Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:30:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ras el Hanout, Men Who Would be Kings  (Read 1505 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Ras el Hanout, Men Who Would be Kings
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:01:14 PM »
The mule train stopped at the oasis of Ras el Hanout. You know the story - it was quiet, too quiet... https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Alexis Tolmatchev

• Schoolboy
    • Le club des coeurs de plomb du sergent Poivre
Re: Ras el Hanout, Men Who Would be Kings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »
Waiting for the rule to arrive at home. Thanks for the share they seems great for the period.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:06 AM »
Always appreciate that you share so many games with us here at LAF.  I have the Men Would, etc. (nice abbreviation) rules but haven't played them yet.  I'm a bit put off by rolling too many dice but I'm considering reconsidering that mind set - unless I get time and energy to come with a more simplified system that doesn't 'break' the rules.  I'm hoping for the latter over the former!   ;)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:19:16 AM »
Just purchased Rebels & Patriots, the next iteration of the Lion Rampant stable. It is stripped down.

In Men Who Would (etc.) each unit has a leader and his skill is rolled for, thus each unit has a separate activation/pin/rally number to keep track of.

In R&P, all normal units are 6, green are 7, veteran 5 with two possible modifiers. There is only one leader (you, the player) . I find keeping track of the traits of a single leader not an issue, whereas I ignored the leader traits in my test, there being so many leaders.

In Men Who (etc) you roll dice for each figure in the unit (sometimes halved). In R&P, standard units roll 12 dice if they are not disordered, 6 dice if they are, so no counting figures. Units break upon receiving their third disorder marker. Combat is still bucket of dice but there's no check if the unit leader got hit and all stats are pretty much the same. Sounds like it will go even faster than Men Who Would (Etc).

Hey, if you've got the rules already, give 'em a spin. Then decide if you have a problem with all the dice.

Offline Alexis Tolmatchev

• Schoolboy
    • Le club des coeurs de plomb du sergent Poivre
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KZ4yk8odk

It seems nice too, loads of dices but usual since the 80's. The scenario is quite strait forward.