Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Pulp Alley - Second Edition  (Read 21250 times)

Offline Ironhead

• Bookworm
Re: Pulp Alley - Second Edition
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:37 PM »
Innocent Bystanders you say?

Interesting... tell me more about these when combined with explosives/flames...

Boom and Poof?

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »
So, Ironhead, there IS hope.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 04:31:32 AM »
I have been resisting Pulp Alley because my opponent thinks pulp gaming is silly.  To me it sounds like fun.  The solo rules would make this a doable game.  (Or, maybe, I need my grognard opponent to be a little more....open minded.  :?  )

Set up some scenarios that don't involve weird stuff. If you have Napoleonic or WW2 skirmish figures, maybe you could convince your grognard to try it. I lean toward the historical end of the spectrum myself,
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »
Will the current solo rules/deck be compatible with 2nd edition?

Doug

Offline Ironhead

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Will the current solo rules/deck be compatible with 2nd edition?

Doug

Yes, according to Dave, 100% compatible.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »
Western games are a good way to introduce 'serious' gamers into the fun that is Pulp Alley!
I have been running the Vice Alley campaign in a western setting, which has been loads of fun.

Here's a write up of one of our games on my hobby blog: https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Hobby_Blog/Pulp_Alley_-_Vice_Alley_Western_Campaign_part_1
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
Did you ever get around to posting the stat cards for this game, Chris? They would be useful to a new player who could leap straight in.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
I have been waiting for this one. Pulp Alley is tops on my list.
A.Nik-

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »
I already own everything you've printed, but I will be interested to see the differences.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »
I already own everything you've printed, but I will be interested to see the differences.

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head ---

> Added a few new rules relating to character creation to encouraged balance. For example, a character cannot have two abilities that reduce the same skill to 0 dice.

> Added some new Abilities and updated some old Abilities. For example, Nerves of Steel no longer requires discarding. And some changes are fairly meaningless but have been nagging at me over the years - so Short Blast is now called Short Burst.

> Added some new Perks and updated some old Perks.

> For Associates, we added a few new Abilities and added a new rule to make Associates easier to use.

> Terrors were renamed “Epic Characters”. Otherwise, I think we only updated one Epic Ability.

> We redefined who is “ready”. This was done to make it easier to identify and to broaden its scope a little.

> The -1 Shoot penalty for running-and-shooting is now limited to your own activation only. This removes the need for using counters and/or trying to remember it later on.

> The “normal” way to determine a peril challenge is to draw it from the top of the deck. And we removed the rule for “extreme perils” – so there is one type of peril.

> Added rules for a “difficult areas” to provide more options and variety. For example, a difficult area is only perilous if you are moving fast.

> Added rules for "obscuring areas" to add more options for being in cover.

> Added and expanded rules for conditions – such as impaired, hindered, and exhausted.

> Updated and clarified rules for Bursts. Normally, a burst takes effect and is then removed – rather than lingering until the end of the turn. In addition we clarified how bursts are placed.

> Updated Stealth to make it easier to include in scenarios. For example, going into hiding is now an action - instead of a full action.

> Updated some assets/resources.

> Updated some of the optional weapons kits.

I'm sure I missed something but that covers a lot of it.  :D

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
Like Sinewgrab I own everything you've printed to date, are there books that I can now give to friends (like Gadgets, Guns, and Vehicles for example) who don't have them that will be in the new second edition? Or should I still keep everything?
I will definitely be all in on the new Kickstarter when the time comes  :D

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
Thanks for the list Dave.

Yay for hiding as an action rather than a full action! That one never got used.

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
 :o Absolutely amazing!

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »
"> The -1 Shoot penalty for running-and-shooting is now limited to your own activation only. This removes the need for using counters and/or trying to remember it later on."

Funny, we always played it this way, never realized the penalty is active when shooting back.  :D

"> Updated and clarified rules for Bursts. Normally, a burst takes effect and is then removed – rather than lingering until the end of the turn"

Don´t sure if I like this. Placing bursts is a great way to block paths or line-of-sight for enemies. But I suppose it will speed up play. Same goes for this:

"> The “normal” way to determine a peril challenge is to draw it from the top of the deck. And we removed the rule for “extreme perils” – so there is one type of peril."

I assume now all perils are treated as extreme perils? So you always have to face a peril when attempting a plot point or perilous area? However, drawing always from top of deck is a good idea: It speeds up play, especially in multi-players, and it gives lower level characters a better chance to overcome a challenge. In our games you can count on that allies always have to face a 3-success challenge when it comes from a players hand..... :) :)

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
"> The -1 Shoot penalty for running-and-shooting is now limited to your own activation only. This removes the need for using counters and/or trying to remember it later on."

So I guess these are soon to be seen in the Marketplace...?