Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690582
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Civil War books [military]  (Read 1426 times)

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Spanish Civil War books [military]
« on: February 14, 2019, 08:54:12 AM »
Hello everybody, I am looking for a book in history of the Spanish Civil War, emphasizing  the military aspects of the war instead of the history and political events. Beevor's book is good but it is rather a general and  concise history-I need something more.The Osprey books have many [perhaps too many] details on uniforms jackets and arms, but I am NOT interested in this either. I need a book emphasizing battle tactics, description of many battles, opposing plans, and troop quality. There are thousands of such books for Napoleonic period or WWI,WWII, but I have seen none for the SCW. I wonder if anyone could help me with this ? I would be grateful.

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
Re: Spanish Civil War books [military]
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
How about Bob Cordery's "La Ultima Cruzada : A Wargamers Guide to the Spanish Civil War" ? You could also check out his blogposts on the Spanish Civil War at http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com/ or get in touch with him for further recommendations.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
I would agree with the recommendation of Bob Cordery's book, loaded with information.  I think you may want to look for books that cover specific battles.  There is at least one book on Guernica,  one on the Siege of the Alcazar, and several on the battles for Madrid.  Books on the Abraham Lincoln Brigade will give you a pretty good feel for tactics and organization.  Jarama was the first big test for all the International Brigades, so any book on the Brigades will cover Jarama in some detail.  Best thing to do is to pick up the latest Edition of Hugh Thomas book "The Spanish Civil War", and go through the Bibliography.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
Thank you very much guys. You really helped me very much. There is a gap here in bibliography, so I knew I had to ask the experts to get the stuff I needed.  ;) Thanks again very much. [If there is any more info, please post it here. It will be appreciated]