Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scale 75 and Andrea paint sets - opinons  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Scale 75 and Andrea paint sets - opinons
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »
Also, the paints are easy to apply without visible brushstrokes and give a smooth even coverage.
I really like this aspect of them. Very smooth finish even if translucent. Similarly translucent paints from some other ranges, such as Army Painter, dry rather streaky unless stroked just right.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »
yes, this would be good.

think I'm going to try them 'mixed' before the Dags route.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »
Based on my own experiences, I tend to use a drop of retarder in the Scale 75 to give it more time to level out. For the Andrea stuff I don't have this problem as much but also put in a drop of retarder when brush painting, as it does make a difference.

As attested by others, both of these paint ranges are well done, with good fine pigment levels.

So buy a few and give it a try.

Right now I am experimenting with the AK lacquer acrylic paints....so far so good!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 11:35:13 AM »
thanks Aroudaki - excellent info.

any particular retarder? think I've got one or two (vallejo iirc), but never really used them.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:07 AM »
Use the Tamiya Acrylic one, as it works well.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »
thanks.

quite difficult to get in the uk (without buying from abroad) it would seem.

will try the vallejo for now.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
The Tamiya stuff works well for airbrushing but some people have complained about it for brushwork. Retarder from other brands is worth a go. After all, you are just trying to get the paint to level out before drying so you get a smoother finish. :)

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:56 AM »
blimey - you layer up on black. I've never understood how people get good results on black undercoats. I find grey bad enough (but can't get an opaque, even, undercoat with white gesso - grey's ok, black excellent ...  :'( ... funny old world).

think I might have to go back to spray white undercoats with the Scale and Andrea stuff - but I find it hard to get even, full coverage with sprays.
Brushing on grey gesso is great - it reduces beautifully to an even smooth coat (or looks like it does anyway, maybe I just can't see the faults clearly on grey plastic / metal figures  lol )

I've found the trick to spray primers is to spray much closer to the model than the recommended distance and use short bursts directly at the model. It looks bad at first, like really thick, but is fine once dry. If you are unsure then try it with a cheap model that you don't care about.

I'm undecided on the scale 75 kickstarter artist paints. I like the idea of them and think they would complement the scale colour paints well, but, I buy too many paints. So chances are I'll be backing  the ks :)

I've already drawn up a list for the 12 colour option based on what paints I think would give me the greatest mixing potential. I would still like more information to help me decide though, such as actual colour swatches both diluted and undiluted.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 03:04:59 AM »
I'm undecided on the scale 75 kickstarter artist paints. I like the idea of them and think they would complement the scale colour paints well, but, I buy too many paints. So chances are I'll be backing  the ks :)
Me too on all accounts. :D

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
well, I've tried out a whole one paint of each from scale75 and andrea   :D - and results are very promising.
looks like scale75 are the ones for me - but there is an important distinction to be made which I almost missed.

I'll post more a bit later in the week when I'm clearer about things.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
I found a review of the new S75 KS range... can't speak for the independence of it as S75 apparently sponsor this painter via patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/24581588

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »
I'm undecided on the scale 75 kickstarter artist paints. I like the idea of them and think they would complement the scale colour paints well, but, I buy too many paints.

I have the opposite conclusion on Scale75s KS, as I just can't seem them working out very well for me and won't be supporting them (although I really like Scale75s existing ranges). The new range of 'artist type paints' have already reached their funding levels, and then some, so they will be made. That said, my experience with artist oils is that you tend to take too much out paint out of the tube (unlike dropper bottles) and have a lot of wastage. Also, they are a pain to mix properly, as you can't be exact in what you are mixing. Hence, this is a step back, not forward. Like them or not, the dropper bottles do allow you to mix paint fairly consistently.

And let's face it, most of us are lazy and like to have a paint named a certain thing that does a certain job. We don't want to mix paints so much, and if most people are honest they will say this. Most of us have full time day jobs and not a lot of time for the hobby, so everything we can do to create a great result in the fastest time with the least hassle works for me.

How about all of you?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »

And let's face it, most of us are lazy and like to have a paint named a certain thing that does a certain job. We don't want to mix paints so much, and if most people are honest they will say this. Most of us have full time day jobs and not a lot of time for the hobby, so everything we can do to create a great result in the fastest time with the least hassle works for me.

How about all of you?

quite - my reason for going the whole hog with foundry triads ... (that went well  lol )

the one scale75 I've tried so far has really rubbed in how far wrong I may well have gone - although they're not the best known range in the UK I suppose and it's not so hard for them to go under the radar.

absolutely flat matt  - didn't have to do any of the Dags type manouvere - in fact the paint out of the box seemed fine (couldn't see any obvious separation), but did give them a good shake (and have and will add glass agitators - but two a bottle - read somewere that one perfect sphere wont help mix ... ).
covered beautifully on top of a mid-grey undercoat - sort of had to go round twice - but not two layers as such.

I use a wet-palette, so the paint is being diluted to that degree - but what a pleasure to be able to squeeze a little paint out straight from a bottle onto it - a significant time-saver for me compared to fussing with citadel pots or foundry come to that.

ironically  - the too matt finish thing, I can kind of see that, but if all the paints are consistently flat matt, I'd rather that than otherwise, and may go back to a white undercoat (which is a shame coz I really enjoy bushing gesso on, rather than spraying).

the thing I thought I should point out (see post above), and that almost saw me wasting yet more money, is that two of the S75 ranges are matt, and one not so much: the 'fantasy and gaming' range is rather different in consistency and finish (more satin / gloss) I understand from a youtube review.

but to be fair I'm opining way too much after just the one experiment - not a lot of time atm, but will update here in due course.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:16:57 PM by Bloggard »

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 02:12:30 PM »
For mixing the paint I use stainless steel machine screw nuts size #8-32. They have a good heft and lots of corners and edges to help scrape paint of the bottom and sides of the pot.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 03:06:43 PM »
I've just gone through the laborious process of adding two ball bearings (AK Interactive stainless steel shakers) to every paint bottle I own, or can find, though I'm sure I've missed some. I think one will suffice for the inks. They're quite a bit heavier than glass beads, and should be more effective. The addition of the BBs / SSs can be quite messy, as paint is apt to ooze out of the nozzle. Unused Scale 75 bottles don't present this problem, as they are sealed.

The tube paints will surely not require any mixing, other than to produce new shades, which is one reason I've backed the whole deal (the other being the extras, including the wooden box). I'm sure I will mix them with other paints though, as I've always done, and then wonder how the result, desirable or not, was achieved.