Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules  (Read 113712 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Rules
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
In Her Majesty's Name might be more popular than the rules you mentioned above.

Fantastic set of small unit/skirmish rules but never considered it for larger battles.

Has any one run really large VSF battles with IHMN?
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
Fantastic set of small unit/skirmish rules but never considered it for larger battles.

Has any one run really large VSF battles with IHMN?
I haven't run any large battles but I did have a think once about how to do it if I did. I thought along the lines of a group of figures with the same characteristics and weapons grouped into units with a unit coherency. They'd move and shoot together, yes buckets of dice lol. One or two heavier weapons as support per unit would shoot separately. If a unit took any hits pluck rolls would be taken as normal and if any casualties were suffered it would make another Pluck roll (a rout test) and if it failed would rout a move away from where it was fired upon or it's table edge. If routed before it was activated it would get a chance to make a Pluck roll to rally. Pass activate as normal, fail rout a move again. A leader with a higher Pluck could join a unit and they would roll using the higher pluck for the rout test. I'm not sure how well this would work as these are just some untested thoughts I've had.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2016, 10:48:07 PM »
I think IHMN is too skirmish for what we need.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »
i had good luck with both V&S&F and FUBAR.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2016, 04:03:14 AM »
I would suggest Dragon rampant.  With a little creativity, any unit can be created.   
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2016, 02:54:10 PM »
Has anyone else considered using Black Powder for VSF games ?

The main book has rules for the early Sudan campaigns (1884) so already has Regular infantry and Cavalry, Iregulars, Natives, Machine Guns and BL artillery. Taking that as a starting point, I've written up some rules for Steam Tanks, Armoured Transports and flyers although I have yet to try them on the tabletop.

Has anyone else tried this ?
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
W.S. Churchill

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »
Has anyone else considered using Black Powder for VSF games ?

The main book has rules for the early Sudan campaigns (1884) so already has Regular infantry and Cavalry, Iregulars, Natives, Machine Guns and BL artillery. Taking that as a starting point, I've written up some rules for Steam Tanks, Armoured Transports and flyers although I have yet to try them on the tabletop.

Has anyone else tried this ?
I haven't, but it should work - the VSF addons are fairly easily done.

I'm interested in how Dragon Rampant works for VSF.

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:31 AM »
Attached is a first draft of my BP - VSF rules. Not playtested yet, so any comments are welcome.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
How many miniatures do you use for Black Powder?

Also, about Dragon Rampant, there will be a Rampant Colonialism book, for colonial games, which should work well as a starter, but would still need to have added steam tech and all.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »
I've been comparing rules to use for aerial skirmish and boarding actions with 28mm aeronefs.  Having gone over Ironclads & Ether Flyers, Gaslight, and Pirates, I'm leaning strongly towards Flagship Games' Pirates 3rd Edition.

Has anyone else used those for primarily aerial battles?

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
The May 2017 issue of Miniature Wargames has full rules for Cloudships of Mars (and a side article on kitbashing 1/300 air ships).  Looks like a nicely streamlined variant of 1889 Ironclads & Ether Flyers.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
Has anyone tried Avalon Games' Leviathans? I have the whole three volumes but not played yet, as I haven't any minis available yet, haven't played a game in such a long time, and between the alien geometries (1/72=15mm?) and semi-literacy, I cannot work it out...
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline Tsu

• Assistant
  • Cultist of the Ape
    • Strange Aeons G+ Community
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2022, 06:09:56 AM »
Has anyone played a Space 1889 game with Fistfull of Lead - Bigger Battles? Any experiences / impressions?

I stumbled over the VSF game by  Wiley-Games and it seems ok. Need to know if i need any additional stuff or just the bigge battle book.

Offline FiatRevelli

• Student
    • 54mm Or Fight!
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
Has anyone played a Space 1889 game with Fistfull of Lead - Bigger Battles? Any experiences / impressions?

I've used them and I quite like them - some photos of two games and some brief impressions on my blog: https://54mmorfight.blogspot.com/search/label/Fistful%20of%20Lead

I'll add that I'm a sucker for card-based activation, so I was predestined to like them.

You don't need any of the other FFoL books - but you can bring in traits from the other games as desired (for instance, if you want to add a Horror element to your VSF). The book is a toolkit and includes rules for stating out infantry, cavalry (on horseback or otherwise), commanders, heroes, leaders, vehicles and monsters/beasts.

If there's anything that would be nice for VSF that it doesn't have, it's a check for Sustain for vehicles (GASLIGHT is my first, and favorite, VSF set and that's where I first encountered that idea). I think with steam-powered mechanical hodgepodges that's almost a necessity, but it's easy enough to add.