Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Should there be another Lead Painters League this year?

Yes, I would love to see all those shiny entries every Sunday morning, but can't participate myself!
96 (57.5%)
Yes, I'm eager to participate in LPL 13!
32 (19.2%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with the old rules (no knock-out phase)!
16 (9.6%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with two weeks time between the rounds!
21 (12.6%)
No, we don't need it anymore.
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?  (Read 19315 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
I will enter any kind

But I would opt for 2 weeks time

And maybe a little shorter than 10 rounds.
People have tendency to post repeated entries from around 6-7 th

Maybe a little shorter LPL (ex 8 rounds) would make participating easier as a commitment

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 07:39:21 PM »
I don't think there is a fixed minimum number, Elroy, but the interesting thing is: up till now the thread had 257 views. But only 44 people did vote at all. I wouldn't like to sound too negative, but high interest in another LPL should have other numbers ... But let's see if it's developing through the next 14 days.  8)

Not negative, realistic.  I'm surprised by the very low interest in even voting in the poll.   ::)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 01:40:08 AM »
The views might be a bit inflated if it counts people who voted returning to check the results (like me).  One other point, I almost missed the poll as I usually have the search bar poll area minimized.  It was sheer luck I noticed you were talking about it in another thread.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 08:38:56 PM »
I am definitely interested, though i must confess i have no idea what the rules are. I am new to this forum and while i have noticed the previous editions of these painting leagues, i really don't know if i am able to participate. But i would love to try!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »
Not negative, realistic.  I'm surprised by the very low interest in even voting in the poll.   ::)

Doesn't look promising does it? Possibly best to let the old warhorse out to pasture, no good flogging it to death?

Shame, got some really nice stuff lined up to paint this year.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
Themed rounds have meant that I've got some interesting models that I never would otherwise have.  And looking for something different but with a genre in mind is one of the best parts of our hobby. Looking for something different without a theme can be a little overwhelming as our hobby gets bigger and bigger

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 02:40:26 PM »
I am quite new to the forum. I have enjoyed looking at the wonderful painted models. I may be interested in taking part, not that I think my painting is quite up to scratch. But I am not sure how it all works. Sorry if this is posted on another part of the forum and I have failed to notice this.
However, how does the painters league happen? What do you do to enter and what is the commitment?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
I am quite new to the forum. I have enjoyed looking at the wonderful painted models. I may be interested in taking part, not that I think my painting is quite up to scratch. But I am not sure how it all works. Sorry if this is posted on another part of the forum and I have failed to notice this.
However, how does the painters league happen? What do you do to enter and what is the commitment?

You declare your interest and submit three "teams" (i.e. photos of at least five figures each) for the first three rounds, with a statement on the sequence they should be posted in. After the first three rounds, you can submit newly-painted teams to score bonus points in addition to any vote points you receive from those forum members voting in your match.

In each round, there's a number of matches each featuring two participants' teams.

After each round, votes are tallied up to determine the winner of each match and a ranked list defines the following round's matchup. In the past, we used an automated Swiss tournament system to do this (i.e. first-ranked against second-ranked, third vs. fourth, etc.). This is to avoid repeat matches as far as possible.

There are some issues with the system, though, that prompted the revised format last year, predominantly that the bottom ranks tended to solidify due to some "low-scorers" failing to provide new teams after a while, as well as users not voting in matches considered "not interesting". This can be due to real-life necessities intervening with the schedule, but in some cases, I am convinced that participants were disappointed and did no longer care. Experience shows, however, that users tend to penalize repeat runs of figures already seen, and not always bother to vote in such match-ups.

My point being - the Leage stands and falls with "users doing their part", in that the participants contribute something new each round (or at least nominate a previous team to shake things up a bit), and voters voting in each match to provide a reasonable vote base that will reduce stalemates.

Also, there is no rule (and there will not be) against preparing teams in advance. You'll have to paint up three teams for the first three rounds, so the start phase runs smoothly, but you can also prepare the next three rounds or all ten - the main issue is that they must not be shown prior to the League in order to score the bonus points.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 08:36:17 PM »

Also, there is no rule (and there will not be) against preparing teams in advance. You'll have to paint up three teams for the first three rounds, so the start phase runs smoothly, but you can also prepare the next three rounds or all ten - the main issue is that they must not be shown prior to the League in order to score the bonus points.

I think this really is the key point. The first couple of LPLs, I literally painted a new team every week. It pretty much destroyed me. Life being what it is, if you are going to paint to a reasonable standard, you simply can’t guarantee to be able to paint and finish a new batch of figures every week for 10 weeks in a row.

So now, like many people I’m sure, I make sure I’ve got at least half a dozen teams painted BEFORE the competition itself starts. There’s no other way I could keep up with it these days, with other pressures of work and so on. Also, if you’re going to take creative photos, getting the right set up, composition and shot can take almost as long as painting the blinking figures. So there’s no getting away from it - it’s a big undertaking. Then again, over the last few LPLs we have given people a 5-6 week run-in, which should enable most people to paint and shoot at least a few teams in advance.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
Thank you very much. That is very helpful.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
Then again, over the last few LPLs we have given people a 5-6 week run-in, which should enable most people to paint and shoot at least a few teams in advance.

This!  :D
I've really enjoyed the 2 (3?, definitely 2) LPLs I've taken part in, but I definitely couldn't prepare without the run-in, so it's been really helpful to have that heads up well in advance. Hoping we get enough interest for another one this year.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »
Agree. I tried to prepare to my first but ran out of stuff around 6 round and I was rushing things.

But previous shorter (unsurprisingly I wasnt in the play offs :P )went almost smoothly as I had all of the project ready with at least 50% in the first week

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 10:22:02 PM »
If one does go ahead, when (roughly) would it start?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:16 PM »
I'm interested and willing to try again. The LPL certainly helped me get color on figs and I love looking at all the excellent brushwork each week. I would need some more notice tho, and I'm not much for themed entries. (I should paint what I already have/game with.)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 09:17:19 AM »
the great days of LPL are certainly over but before we shut down for good, I, for my part, would like to see the last farewell-LPL and the 13 seems to be a lovely number for this purpose. Thus, I'd say, let's have the last fight on these glorious fields, no matter how many warriors (or painters :)) are still willing to raise their swords (or brushes :)) and then we can close this chapter and look for another one. Count me in.