Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Birnam wood . An all tree army for Kow and such like.  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
Birnam wood . An all tree army for Kow and such like.
« on: February 21, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
I usually play Kow , only small games due to table size . I have been planning a campaign based on Shakespeare's scottish play ( don't say it!) . Although it has been done before I wanted to try a Nature army just made up of plants. So I came up with the army of Birnam wood. For those who don't know the story , 3 witches prophesied that Macbeth(doh!) Would be king until Birnam wood marched on dunsinane hill.
Centered on a tree herder called Birnam the army consists of lots of ents and dryad types. Not sure how well it will play but it was fun and quick to put together. I have a few plans to expand it . Anyway here are a few pics. I hope you like . 

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
Re: Birnam wood . An all tree army for Kow and such like.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
Some extra

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »
What an interesting idea for an army.  What is the source of the tree stumps with faces and the tree herder?  I recently found the Warhammer "Tragedy of McDeath" packed away safely many years ago and even a few of the figures so this idea may get borrowed. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 05:02:01 PM »
The stumps are from a company called green stuff world if I.remember correctly. They are spanish who do stuff in resin, mostly they seem to focus on paints and modelling equip. I think I.got them off ebay.. about £10 for 8. Cheaper than buying 8 tree men! I have macdeth too! And orcs drift. They are perfect for small games , maybe even skirmish games like dragon rampant. I would love to see the figures if you have time to photograph them .

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »
The tree herder is from mantic. Quite a big fellow! In resin a multi part kit. I was a little daunted at first but he went together very easily . He is more 3D than most treemen branches everywhere!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »
Nice idea, well executed.
Always nice to see someone branching out.

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
 I can not be-leaf you made that joke.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »
Cool army.

I've had a nature army for KoW (in 10mm) for a number of years, its a fun army to play. I've not tried a pure tree army - but am tempted now! There is certainly a good mix of units within the 'tree' options, lots of Vanguard to take your attack to the enemy.

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:16:20 PM »
Fitting to call an army of Ents Birnam wood.. since it was partly Tolkein's disappointment with how the Birnam Wood part of the prophecy was handled in The Scottish Play that he created the Ents and Huorns.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Letter_163
https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/the_letters_of_j.rrtolkien.pdf

But  looking  back  analytically  I  should  say  that  Ents  are  composed  of  philology, literature,  and  life.  They  owe  their  name  to  the  eald  enta  geweorc of  Anglo-Saxon,  and  their  connexion  with  stone. Their  pan  in  the  story  is  due,  I  think,  to  my  bitter  disappointment  and  disgust  from  schooldays  with  the  shabby  use made in Shakespeare of the coming of 'Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill': I longed to devise a setting in which the trees might really march to war.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
A very good idea, and one I've been thinking of myself over the years; gathering all kinds of treemen, ents and other leafy creatures from different makes to be used as either a warband, allies for an elf army, or something else. I've got some old WHFB (metal) dryads all basecoated up, and some other tree creatures waiting in the queu, but never got so far as to assemble an entire grove.

Your force is looking really great though; the inclusion of loads of different miniatures from a range of sources works exceptionally well, and the painting is just as effective. I really like it!

Please keep adding to your forest and sharing the additions here :)

What make are the treemen in the second picture btw?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
Anyone know how the mantic tree guy compares in size to the GW LotR ents?  I like that general style.

Edit: Specifically I'm wondering about the Mantic Tree Herder.  I guess if I know his size, I can go measure my LotR ents and compare.

Creature Caster has a beautiful tree guy, but he's over $100.

andy

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:38:29 PM by andyskinner »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »
Great idea... very cool.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »

What make are the treemen in the second picture btw?

They are forest shamblers from mantic games. The one at the back I am not sure about. A random one I had!

Offline Godwin

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
 I have a few extra pieces to add soon. From reaper miniatures I have a couple of triffid like plants to use as wardens and a dragon plant from reaper I have nicknamed Audrey III to use as a monster. Also I backed a halfling kickstarter from tt cinbat which includes some treemen and some shuffling mounds like swamp creatures I may use as elementals. I have used orclings/snotlings with foliage on their heads as forest critters/sprites. I call them the evil broccoli.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
The tree herder is from mantic. Quite a big fellow! In resin a multi part kit. I was a little daunted at first but he went together very easily . He is more 3D than most treemen branches everywhere!

Many thanks.  I have some old Miniature Figurines Ents and Huorns, some old Marauder treemen, GW metal dryads and some from other manufacturers that have appeared in our Doctor Who games as the dreaded alien Arborites.