Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Should there be another Lead Painters League this year?

Yes, I would love to see all those shiny entries every Sunday morning, but can't participate myself!
96 (57.5%)
Yes, I'm eager to participate in LPL 13!
32 (19.2%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with the old rules (no knock-out phase)!
16 (9.6%)
Yes, I would participate, but only with two weeks time between the rounds!
21 (12.6%)
No, we don't need it anymore.
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?  (Read 19319 times)

Offline boneio

• Scientist
Re: The Lead Painters League 13 Poll - enough interest for another one?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »
I really value the LPL and as someone relatively new to the forum, discovering it was part of what caused me to register. I am, I suppose, of the Facebook generation but it's such a poor format for interesting content vs a good forum.

I have aspirations of taking part in LPL one day (I'll settle for last place  lol) so I hope it sticks around.

I'd stress that visibility might be an issue. The News link in the top right is very easy to miss and that's bearing in mind I tend to look for it - when I remember. Hence I didn't see this thread until some days after it started despite visiting several times a day usually.

Perhaps an email newsletter to members? Or - and I realise this may be politically harder to achieve? - a banner in the main banner slot?

I seem to recall a solid, albeit diminishing, number of votes being cast each year so the low poll numbers here suggest to me either lack of visibility or that there a lot of people who think the poll is aimed at those who want to take part rather than every member of the forum.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »
So now, like many people I’m sure, I make sure I’ve got at least half a dozen teams painted BEFORE the competition itself starts. There’s no other way I could keep up with it these days, with other pressures of work and so on.

Me to. And that's why I think the LPL needs a new format. Shorter  than ten weeks, I propose.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 12:26:21 PM »
I'd stress that visibility might be an issue.

I don’t think so. We had banners, newsletters, links and everything and we stilll didn’t manage to get more people on board. It’s actually the three new teams at start rule. The last competition  before implementing this rule was attended by about 70 members. But we had a lot of people in there who provided only one or two teams, which was a little bit too boring for the audience. Therefore we said, let’s have kind of qualification ensuring the higher standard and it worked on the quality but we lost on the numbers. And i think it’s still a problem for many, not the length of the competition but the preparing of the qualification teams in advance

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 12:31:42 AM »
So assume you went all the way through, how many teams (5 figures) would you need to paint over the time period for the league?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »
50 figures.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »
50 figures.

To clarify, that is the minimum to present a new team every round.

The absolute minimum currently is 3x5 for the first three rounds. After that, you can opt for re-runs or present new entries from previously-painted miniatures, but you will not get the bonus points for those and are honour-bound to point out that the figures are not newly-painted for the league when submitting the entry.

If you choose to submit an entry of two opposing teams, e.g. a combat scene, you would need to newly paint at least one complete team to claim the bonus. It is not necessary that all figures in an entry are newly-painted to claim, only five figures belonging to the team's theme.

The "new stuff" paradigm actually breaks down into two areas which might be useful to repeat - first, the bonus points that are intended to get people to paint new stuff and reduce their lead mountains, second, the "novelty bonus" which might induce voters to cast their vote in your favour in a match. Repeat teams tend to get boring quickly.

EDIT:

Quote from: Hammers
Me to. And that's why I think the LPL needs a new format. Shorter  than ten weeks, I propose.

That would actually alleviate some of the low-vote-turnout issue on the administrative side. Due to the pairing model, the lower tier tends to solidify after five to six turns, so if we were to run only six to eight rounds/weeks, this would help quite a bit. Less than six doesn't really help and could unduly favour those matches where proper "outlier" results occured (e.g. "landslide victories").
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:48:06 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
To clarify, that is the minimum to present a new team every round.

The absolute minimum currently is 3x5 for the first three rounds. After that, you can opt for re-runs or present new entries from previously-painted miniatures, but you will not get the bonus points for those and are honour-bound to point out that the figures are not newly-painted for the league when submitting the entry.

If you choose to submit an entry of two opposing teams, e.g. a combat scene, you would need to newly paint at least one complete team to claim the bonus. It is not necessary that all figures in an entry are newly-painted to claim, only five figures belonging to the team's theme.

The "new stuff" paradigm actually breaks down into two areas which might be useful to repeat - first, the bonus points that are intended to get people to paint new stuff and reduce their lead mountains, second, the "novelty bonus" which might induce voters to cast their vote in your favour in a match. Repeat teams tend to get boring quickly.

EDIT:

That would actually alleviate some of the low-vote-turnout issue on the administrative side. Due to the pairing model, the lower tier tends to solidify after five to six turns, so if we were to run only six to eight rounds/weeks, this would help quite a bit. Less than six doesn't really help and could unduly favour those matches where proper "outlier" results occured (e.g. "landslide victories").

In all practicallity: if you want to be a real contender in the competition rather than keep posting on the board in your own pace, you need to enter a minimum of 50 minis over 10 weeks, of which 15 must be themed. You can normally be absolutetly sure  you will not be in the to be among the upper 50%   if you do not do this. It think it will also be true if we cut the competition to 7 weeks (a minimum of 35 minis of which, lets say 10 are themed).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:14:58 AM by Hammers »

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »
I don’t think so. We had banners, newsletters, links and everything and we stilll didn’t manage to get more people on board.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant specifically in reference to this thread. I absolutely bow to the more senior members wisdom regards actual participant numbers  :)

A commitment of 35 figures (with 15 in advance) over say two months - that might actually tempt me to join.

It's just the desire to not want to let other participants down which causes me to hesitate, but having done some speed painting recently to hit a deadline for a game I now know I can achieve quite a bit when there's some pressure on.

I am however mostly interested in participating in order to be part of something, and as a motivation to paint, I would expect to finish in lower 50% at best!

Can I change my poll vote?  lol

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »
The LPL is a great way to reduce the lead mountain by at minimum 35 figures.  It's fun looking for a potential other 15 fr the special rounds in areas you may not normally look.  Some of my favourite figures have been for special rounds where I didn't have an excuse before to get them and paint them

I'm a slow painter and like others try to get ahead of the game before it starts and although usually come the last weeks I feel under pressure to get new sets in I have always made it and feel good at the end when I look at the collective pile of lead that i have manged to convert into finished figures.  Presently have 100 Carnevale figures sitting on my desk - LPL is the perfect persuader to clear this down faster than I am already.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Last year I didn't join because the new rules confused me and I didn't want to put in a lot of energy with a chance to get knocked out prematurely. I never saw it as a competition but as an excellent drive to paint and see other people's work.
This particular period I'm obsessed with the Back of Beyond again so it would be great, if it were to be the Last League, to participate. After all it's kind of how Lead Adventure started and most of my inspiration and knowledge of the period comes from this forum.

But it's true it's hard work to do ten teams. Even if LPL would be discontinued it would be great to find another collective way to paint squads and warbands.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 07:17:14 PM »
 On that side note, I enjoy the board-specific painting clubs. They're another great opportunity to join in and get color on figs.   

Back to LPL... I'd be up for one last hurrah.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »
I participated in just one I think. Being quite new I've to admit I have no real clue whenever (or even if) the LPL starts, so I never did any painting beforehand... It was quite a task to get everything painted during the competition. The years after the start of the competition caught me by surprise everytime (my ignorance), so I did not sign up as I did not feel much for once again painting everything during the competition.

It would be shame if the LPL would come to an end though, I think it's an important part of LAF, and I've always spectated closely the times I didn't take part.

EDIT: I enjoyed taking part the one time I did! So I'd like a comeback. But a shorter competition, more time between rounds or smaller teams would make it more catching. For me that is
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:27:01 PM by LordOdo »
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »
I always like to see the LPL and its entries, its a good source of inspiration, shows minis I might otherwise never know existed and hard work the people put into it.

I always want to try but the amount I get painted in a year rarely reaches 35 or 50 figures.

It helps me relax, but I work so much, and so much time demands elsewhere..

A format change would be far more preferable than it disappear completely.

and yes, more painting clubs to, that I can sometimes manage to complete something for

Offline Pendrake

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2019, 11:20:23 PM »

A format change would be far more preferable than it disappear completely.

Format: What if the squad size was tinkered with?  Maybe 3-6 per squad....

I am thinking 3 Cavalry figures is one stand in Hott. Three ogres is a typical Oldhammer unit size. 3 or 4 mechs is a One Lance formation  in a SciFi game. 5 Orcs is a rank in some Warhammer editions.
Pendrake

Offline Maledrakh

• Librarian
    • At the Mountains of Minis
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »
For my part, I think having two weeks between rounds certainly would help my actually being able to participate this year, as I have an exam coming up in the period.  And I really want to participate without having to have done most or everything in advance, expecially since I have an extented  really busy period IRL this spring so I probably won't have the time to do much in advance anyway.