Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules  (Read 113719 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Rules
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
@answer_is_42:I wondered what happened to, to my order I mean! I phoned them in the end and they said they had sent an e-mail but I never got it. They explained about waiting for a re-stock and when I talked to them at Phalanx they where still waiting.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »
My two cents...

I have only played Gaslight and I am still learning the rules. Rolling a D20 is a bit strange and the morale system is a bit clunky but the randomised movement is very good. I play Battles by Gaslight. The trick is putting together even forces especially with the different fantastic weapons people come up with. I think the points system in Gaslight needs a bit of work. It can also be difficult finding the right section of the rules you are looking for, flicking back and forth between each book. I hope this will be resolved with the upcoming compendium which hopefully will include an index.

I am nit picking but overall GASLIGHT gives an enjoyable game.

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 12:22:19 AM »
I played GASLIGHT for years, and even put on a very large Landship game at Historicon 2003 with it. The author was there, and seemed to enjoy my quick reference chart with slightly revised vehicle rules...

My issues with Gaslight are similar to Fuzzy. Uncontrolled, the points system can lead to a spiralling arms race, which ends up with players competing to build the biggest, nastiest landships possible. The other issue I have with GASLIGHT, quite frankly, is that it simply is too generic after a while, particularly if you're passionate about VSF. Aside from the font used, there's very little that definitively fixed GASLIGHT as a VSF game. It's very much what you make it, and nothing more. That isn't always a bad thing, but Idunno... I found that Valour, Steel, and Flesh felt a little more like I was playing a game in the era.

One final (minor) issue I have with GASLIGHT is that they haven't really emphasized much beyond the ACW with their scenario books and "official figures". While I think these are both great, I do not immediately think "ACW" when I think VSF. I tend to think more Verne, Wells, Haggard, that sort of thing. This is an -entirely- personal bias, but it's just my opinion.

-Doc

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:10 AM »
I think the generic aspect of the GASLIGHT rules is its strength, as I can pick and choose what aspects of the genre I wish to include and creating our own VSF "world" is part of the fun. Are my flyers using steam power, liftwood, cavorite antigravity, magneeto repulsor rays etc etc. The choice is mine.

However I can see how VSF with an established background like Parroom station or Space 1889 would appeal to players also.

At our club there are just two of us playing Gaslight. I'm playing Brits and my fellow club member Tom is playing the Prussians, but there are rumors of Russian forces, Turks and Chinese(Boxers) soon to make an appearance. 

We have had an arms race also. I had the early lead with more units painted and the impressive HMLS Dauntless, however the Prussians have hit back with several heavy steam tanks, walkers and they soon may take to the air with balloon vehicles.  I love the arms race! I haven't had this much fun scratch building/converting in years!

Cheers Fuzzy

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »
I'm sold on Gaslight and Battles by Gaslight. The rules are very flexible. They also allow you to put a LOT of toys on the tabletop. I range from Lost World and Colonial to VSF scenarios. I am not as excited by the morale rules as they aren't as slick as the rest of the rules.

Thanks,

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has adapted the Beer & Pretzels ACW Ironclad rules for landship combat.  ???
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
wow Im already in a sticky!!! What do you chaps say about Two Hour wargames chain reaction rules?

as much of a THW fan as I am, I think that for this era you would best use a mix of CR3 and CR Swordplay rules.

Why?
CR3 is aimed at modern firefights, and reactions are tailored more to this era. So your basic reaction is usually to fire or duck back. Not much care is taken about slow-reloading weapons like muskets.

CR Swordplay is more melee oriented and firearms are more primitive, so rules for reloading are more important here. Also reaction tables are a bit different. Not so much care is taken of being 'outgunned'...

Both rulesets are skirmish games, where you move all miniatures separately, although gropuing them under some leaders is usually beneficial. If you want more of a period feel, using organized units, rules for formations, and different reactions for tribals and Europeans - check Colonial Adventures out.

Especially now that the free "Steam Punks" expansion was released, and a cool "Colonial Lemuria" setting sourcebook is available...

Of course CA is not free, but CR3 and CR Swordplay are! So why don't you take a look at both CR games if it doesn't cost you anything more than time to download them?
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:24 AM »
I'm looking for a ruleset where I can play a force of maybe 10 figures and has a robust vehicle creation system and good points system.  I'm most familiar with the Rattrap games, and I'm on a budget.  Any suggestions?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »
I'm looking for a ruleset where I can play a force of maybe 10 figures and has a robust vehicle creation system and good points system.  I'm most familiar with the Rattrap games, and I'm on a budget.  Any suggestions?

Are you after a competitive points system? Savage Worlds Showdown is good for small numbers of figures and has a decent vehicle design system. Plus it's free! The troop designer assigns points but it's more of a scenario design set up than a competitive army builder. It works well but you can 'cheat' it very easily.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »
Savage Worlds is my RPG system of choice, so I know the system quite well - I've been able to "game" the points system of the first edition far too easily though.

That and I believe the points designer is an Excel spreadsheet which may or may not work with my Linux/openoffice setup.

Still not worth ruling out though, thanks.

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »

I've used Flying Lead for VSF (a small human squad versus too many lizardmen) and loved it. It's slightly more detailed and realistic than Song of Blades and has a lot of building options for characters, weapons and vehicles. It's not very good for competition, though.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
Savage Worlds is my RPG system of choice, so I know the system quite well - I've been able to "game" the points system of the first edition far too easily though.

That and I believe the points designer is an Excel spreadsheet which may or may not work with my Linux/openoffice setup.

Still not worth ruling out though, thanks.

Currently the unit builder is an excel sheet yeah. The intention is to make it a program at some point apparently but given it's Pinnacle.... I wouldn't hold your breath. No idea if the full thing would work under Openoffice.

You can cheat the system very easily but if you're an 'honest' player, that shouldn't be a problem :D
For example, secondary skills and weapons cost far less than main ones, so I could make a soldier with a d4 in fighting as his main skill and a dagger as his main weapon, then give him a d10 in shooting and an MG42 as a secondary set. He'd be far cheaper than putting them in the other way but it's quite clearly not the way it should be used.

Alternatively of course, you can get someone else to stat up the troops you'll be using. I'd be happy to help out if needed.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »
Been playing miniatures since the 60's, so I'm old school where you often had to create your own rules for anything apart from mainstream historical.  I learned to pick and choose, mix and match and rewrite rules that fit into our game type and play style.  For most of our VSF games we currently use a combination of concepts from Space 1889, Soldiers Companion, GASLIGHT and the D-10 system of combat from .45 Adventures.  I'm reviewing Shadow Worlds for ideas right now. Each system has some really good parts and some weak areas, so the bottom line is to find what works for you, have fun and don't worry about what other peope think about you and your crazy hobby.

Offline ugsome

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 09:16:09 AM »
I can't seem to find any place in Europe that sells VSF.
Checked Caliver without seeing anything on their site.
I would like to avoid ordering from US if I can avoid it.
Any ideas?

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
I think you have to order from the US. We all have the same problem.  :(

I might order it tonight, in fact.