Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686657
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Should there be another Lead Painters League this year?

Yes, I would love to see all those shiny entries every Sunday morning, but can't participate myself!
96 (57.5%)
Yes, I'm eager to participate in LPL 13!
32 (19.2%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with the old rules (no knock-out phase)!
16 (9.6%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with two weeks time between the rounds!
21 (12.6%)
No, we don't need it anymore.
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?  (Read 19331 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »
I’ve voted for the third option but not because I think I can enter if it happens this year. I didn’t really engage with the LPL last year as I really didn’t like out the knock out phase, which seemed against the spirit of getting a lot painted.  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »
the great days of LPL are certainly over but before we shut down for good, I, for my part, would like to see the last farewell-LPL and the 13 seems to be a lovely number for this purpose. Thus, I'd say, let's have the last fight on these glorious fields, no matter how many warriors (or painters :)) are still willing to raise their swords (or brushes :)) and then we can close this chapter and look for another one. Count me in.

Aha! A challenge! lol

I wondered if this topic would bring you out of semi miniatures-retirement Alex...  ;)

Never say never again...

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Although, why does it have to be the last one? If we get 36 or so entrants, isn't that a decent number? I know it's not the numbers which used to appear, but personally it would be a shame if it finished as I've only been in it for a the last couple!  :)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:40 PM »
Lets see how many actual participants will be there before you bury poor LPL gentlemen :>

Let next generation have a chance to participate.. lol

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 12:32:23 AM »
Maybe someone could explain the essential difference between the old rules and the option with two weeks? #neverentered (But I did vote in many of the previous ones.)

Is the intent of LPL to have entrants  painting a brand new squad every week?
Pendrake

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »
the great days of LPL are certainly over but before we shut down for good, I, for my part, would like to see the last farewell-LPL and the 13 seems to be a lovely number for this purpose. Thus, I'd say, let's have the last fight on these glorious fields, no matter how many warriors (or painters :)) are still willing to raise their swords (or brushes :)) and then we can close this chapter and look for another one. Count me in.

Haha! Well said.
Curse you Alex,okay as an old veteran count me in.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 02:37:17 AM »
Maybe someone could explain the essential difference between the old rules and the option with two weeks? #neverentered (But I did vote in many of the previous ones.)

Is the intent of LPL to have entrants  painting a brand new squad every week?

The original intent is to paint a new squad for each week though it was never said it had to be during the contest to count. From my experience you start with a few painted units ready for the first few weeks and scramble to finish the last few teams.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
Aha! A challenge! lol

Oh yes, it is! Ready for another fight, Richard? ;) :D

Haha! Well said.
Curse you Alex,okay as an old veteran count me in.

That's the spirit, Guy!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
I had said to myself not this year but ... if it's the last outing for the old girl  :)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
To beat last years penultimate slot that is the question
To wrestle successfully against Awu (unlikely I think) having 2 years ago pipped a place from him by the number of votes
To the art shop I say! - more brushes required as lots of work to do to be ready for any start date

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
I had said to myself not this year but ... if it's the last outing for the old girl  :)

Never say never again, Keith  ;) lol

We seem to be talking ourselves into it...

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
To beat last years penultimate slot that is the question
To wrestle successfully against Awu (unlikely I think) having 2 years ago pipped a place from him by the number of votes
To the art shop I say! - more brushes required as lots of work to do to be ready for any start date

Challenge accepted!!

I still remember this when I woke up in the night :P

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2019, 04:46:47 AM »
If I can figure out how to take better pictures & get them posted on time, I might give it another go.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2019, 07:01:54 PM »
It would be a shame to lose LPL. How about take a year hiatus and run it again in 2020. Start advertising now that LPL will be run in 2020 and encourage people to start painting entries in advance. I know the overhead of organising might make this difficult but how about 2 leagues - and advanced league with themed rounds, terrain backdrops and all the setting individuals want to put in; and a no frills "just the lead" league with mandatory plain backdrops and a more level playing field for beginner entry (you might even want to try an additional third league of beginners only open to only individuals for whom this is their first LPL). To survive LPL needs new blood to be encouraged to join in - as it has evolved LPL I think has become focused on high end painters able to produce beautiful terrain settings and ensembles. Nothing wrong with that as an audience and this is what people love to click on in the morning but for getting new painters to participate it is not particularly helpful. It is like having Wimbledon with pros competing and expecting beginners to throw themselves into the event.

Another idea is to handicap. Single league but for first timer you count 1.5 (or whatever) for each vote cast; for a second timer (intermediates) 1.25. Your giving a good beginner a chance to be up at the top and a path to "victory".

Do away with knockouts - I do think with knockouts that people start to vote less for the figures presented than for the individual. Last year, even if jokey, posters were saying "I'm Team Joe Blogs" which sent the message to newbies "why bother trying" as people are voting in blocks and that they are going to vote for Joe regardless based on Joe's previous work not on the head to head. This is the type of thing that puts beginners off.

Offline angstpuppet

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2019, 04:34:33 AM »
I've done it the last two years.  I've went 0-16. I want to keep trying.  Two years of LPL got my speed painting up to snuff.  Last week I knocked out 100 minis.  I would never have been able to do that without this competition.  I was scared for years to try LPL.  Then two years ago I promised myself that I would do it and complete the competition no matter how bad it went.  I don't care if I'm the Brooklyn Brawler of this competition forever, I would rather take the beatings and be a part of something this awesome than not take the chance.  Please keep this going.