Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Axis and Allies 2nd Edition, full play through Video  (Read 654 times)

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
Axis and Allies 2nd Edition, full play through Video
« on: February 24, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
The latest Storm of Steel Wargaming Boardgame Archaeology #video is this full play through of Axis & Allies 2nd Edition! It's a long video, so get some snacks!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Axis and Allies 2nd Edition, full play through Video
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
One of my favourite board games. Although I prefer the later editions that include Italy, bidding on technological developments, etc.
Great game though, even in its basic form.

Indeed, many board games are better in their basic form.

Just played the latest (3rd edition) Fantasy Flight Game of Thrones board game with 8 players, including Essos and dragons... Much too complicated now. And too crowded with so many players. Almost impossible to see how anyone can win... the early editions of many of these games often remain the best...

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks Buddy! I played A&A to death as a kid, I was obsessed with this version of it.

The only other games I've played in the series were the D-Day version and 1914. I really enjoyed the D-Day one and the game I played was very tense, with the result being decided on the last turn!

I've played the 1914 one only once really, it took forever and I gave up after about five moves as it didn't really seem to be going anywhere. I was most disappointed by 1914 by the lack of components, the IPC tracker was next to impossible to use and there was no paper currency included, with the rules telling you to make note on a piece of paper!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »

Indeed, many board games are better in their basic form.

Just played the latest (3rd edition) Fantasy Flight Game of Thrones board game with 8 players, including Essos and dragons... Much too complicated now. And too crowded with so many players. Almost impossible to see how anyone can win... the early editions of many of these games often remain the best...

Very much true for a lot of classic games. The more elements and players are added, the more difficult it is to get to the essence of the game, namely the fun playing it.

The same is imo true for Supremacy and its expansions as well as Twilight Empire, which I still enjoy most in its first edition.

A&A, however, I only played in the 1st (?) ed, which I liked, but thought to be a bit on the simple side. Nevertheless it was great fun.