Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm 1930s/40s Naval Crew & Weapons?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
28mm 1930s/40s Naval Crew & Weapons?
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
A friend just gave me this, as he thought it might come in handy for VBCW.  Anyone know who produced it?  He's no idea where it came from, as someone gave it to him.

I'd also like to crew it and arm it, so can anyone suggest some suitable 28mm naval crew and/or deck weapons?  It's for VBCW, so I'm not too fussy about nationality, as long as they look vaguely 1930s and European.  I'm already aware of several ranges of RN, Kriegsmarine and Soviet sailors equipped for infantry actions.  I'm thinking more along the lines of crewed deck guns, Lewis Gun mounts and that sort of thing.

I thought I might make it 'modular', with various drop-in decks and weapon loads that could be slotted over the cargo-hold.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:00:16 PM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm 1930s/40s Naval Crew & Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »
Hrm, just a rogue idea, but the Osprey book on German Kriegsmarine holds an article on merchant ships and other civilian vessels turned into impromptu gunboat. Would also fit the the idea with the drop in decks.

Say one holding a payload with a tarpaulin only to drop said tarpaulin and let a naval gun appear. Anyscale models has cheap deck guns methinks.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
Hrm, just a rogue idea, but the Osprey book on German Kriegsmarine holds an article on merchant ships and other civilian vessels turned into impromptu gunboat. Would also fit the the idea with the drop in decks.

Say one holding a payload with a tarpaulin only to drop said tarpaulin and let a naval gun appear. Anyscale models has cheap deck guns methinks.
Cheers, good ideas.  I've got some photos of German 'Raumboots' here somewhere...

It's occurred to me though, that I've placed the wheelhouse the wrong way round, so that's not a good start... :)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:21:09 PM »

It's occurred to me though, that I've placed the wheelhouse the wrong way round, so that's not a good start... :)

I wouldn't have noticed if that's of any consolation!  lol  Curious to see your project develop though!  :o

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »
Pulp Figures has British, American, and civilian crews, including some gun crews, and also has light deck weapons and a few other items. Look in the British, American, and Savage Seas sections.

Reviresco also has gun crews, but these are small true 25mm figures. Reviresco also has a great selection of guns and ship fittings.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
Someone on another forum has just pointed me to some 'Pulp' figures on the NorthStar website that look perfect and also include 37mm deck-guns, Lew Guns, etc.  I'm still interested to see what else might be out there.  A 4-inch gun and crew might be fun...

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »
Pulp Figures has British, American, and civilian crews, including some gun crews, and also has light deck weapons and a few other items. Look in the British, American, and Savage Seas sections.

Reviresco also has gun crews, but these are small true 25mm figures. Reviresco also has a great selection of guns and ship fittings.
Cheers WP! :)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Pulp Figures have various deck crew and deck weapons in their range, and available in the Uk and Europe from North Star
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
I have the same myself and I think it is this one, the cabin is just reversed:

http://www.minimi.co.uk/products.aspx?page=products&subpage=ships&product=BB03

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »
Brigade Games have deck weapons, merchant and Kriegsmarine crews in their Ends of the Earth range. Artizan has several suitable figures in the Thrilling Tales line.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »
Yep it's definitely a Clyde puffer.
Bob's Pulp figures are the most characterful and quite diverse (I've a couple of sets including the gun crew) Some of the poses are a little difficult to fit onto model boats.Having quite wide stances. The ships guns are a personal favourite as they have a similar bulk to the figures.
Honorable lead boiler suit company has / or had a good range of ship mounted guns.
I'd recommend going down the route of making it a generic hull with modular sections and inlays.
I've made one from cereal pack card that can be put together in several ways infact doubled by turning the whole thing into a paddle steamer versions.
You can knock up plausible deck guns from old paint brushes.( theres pictures floating around on the forum but if your interested I can add some more in the morning.)
Mark.
( my own trawler/merchant mans crew figures will be out later in the year. ;) )

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »
I have the same myself and I think it is this one, the cabin is just reversed:

http://www.minimi.co.uk/products.aspx?page=products&subpage=ships&product=BB03
That's the fella!  Thanks!

Yes, I realised that I had the wheelhouse the wrong way round after I photographed it, as the running lights were the wrong way round and the wheelhouse door should surely be at the back. :)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
Brigade Games have deck weapons, merchant and Kriegsmarine crews in their Ends of the Earth range. Artizan has several suitable figures in the Thrilling Tales line.
Cheers CB!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
First Corps also do a single RN deck crew figure. Available in tin hat or matelot’s cap.

https://1stcorps.co.uk/product-category/20th-century/20th-century-ww2/20th-century-ww2-sailors/
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
First Corps also do a single RN deck crew figure. Available in tin hat or matelot’s cap.

https://1stcorps.co.uk/product-category/20th-century/20th-century-ww2/20th-century-ww2-sailors/
Thanks Carlos!

So basically, every man and his dog make sailors and naval weapons and I've just been too lazy to look...  ::)