Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690764
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Thud & Blunder - the new Fantasy Skirmish System  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
(Commercial) Thud & Blunder - the new Fantasy Skirmish System
« on: February 27, 2019, 07:07:39 AM »
Hi All,

Just to let you know that North Star shall soon be taking pre-orders for The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare's latest effort - Thud & Blunder.

This is the next in ouir series of narrative skirmish games. It differs from others in that it is not tied to a specific setting or miniatures line. It is a toolkit with which you can explore any fantasy setting or create your own.

Last year we went around the various major shows in the UK and found that the core rules of the game could be picked up in under ten minutes by the agile young minds of nine year olds as well as those of the regular grognards  :D

For those of you who have played Blood Eagle, Daisho or In Her Majesty's Name, the core rules will be familiar though we have refined and expanded  them. The book itself is our largest yet, running in at 164 pages, which we needed to be able to offer you everything you need to play in Middle Earth, the Forgotten Realms, Westeros, Lankhmar, Mordheim and a thousand other settings.

Here is an example scenario that might wet your whistle:

If you have any questions, please ask here or visit the Ministry blog or the active Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/260554421452323/?ref=bookmarks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:57:00 AM by Elk101 »
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
Re: (Commercial) Thud & Blunder - the new Fantasy Skirmish System
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
Been following this on that there Facebook and I'm really looking forward to ordering and getting a copy. Hoping it will spur me on and give more encouragement to finally finish some of the dark age British fantasy stuff I've had on the to do list for what seems like forever... and that's despite having had Blood Eagle as well :D

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
How big is a warband?  I think this is a smallish skirmish game.  Both "warband" and "skirmish" can mean different things to different people.

I always like to know what a rule system is trying to accomplish, or what its unique feature is.  What is it that makes this one a good choice?

I read about IHMN when it first came out, but don't remember much.

thanks
andy

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
How big is a warband?  I think this is a smallish skirmish game.  Both "warband" and "skirmish" can mean different things to different people.

I always like to know what a rule system is trying to accomplish, or what its unique feature is.  What is it that makes this one a good choice?

I read about IHMN when it first came out, but don't remember much.

thanks
andy

Expect 8-10 models usually. Short overview of the factions is available here: https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/2018/10/27/thud-blunder-warbands-revealed/

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »
Can’t wait for these....feel like I have been waiting a long time for a set like this that ticks all my boxes ;) lol

FFF

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »
How big is a warband?  I think this is a smallish skirmish game.

Hi Andy,

We use the term 'warband' to describe your entire force, which can consist of about 4-20 figures depending on how big a game you want to play, and how expensive your individual troops are.

For example; you could field a party of Adventurers with 4-5 tough 'murder hobos' in it, and find yourself facing 15-16 goblins. Having fewer figures can be a disadvantage in that you will act less often in a turn, but each figure will be harder to kill and more dangerous than their more numerous enemies.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
How solo/co-op friendly is this one?  Any rules for baddie AI?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 04:43:19 PM »
How solo/co-op friendly is this one?  Any rules for baddie AI?

There are no solo rules at the moment  :(  Though Solos Gamers have said that our previous rule sets were simple enough to make adaptation for solo play not particularly difficult.

Co-op play is entirely possible, especially if you have a campaign master who runs the bad guys against a team of players, each with one or two adventurers.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 04:44:52 PM by Craig »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
For those of you that have preordered the book, Nick has announced that he start dispatching them right away (with the 10% voucher inside).  :D

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
I thought about getting  Blood Eagle for some viking raid or northmen vs snow troll scenarios. Now this is kinda out of print. Do I have to track down a printed version or is T&B a suitable replacement?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »
I thought about getting  Blood Eagle for some viking raid or northmen vs snow troll scenarios. Now this is kinda out of print. Do I have to track down a printed version or is T&B a suitable replacement?

My apologies for the delayed reply. Lead Adventure threads often disappear off the bottom of the page before you can see them.

The print run of Blood Eagle is exhausted and a few shops may have  handful left - try Ainsty Castings. However, you can get it as a PDF from snmstuff.co.uk.

Alternatively you can use T&B, which is available from North Star and a number of other fine retainers. The rules would suit a northmen vs. snow trolls perfectly well, and a lot more besides.