Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules  (Read 114148 times)

Offline ugsome

• Librarian
Re: Rules
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Alright. US it is. Thanks for the answer.

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
I just got VSF from Paltroon can'rt wait to read it and Skyrunners as well :D
Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
Age of Extraordinary Gentlemen is in the files section here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Royal_Ngombe_River_Company/?yguid=197258503

It is D&D based, and there is a version compatible with 0ed to 2ed, and one for 3ed and 3.5ed.  None for 4ed, sorry.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
Anyone ever tried the Space 1889 miniature rules? i mean the expansion "Soldier's Companion" and "Ironclads & Etherflyers"

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »
Anyone ever tried the Space 1889 miniature rules? i mean the expansion "Soldier's Companion" and "Ironclads & Etherflyers"

There have been a couple of threads a while back on both "Soldier's Companion" and "Ironclads & Etherflyers".

If you do a search you should come up with some stuff.

They are a good set of rules and the mechanics seem sound. Only had one game, but I enjoyed it and it all seemed to progress in a believable fashion.

edit  Having said that, I've just searched and couldn't find anything. Bizarre - I could have sworn I'd seen and participated in them  ???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:49:36 AM by Gluteus Maximus »

Offline Micman

• Lurker
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
The group I game VSF with uses Space 1889 as the background storyThe rules on the tabletop are modified The Sword and the Flame. Of course that does limit what kind of interesting toys we can bring to the table. Any weapons or hardware must be based off of something in Space 1889 or it's companion books. I ran a very enjoyable game on Venus yesterday with 8 players.It ran very well and they all had a good time.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
There have been a couple of threads a while back on both "Soldier's Companion" and "Ironclads & Etherflyers".

If you do a search you should come up with some stuff.

They are a good set of rules and the mechanics seem sound. Only had one game, but I enjoyed it and it all seemed to progress in a believable fashion.

edit  Having said that, I've just searched and couldn't find anything. Bizarre - I could have sworn I'd seen and participated in them  ???

Wasn't there a bundle at RPGNow or one of the download web stores recently?   I bought the PDFs somewhere recently.

Edit:  http://www.rpgnow.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Space+1889&x=0&y=0&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:01:36 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
Yes it was at RPGNow/WargamesVault. I didn't get them as I already have Soldier's Companion and Ironclads & Etherflyers as proper books.

I don't know if they are still doing the PDFs, but it was a good deal and worth getting.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
So it doesn't get lost, I'll also mention my VSF expansion for FUBAR, from this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=24009.0
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 02:34:20 AM »
I use Savage Worlds.

I don't use the point system from Showdown. I don't think it makes for very balanced forces. I just use whatever would be sensible in a given scenario.

There's a lot of good stuff out there you could use in the Rippers's books, the Pulp Toolkits, and now Savage Worlds Space: 1889 Red Sands...

tim
Savage Timmy's Playhouse

Offline KimAllman

• Student
  • Cathago delenda est!
    • The Art of Kim Allman
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
I am another vote for Valor & Steel & Flesh. The game is extremely adaptable and I have always liked the rule system for Brother Against Brother. VSF has more ways to tweak the game than basic Brother Against Brother and Bob Charette's figures are just wonderful. You do not need his figures to play VSF btw.
History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme. - Mark Twain

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
    • Dastardly Designed Games
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
Has anyone on here played When the Navy Walked? What do you think of the system? The Martian supplement will be out soon. Since this thread is more for customers than it is for producers I will say that am involved in the project but that I am curious to see what people think. There have been a few reviews but who's playing it?

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »
I've definitely got to go along with recommending the Valor, Steel and Flesh rules.

When I first saw these, I asked the guy behind the counter at the London War Room at a convention, what they were like.  He knew who I was, and he replied, "They're better than your rules [GASLIGHT].  We took your rules and fixed what we didn't like."  I took no offense.  In fact,  I think that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Give GASLIGHT a try.  We intentionally do NOT impose our vision of VSF on the players.  That's one of the reasons we think the rules have been so successful.  You can use whatever figures you have and add VSF to them.  In my case, my VSF is based on the Northwest Frontier and Moros in the Philippines.  Chris' VSF is based on the American Civil War.  Others are based on that famous Prussian invasion of Texas.

Buck

Watch for The GASLIGHT Compendium due in June!

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
One final (minor) issue I have with GASLIGHT is that they haven't really emphasized much beyond the ACW with their scenario books and "official figures". While I think these are both great, I do not immediately think "ACW" when I think VSF. I tend to think more Verne, Wells, Haggard, that sort of thing. This is an -entirely- personal bias, but it's just my opinion.

We haven't put out any additional scenario books, although we had plans for many, because the sales of the first one was disappointing.  Personally, I don't play civil war.  My VSF is based on the Northwest Frontier and Moros in the Philippines.

We made a CONCIOUS decision not to provide a background story and environment so that people could play Victorian science fiction with whatever they had or however they envisioned the genre.  With GASLIGHT you have the flexibility to do whatever you want.  The only think we imposed was the idea that Victorian technology would be finicky, hence the Sustain rolls to keep the various vehicles and contraptions moving.  We think this provides a nice bit of period feel.

-- Buck

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has adapted the Beer & Pretzels ACW Ironclad rules for landship combat.  ???
I hand't thought about that, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.  I think you could use the recent spate of Victorian science fiction naval vehicles and make a really fun game without much work.  Let me know how it works out for you (surdu@acm.org).

Buck Surdu