia) and having a handy background resource on all things Russian (her degree is in languages) has it's uses.

With that said, though chomping at the bit to do robot-bear cavalry, I've made the executive decision (as I do all the modeling) to create more baseline units for our future Polyversal games.  Going on what little I know about the earth-conflicts and what I'm told by first-hand accounts (inlaws are great) the Slavic states have, at times, and to this day, require conscription.

As such, I assert that in my polyverse The Rus have a mandatory service requirement for their people, not only as a defensive measure but as a cost saving device for the collective defense of the worlds they occupy.  Especially on outlying worlds bordering or in contention with other factions, able-bodied individuals may be called upon to perform service to the Mother-Worlds.

Equipping them with reliable, if outdated, armor and armament, a typical Militia-Conscript will hardly be a match for a properly trained force.  Working in tandem with other military elements, however, they provide a plentiful and easily tapped quantity of manpower that doesn't need to be moved from world to world and can, in times of defense, hold the enemy at bay until more trained forces arrive.

Any particular population of Rus will have the appointed position of Commissar-Quartermaster, which is a respected, though easy job that may not inspire the best of work ethics by those who hold the position.  During times of peace they are involved in overseeing the training and performance of the mandatory military service and advancing those who show the capacity and/or willingness.  During times of danger, however, those in the population who will need to be selected and armed for conscription are selected and supplied by the Commissar-Quartermaster of their jurisdiction.

Commissar-Quartermasters who the oligarchy of The Rus find have been too lax or unqualified in their positions may find themselves publicly executed.  Those who develop their area may end up being a political force and an inspiring leader on the battlefield, or even find themselves promoted to higher station.  As such, a unit may end up being a Commanding unit as the story presents itself, though holing up in bunker would be much advised.

Though the conscripts are relatively uniform in their equipment and training, their motivation to serve may be varied.  If they feel motivated enough, they will be roused into Fanatics, ready to give everything to defend the glory of their jurisdiction, their homes and their families.  Just as likely, however, they may decide that being a pawn in a war they would rather not take part in doesn't suit their goals for survival.  These Mercenary tendencies may make them balk in the face of an opposing force.  This is often remedied at a local level by a promise from the Commissar-Quartermaster to execute any surviving cowards.

Next time, the Rus Bogatyr MBT...

Offline Eldon Wilson

• Schoolboy
Re: 3d Modelling 6mm Miniatures for Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »
Back at it again with that tank.

The link does not seem to be embedding like last time, I will work on this after work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:20:50 PM by Eldon Wilson »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 3d Modelling 6mm Miniatures for Fun
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 03:12:54 PM »
Looking good - will follow with interest.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen