Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:02:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686506
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Should there be another Lead Painters League this year?

Yes, I would love to see all those shiny entries every Sunday morning, but can't participate myself!
96 (57.5%)
Yes, I'm eager to participate in LPL 13!
32 (19.2%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with the old rules (no knock-out phase)!
16 (9.6%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with two weeks time between the rounds!
21 (12.6%)
No, we don't need it anymore.
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?  (Read 19314 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
This is just an opportunity to show if there is enough interest for running another show. Please feel free to comment on any related things like rules changes, theme rounds, running time etc. Keep in mind that in the end it will be the decision of the organising team if there would be another Lead Painters League at all.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:46:01 PM »
Oh God... I said I was retiring from the LPL... Hmmm...  lol

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
If it runs, I will try my best to commit to it. Thought about it last year but didn't happen.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 04:12:56 PM »
No knockout, two week gaps and no themes (or more open themes) would be my preference. Most of my planned painting is fantasy this year, so it's hard to fit that into some of the themes from yesteryear.

Online Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
I'm up for it however I think broad themes would suit me best as I don't really want to have to purchase extra miniatures for it.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
No knockout, two week gaps and no themes (or more open themes) would be my preference. Most of my planned painting is fantasy this year, so it's hard to fit that into some of the themes from yesteryear.

With the traditional 10 round approach, with three theme bonus rounds, we’ve generally gone for one broadly ‘historical’ theme, one broadly fantasy or sci-fi theme, and one that could be either. So it’s not really too onerous. The original intention, I think, was that if you really wanted to chase down the maximum points, you might just have to paint one or two teams that you ordinarily wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, in order to demonstrate one’s adaptability / versatility :)

Not a bad idea as far as I’m concerned, even though, down the years, it’s led me to have to paint all sorts of things like zombies, orcs and deep ones, which I usually wouldn’t be remotely interested in.
I just sell them on afterwards and make the most of the experience :)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »
Old rules but no themed rounds.  Bonus points only for new entries.

I agree with Richard about the themed bonus rounds making you paint out of your comfort zone, but their absence just might encourage more entries.   ::)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
Another thing to bear in mind is to give plenty of notice about it. Most old timers will probably know roughly when it starts and can start planning (or already have), but if you want to attract new blood you have to explain it to them and give an idea on the timescales and commitments.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
Another thing to bear in mind is to give plenty of notice about it.

Yes - I think two years ago there were 38 entrants (?) and there was lots of notice beforehand, which was personally really helpful for me.

I'd like to go again so voted the straight yes option, though no objection to 2 week rounds, but as with one of my posts on the other LPL discussion, if it can be done I'd stagger or split the entries for each round during that time, to keep up interest over the two weeks. (Appreciate that is making more work for the organisers though).

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:10:25 PM »
I'm up for giving this a shot.  I'm generally a pretty slow painter, so this may kickstart me some.  I don't mind theme rounds as options, as it gives me something different to think about other than what my usual choices might be.

-Elroy

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 04:43:19 AM »
Old rules but no themed rounds.  Bonus points only for new entries.

I agree with Richard about the themed bonus rounds making you paint out of your comfort zone, but their absence just might encourage more entries.   ::)

I don't mind themed rounds as long as they're not compulsory, you can then always choose not to do the theme, while the bonus points for a theme are nice, realistically most of us are not in it to get the top spot, so losing bonus points is not that big a deal

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 11:24:34 PM »
I really didn't care for the knock-out thing. I like to see folks push through! (Myself included!) :)

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
With a quick look at the poll this morning, it looks like there are at least 20 people interested in participating.  Is there a minimum number that would push the decision to continue the league in one direction or the other?

-Elroy

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »
I really enjoy voting on the LPL, but I don't think I could enter it at the moment.
It would be such a shame to lose it though, and understand the commitment required from those who do actually put the time into painting for the rest of us to enjoy.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
With a quick look at the poll this morning, it looks like there are at least 20 people interested in participating.  Is there a minimum number that would push the decision to continue the league in one direction or the other?
-Elroy

I don't think there is a fixed minimum number, Elroy, but the interesting thing is: up till now the thread had 257 views. But only 44 people did vote at all. I wouldn't like to sound too negative, but high interest in another LPL should have other numbers ... But let's see if it's developing through the next 14 days.  8)