Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:17:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Query for Setting the East Ablaze  (Read 1987 times)

Offline tony6655@outlook.com

• Schoolboy
Rules Query for Setting the East Ablaze
« on: February 26, 2019, 08:03:57 AM »
I posted this in the wrong place yesterday night but with any luck I'll get a few replies this time 😉 In the points appendix (page 52 in my copy) you can purchase "modern tactical training" costing +1 point per figure BUT unless I've missed something I can't find any reason or advantage to this in the rules. Can someone please enlighten me ?
  Cheers,
           Tony.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rules Query for Setting the East Ablaze
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
Hi there

Ignore that. It’s a typo from a prior iteration of the rules.

Dang! I thought I had caught all the typos in the second edition. Thanks for pointing out

Cheers

Steve
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:27:31 PM »
I'm actually still using the 1st edition and I was thinking that it was a typo. I'm really Setting the (middle) East Ablaze using the Contemptible Little Armies lists which convert very easily and some basic rules for barrages which are in the spirit of both sets of rules. Thanks for getting back to me, happy gaming ,
                                      Tony.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:21:01 PM »
Cheers Tony

Rules for barrages are something I was planning for the 3rd edition (sometime in 2020+). Haven’t given any though to them yet mind you!

Steve

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »
Mine are pretty basic and related to CLA. You get a number of shots per turn (which you but as part of the battery prove) and for a pre planned barrage you pick x number of impact points within the 4" radius but because they're pre plotted they don't vary like opportunity fire , they land where they're  aimed , on the downside, you have to roll to "switch them off".

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 05:13:52 PM »
Mine are pretty basic and related to CLA. You get a number of shots per turn (which you but as part of the battery prove) and for a pre planned barrage you pick x number of impact points within the 4" radius but because they're pre plotted they don't vary like opportunity fire , they land where they're  aimed , on the downside, you have to roll to "switch them off".

Like it!  Might try these out

cheers

Steve

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:42:12 PM »
Either that or use something similar to the "exploding barrels" rule from the first edition but whichever you use I've always believed in keeping it simple when amending rulez. Good luck with the 3rd edition, I'll just skip the 2nd and hang on till it comes out.
                  Cheers,
                          Tony.

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
By George ! I think I've got it ! For planned barrages use the 4" radius dicing for saves as usual BUT as the barrage could be quite devastating (if it arrives) then add 6 points to the cost of the battery for EVERY turn of pre planned barrage ! What do we think of that ?
                 Cheers,
                          Tony.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 07:56:03 PM »
Yes, excellent.  Using existing mechanisms is always better.  Battery points might be a bit cheap mind you.

Thanks!

Steve

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »
Good point.What would you suggest? I was thinking that for a twelve turn game that would work out at an extra 72 points per battery with barrage missions, and if it was a modern/western army with up to 3 batteries "off table" that could still be quite expensive .
                                                               Cheers,
                                                                     Tony.

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »
Or, thinking of the difference in AREA between a 2" and 4" radius circle , you could cost it as 3 batteries (regiment ?).

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 03:28:23 PM »
Good points all. I’d need to play it few times to get a feel. However as I say in the rules, do whatever you think is right and adjust it as you see fit   Thanks again!