Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690650
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Pulp Alley - Second Edition  (Read 21444 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Pulp Alley - Second Edition
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 02:22:22 PM »
"> The -1 Shoot penalty for running-and-shooting is now limited to your own activation only. This removes the need for using counters and/or trying to remember it later on."

Funny, we always played it this way, never realized the penalty is active when shooting back.  :D

Yes, in 1st edition if you ran during your activation then that penalty applies for the entire turn. In 2nd Edition, that penalty only applies to the current activation.

"> Updated and clarified rules for Bursts. Normally, a burst takes effect and is then removed – rather than lingering until the end of the turn"

Don´t sure if I like this. Placing bursts is a great way to block paths or line-of-sight for enemies. But I suppose it will speed up play. Same goes for this:

This is actually one of the reason for this change. In the early days, I envisioned bursts as being fairly rare - so it was not a big deal. Currently, they can be a little bit unbalancing because they can be placed on an enemy without any threat to yourself - potentially inflicting injury, and affecting the enemy's movement and line-of-sight for the entire turn. It's just a bit too much and can bog the game down when used too frequently.

"> The “normal” way to determine a peril challenge is to draw it from the top of the deck. And we removed the rule for “extreme perils” – so there is one type of peril."

I assume now all perils are treated as extreme perils? So you always have to face a peril when attempting a plot point or perilous area? However, drawing always from top of deck is a good idea: It speeds up play, especially in multi-players, and it gives lower level characters a better chance to overcome a challenge. In our games you can count on that allies always have to face a 3-success challenge when it comes from a players hand..... :) :)

This one took quite a bit of playtesting before I was convinced to change it. First, I am a big proponent of encouraging players to use their brains and make decisions - rather than being a spectator. After playtesting the new version a bunch of times I was definitely sold - and Pulp Alley stills has TONS of places for players to make all kinds of decisions so I didn't miss it at all.

Basically the new Perils rules work the same way as Perils in solo games. So when you encounter a peril, it is drawn from the top. This means that your weak skills don't get targeted - but it also means there are fewer walk-throughs. There are still a couple abilities that allow you to play a peril straight from your hand - so it is not gone completely.  ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
Thanks for the list Dave.

Yay for hiding as an action rather than a full action! That one never got used.
Hear hear! This certainly makes stealth leagues more viable.

All the changes look really solid. Fat trimmed and everything streamlined, just the way things ought to be.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 11:11:36 PM »
If I click on the 2nd Edition banner at the foot of Dave’s posts, I just go to the PA shop with no mention of 2nd Edition. So where is the project at? Is it a current Kickstarter? A completed Kickstarter? Any info on likely availability dates? Prices?

I’m hungry for more info :)

Doug

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
If I click on the 2nd Edition banner at the foot of Dave’s posts, I just go to the PA shop with no mention of 2nd Edition. So where is the project at? Is it a current Kickstarter? A completed Kickstarter? Any info on likely availability dates? Prices?

I’m hungry for more info :)

Doug

The Kickstarter starts on March 1st I believe. The posts here are to build hype and spread the word.

Dave, please correct me if I am wrong on any account.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 01:44:45 AM »
Count me in. I'd love to re-acquaint myself and our group to Pulp Alley. Looking forward to it.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 02:17:25 AM »
Shouldn't be too hard to build some hype.  I am definitely all in.  lol
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »
If I click on the 2nd Edition banner at the foot of Dave’s posts, I just go to the PA shop with no mention of 2nd Edition. So where is the project at? Is it a current Kickstarter?

Currently we are finalizing the files and getting everything ready for the printers.

We're planning to launch this Pulp Alley Kickstarter on March 1st.  And we're hoping to be shipping new books by July.

More to come....

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »
Currently we are finalizing the files and getting everything ready for the printers.

We're planning to launch this Pulp Alley Kickstarter on March 1st.  And we're hoping to be shipping new books by July.

More to come....

Thank you - I’m suitably hyped and primed.... :D

Doug

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Sally 4th is a collaborator on the Pulp Alley Kickstarter.
We will be fulfilling the UK & European pledges so that backers avoid postage rates from US and the risk of customs clearance / import duty fees, which I think is a very helpful move.
I for one, can't wait to get started with the new rules. I particularly like the changes to Burst as Lewis uses it a lot to freeze movement.
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
 :-* I love Sally 4th, what with this news and last years Spies & Patriots!   (And you too Dave!)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:49:44 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »
Sally 4th is a collaborator on the Pulp Alley Kickstarter.
We will be fulfilling the UK & European pledges so that backers avoid postage rates from US and the risk of customs clearance / import duty fees, which I think is a very helpful move.
I for one, can't wait to get started with the new rules. I particularly like the changes to Burst as Lewis uses it a lot to freeze movement.
How will a certain 'event' affect non-UK backers if it happens?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Don't worry, There is not going to be a no-deal Brexit and even if there was books and leaflets are exempt of import duty and VAT within the EU. All it will mean as that Sally 4th will need to fill in Customs Declarations in the same way that we do when we ship stuff to customers outside the EU.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2019, 11:23:04 AM »
Don't worry, There is not going to be a no-deal Brexit and even if there was books and leaflets are exempt of import duty and VAT within the EU. All it will mean as that Sally 4th will need to fill in Customs Declarations in the same way that we do when we ship stuff to customers outside the EU.
Cheers.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
We're planning to launch our Kickstarter tomorrow. THANKS for supporting Pulp Alley!  :-* --

HAVE FUN

Offline Ironhead

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
Have I said yet that I can't wait!