Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Should there be another Lead Painters League this year?

Yes, I would love to see all those shiny entries every Sunday morning, but can't participate myself!
96 (57.5%)
Yes, I'm eager to participate in LPL 13!
32 (19.2%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with the old rules (no knock-out phase)!
16 (9.6%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with two weeks time between the rounds!
21 (12.6%)
No, we don't need it anymore.
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?  (Read 19318 times)

Offline Figouze

• Scientist
Re: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »

I would like to participate but I think it is quite broken actually as you may paint in advance the miniatures.

You may paint your whole year with your 400 miniatures, just to have your 10 entries  for the league.
So, in the challenge, you have 40 miniatures with each shot when someone manage to paint 5, where is the challenge ?
You don't post any miniatures on the forum and wait for the league, it is not a funny behaviour.

For me, my main goal will be to paint more miniatures in the time we have.
For example, you have 2 weeks to paint 5 miniatures and take a picture of those.
It may be a challenge for some of us who try to paint more often.
In 20 weeks, you manage to paint 50 miniatures for your project like a game, challenging with other painters.
We see so many black undercoat miniatures in the game table.
You may be newbie or not, but you manage to paint your crispy miniatures.

The initial goal is to paint more miniatures for the pleasure, and follow the communauty.
Have fun with the others in painting and looking for new models/idea.

Just my 2 cents.  ;)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2019, 01:22:33 AM »
I would say that if the LPL motivated you to paint more then it has done it's job.  Doesn't matter if it's before or during to me.   My problem is all the beautiful entries usually motivate me to buy more figures.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

I prefer the way LPL was run before. IIRC the purpose of the LPL was to get people to paint a bunch of minis in a given amount of time whatever was their “painting level” is…  ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
This is dragging on longer than brexit. Are we doing it or not?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2019, 11:59:28 PM »
We need to get a good solid read on ‘the will of the people’  ;)

I’ve already started painting though  :D

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
I'm in

few figures already painted but not necessarily in sets.  2 Kickstarters coming in the near future so may have some nice extra's to dabble into as well plus some stuff I wanted to do last year but still haven't painted

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 01:32:44 AM »

It's not that bad.  There has only been one vote so far.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2019, 01:54:36 AM »
Just received an order of Foundry 'flesh' triad paints so I am keen to try them out on any number of semi-clad figures, so I am in!
Format does not matter too much to me, I just want the inspiration to get moving on stuff.
I liked the idea of themed rounds as it 'makes' me tackle projects that are not right in front of me, and that are not getting done. Basically it would allow me to branch out a bit...
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2019, 04:37:41 PM »

Well, let's see where we stand: I started this poll on the 24th of February, so one month ago. In this time just 119 members demean themselfs to vote. 119 from something around 7.000+ members!
Would we call it "enough interest"? I won't. And then, from those 119 sixty two would just like to be entertained every Sunday morning, not participate.

It's too bad. I'm very disappointed, and even if Alex and Richard try hard to drum up interest, for me the Lead Painters League has found it's end. But it's not my decision, so if there will be enough volunteers running another one, just do it, without me.

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 05:00:18 PM »
Looking at it another way, though, of the people who voted, 55 said they would participate, which would make it the 2nd largest LPL participation (looks like the highest was Season 5 with 72 painters). Throwing out the high of 72 and last season's low of 12, the average participation seems to hover around the mid 30s.

-Elroy

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »
Well, let's see where we stand: I started this poll on the 24th of February, so one month ago. In this time just 119 members demean themselfs to vote. 119 from something around 7.000+ members!
Would we call it "enough interest"? I won't. And then, from those 119 sixty two would just like to be entertained every Sunday morning, not participate.

It's too bad. I'm very disappointed, and even if Alex and Richard try hard to drum up interest, for me the Lead Painters League has found it's end. But it's not my decision, so if there will be enough volunteers running another one, just do it, without me.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. The response has been lacklustre to say the least, time has marched on, there just doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm. I guess it has gone the way of so many other forum activities, just trickling away until a few diehards remain. Every empire crumbles in the end. Shame, but maybe better to say a fond farewell now.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2019, 10:26:09 PM »
Would hate to say farewell without one more go - like Elroy says above, if 55 did participate that would well be worth it.

Surely worth at least once more and see what the passing voter numbers are like?

If we got 50-odd participants, even 40 or so, plus a decent number of voters who are interested in seeing the pictures and voting but maybe not invested enough to get involved in the conversation here, that would be a good result surely.

Better place to judge whether there are legs left in it after one more hurrah than let it slip away quietly into the night without an attempt...?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:27:58 PM by TheBlackCrane »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2019, 07:20:15 AM »
Sadly, I have to agree with you. The response has been lacklustre to say the least, time has marched on, there just doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm. I guess it has gone the way of so many other forum activities, just trickling away until a few diehards remain. Every empire crumbles in the end. Shame, but maybe better to say a fond farewell now.

I don't get where that comes from.  There are 55 people showing an interest. Even if 20 of those not participating in the end,  thats a decent number and well worth an interest. I  think the problem is rather that the old gard may be a bit blasé. I know *I* certainly do a few things here out of a sense of duty (not that that it is a huge burden) rather than inspiration. Perhaps involving someone (or a few) who has *not* taken a crack as showrunner could sprout some new thoughts and spark into it.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »
I think it may be time for those in control to make a final decision as to whether we go for another year and when it is held otherwise we will procrastinate till next year and lose any impetus there may be.

Irrespective I'd like to thank the Admiral for all he has done for the LPL over the years as he has been a pivotal part of the whole experience.

If there is anything I can do to help (not a computer techie person) I'm willing to help out.

I hope the decision will be for at least one last hurrah  (trumpets blown)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »
Maybe we should take some indicative votes on the way forward? That will make things much clearer.  :D