Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Multi-purpose terrain  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Multi-purpose terrain
« on: March 06, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »
One of the things I tend to talk about with .45 Adventure is the fact that you can play good games in a small area. This is perfect for those with little space to set out a big game.

Well, as an extension of that, I try to plan the terrain boards I build to have multiple uses. I don't fix my buildings in place and often build some flat boards that I will stack things onto.

Now, this may not be something new to most of you and I know lots of people use this trick for swapping out weapons on larger miniatures, but I am playing around with rare eath magnets. The piece I'm working on now is a sewer board for a convention game. I don't want to afix all the walls in place because I would like to be able to move things around. I also don't want to punch holes for pegs, since that limits the configurations. I could just "sit" the walls on the space, but with all the commotion at a convention game, I know they would get banged and shifted alot.

So, I picked up some of these hi-powered magnets. The smallest ones are about the size of a pencil eraser. I was experimenting with them last night. Because they are so strong, the magnetic attraction works through thin layers of paper or cardboard (or in my case last night, sandpaper). I slip one beneath the sandpaper floor tiling, and put one in the foam-core wall. They attach with a bond strong enough to keep the wall in place from the casual bumps, but the walls can still be moved as needed for different configurations.

This has, of course, led me to ponder how else they can be used. I'm in the planning stages for a piece for GenCon in August and I think I am going to make good use of these magnets so that I can build a beautiful piece, but still make it easily transportable. I'll be able to sculpt trees without large bases and simply have magnets in place for where they need to go. If I don't want to put a tree in that place for a different game, I can put a magnet into a rock or shrub instead.

I'll be sure to post pictures on the Pulp Heroes site when I have something finished, but I just wanted to share my initial thoughts.

You can see the many types of magnets here:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?PARTNER=Google&gclid=CNbYu9aw4IoCFSBYSgodlTHmxQ
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Multi-purpose terrain
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:16 PM »
One could also glue the sandpaper or a marble foil or whatever you want as ground on a metal plate (e.g. from an old computer chassis or from a washing machine). So the magnetic pieces would stick everywhere.

This sounds so easy, I'd like to try it myself... damn... no more new projects!
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline NetTerrain

• Assistant
    • http://www.netterrain.de
Multi-purpose terrain
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 05:28:21 PM »
I tried the "hill with magnet paper" and "tree with small magnets as a base" a while ago, is sitting on the huge mound of unfinished projects.

Looks good and eleminates the problem of using up too much storage