Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Black Sun Miniatures now on Sale!  (Read 10765 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Black Sun Kickstarter relaunch scheduled!
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »
Looking great!

I got two sets of the Vietnam American GIs, they're nice sculpts.  Looking forward to seeing this grow.

I think zombie Soviets make more sense than zombie Nazis, though, but heck, there are lots of cool ideas that will work well.  :-)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »
Looking great!

I got two sets of the Vietnam American GIs, they're nice sculpts.  Looking forward to seeing this grow.

I think zombie Soviets make more sense than zombie Nazis, though, but heck, there are lots of cool ideas that will work well.  :-)

Indeed. I agree. A Soviet faction would make more sense than a German Nazi one. And personally i think these particular miniatures do not look very .... good. But i am really interested in this whole idea as i am working on my own collection of miniatures (initialy for a Vietnam skirmish RPG situated on the HCM trail) and momentarily ..... lots of jungle terrain and lost temples. Together with some more fantasy/pulpy miniatures i have picked along the way i can turn it easily into something weird. ;-).

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 01:49:06 PM »
Backed!

Totally agree about the lack of something soviet though, I'd really like to see some sort of soviet advanced science spetsnaz team, or a soviet mad scientist leading his half human/ half fishman people's proletariat force.
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
I'm eying the furry bugs to use in 6mm, the rest of the sculpts don't really do it for me either tbh.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
Do you guys remember Stalin's experiments cross-breeding humans and apes?

I think this discuses it a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfrS1bkI4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShvOtdWq69Y

For the Vietnam war era I could see something more Cthulhu-esque, more fishy.

Go for it, Bob!!!!

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
  • Student of Time, Space & Cake
    • Crucible Crush
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Black Sun Kickstarter Now On! Thru August 5
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2019, 12:26:06 AM »
Now get a bonus figure to any pledge level if you join by July 17.

See the details here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1313980061/cthulhu-1968-black-sun-tabletop-skirmish-game/posts/2566766

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
    • Crucible Crush
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Black Sun Kickstarter Now On! Thru August 8
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 10:27:27 PM »
We will be having a Live Feed of a playtest game of the Black Sun rules on Saturday July 20 at 3pm on our Facebook page.
Join us at Crucible Crush Games on Facebook and see how the game runs.

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »
Only 30 backers away from reaching out 150 backer stretch goal.
Come on over today and join us to get a free package of five figures added to your Pledge.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »
Indeed. As i stated in an earlier message i have been interested & working some time on my own collection of 'Nam related miniatures that is easily adeptable for 'something weird'. Of course getting on this KS is on my mind. The whole Lovecraftian/Cthulhu structure is a good choice as it is indeed pretty well known and provides much background and materiel.

Unfortunately i am not impressed with the choice of factions. The usual suspects are there of course; NVA/VC, Americans. And they should since it all goes down there somewhere in 1968. But initialy choosing a Germans faction over a Russian one is a total miss. Even Chinese would have been better.

Nevertheless the Adaro are a good idea but again not very well executed. It would have been much better to stick to the original attributes (shooting poisenous flying fish to kill ..... :-)) of this particular sea-spirit of the Solomon islands.

And what about that all engulfing enviroment, the jungle? A force that operates totally independent & unpredictable of the other factions. Is neither evil or good as humans perceive it but it very capable of causing serious mayhem & destruction on all sides. Coming out of the green wall of vegitation with devestating force and bewildering result and disappearing as suddenly as it came. Leaving the NVA, Americans and other factions second guessing and (sometimes) looking, blaming & retaliating in the wrong direction.

Just my two cents. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:10:56 PM by Legion1963 »

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2019, 02:22:32 AM »
Those are all great points. And I think we have pretty much covered them all. The Adaro are just the lead elements of Chinese and Russian expeditions into the Black Sun, that is why they are armed with AK’s. I don’t think this varies too much from canon of Deep Ones armed with human instruments. They also have access to the Lemurian technology which mirrors some of the Father Dagon/Mother Hydra mythos canon.
You will see Russians and/or Chinese coming down the pipe as their own faction once we get deeper into the Cold War being mirrored in the Black Sun event. The jungle is a living breathing entity, we already have a Hazardous plant and the “What the” events in the game will bring this concept to life further.
I don’t recall flying poisoned fish in any of the Lovecraft stories but maybe I am missing something, we can certainly consider that as a side concept.
I guess our idea is that this whole concept is wide open to interpretation and we can do a lot with it and we are hoping all our fans will join us in bringing this project to life. We have added a hippie Children of Hastur faction to the mix so far which we think plays on yet another major movement of the era with a Lovecraftian twist. With all your help we can include many more ideas, themes and stories to the already existing concepts. So head on over and join us to collaborate in bringing this game to life by supporting us now.

Offline Bob Murch

• Scientist
  • Honest purveyor of toys and such.
    • Pulp Figures
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2019, 02:27:25 AM »
Our Black Sun jungle is pretty darn hazardous.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »
The poisenous flying fish come out of the mythology surrounding the sea-spirit Adaro of the Solomon island.

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2019, 02:19:56 PM »
Oh sorry for he mix up there. We are following the Lovecraft canon. We just used that name for its links to the area. I hope this helps you understand our project better. Once again I will reiterate that being part of KS allows you the opportunity in joining us to bring this interesting new world to life. Thanks for the support and head on over and join us.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
Oh sorry for he mix up there. We are following the Lovecraft canon. We just used that name for its links to the area. I hope this helps you understand our project better. Once again I will reiterate that being part of KS allows you the opportunity in joining us to bring this interesting new world to life. Thanks for the support and head on over and join us.
Not sure if there's a mix-up here (or there) as i understood that Black Sun is heavily leaning on the legacy of H.P. Lovecraft for ideas & background and Dagon was by Lovecraft based (in part) on the mythology of (amongst others) the Solomon islands. However, the description & modus operandi of the mythological Adaro is much more interesting then a antropomorphus frog creature that looks much like a Gremlin toting (what a surprise) an AK. But i guess that, like all the others, this game needs armies. Unfortunately. Or that is what the creators of BS think it needs. I wonder (and i realise this comes from me being much more an RPG person) how long it will take before the hardware appears. And this whole idea (which i really like a lot) disappears behind rows of tanks, mecha's, soldiers in armoured suits (terminators  :'( and other 'much needed' bits 'n pieces.