Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689632
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: East Prussian railway signal box  (Read 1008 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
East Prussian railway signal box
« on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:59 AM »
The fourth scenario in the Westwind campaign for Chain of Command features a railway line and a signal box. Not easy to find a suitable building in 20mm believe it or not, but I think I stumbled on something in 1/72 from MiniArt that will do the job nicely. I've put together a bit of a step-by-step on how I put this together on my blog (http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2019/02/railway-signal-box.html), but here is a before-and-after shot. Hopefully it will be making an appearance in a few weeks time once we reach scenario four of the campaign.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: East Prussian railway signal box
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:14:07 AM »
Lovely work! You've done a grand job with that.

Glad to see you persisted with a Mini Art kit. I have bought a couple. The house was so badly engineered, I ended up binning it, just keeping things like the windows for the scratch build parts box. The fort languishes part made and unloved.

It would have cost them little effort and no real loss in modularity to have included tabs or keys to allow for better adhesion and plumb lines on walls.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:04:06 AM »
Lovely work! You've done a grand job with that.

Glad to see you persisted with a Mini Art kit. I have bought a couple. The house was so badly engineered, I ended up binning it, just keeping things like the windows for the scratch build parts box. The fort languishes part made and unloved.

It would have cost them little effort and no real loss in modularity to have included tabs or keys to allow for better adhesion and plumb lines on walls.

Glad it wasn’t just me then! There was a moment when this came very close to getting binned. As you say no tabs or locating pins resulting in a lot of fiddly guesswork. The metal staircase in this kit was a case in point, at one stage I considered just making one from scratch. I’m happy with the end result, but as you say, they are not doing themselves any favours.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:59 AM »
Nicely done  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
Beautiful work! It hits the nail and shows a perfect example of northern German railway architecture. Does it have a larger window on the other side?
If you want to detail it: Normally there would have been a station name on it (black letters on white enamel).
Correct lettering for the main signal box in German stations would be a capital first letter of the city and a small f for Fahrdienstleiter - like "Nf" for Neustadt or "Pf" for Potsdam - painted in white on the bricks.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »
Beautiful work! It hits the nail and shows a perfect example of northern German railway architecture. Does it have a larger window on the other side?

This is the other side, not a larger window but two windows? Is that about right? Thanks for the tip on the station signs as well, I will look into how I can add those details.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »
This is the other side, not a larger window but two windows? Is that about right

That is fine as well. Most signal boxes tend to provide a good overview to the signals and points to switch, but I've seen some with less glass too. This is an example that has better view: