Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hue 68 - UD 26/4 more buildings references  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Hue 68 - UD 26/4 more buildings references
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
Given that there are a now couple of threads on soon to come ranges for the fighting in Hue in 1968, I thought I’d start on some  terrain in anticipation of releases.

I’m going for a ‘take the block’ and/or ‘rescue’ game, probably with the VC etc as a non player force. The buildings are on A4  (or 2 of A5) sections of 4mm MDF.  As well as the block, I’ll likely have lines  of building facades to two sides, from which the USMC etc can launch their assault. Trees and other decor items will be individually based.

Edit: I’m setting my game in The Triangle, which was the newer part of Hue City.

Here’s the first constructs:

A walled garden with a Buddha statue, using the excellent walls from OSHIRO Model Terrain:

A very-WIP large house:

A medium sized house with garden with mesh fencing to rear (on 2 xA5):

I probably won’t paint or flock until I have completed all of the assemblies. Next up will be either a chapel or a pair of small houses.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:45:05 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Hue 68 - buildings WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »
Looking good  8)

The big house looks impressive and I like the idea of the smaller 'tiles'.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »
Ta.  :)

I’ve still got to add a lot of detail to the big house (obvs). The smaller tiles add a bit more flexibility to the layout and also reduce the likelihood of warping on properties with long gardens.

Btw, having seen how well Dr De’ath’s catacombs came out, I might well use some sort of pimped-up vinyl tile for the road surfaces.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:58:31 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »
It's all coming together, going to be an interesting board to play on
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
Looking good! I need also to start building to accomodate the Vietnam hordes that being thrown at us by Crucible Crush, Gringo and Empress...

What are the really the specific characteristics of Vietnam city architecture?

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
Looking good!  :o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
Thanks all  :)

What are the really the specific characteristics of Vietnam city architecture?

I should have pointed out in my first post (now edited) that my board will be set in The Triangle, which was then the newer part of Hue, south of the Citadel and separated from it by a broad river.  I’ve looked at a ton of images both on-line and in books, focussing on a mix of different property types that were present, which in The Triangle were often either modern or earlier 20thc French colonial style, concrete rendered usually with shutters, often with  high walled gardens to the rear. I’ll mostly be making residential buildings, with a mix of larger and smaller. Two points of note, my church will be based on one from outside of Hue (the ones present were so big they’d dominate my board) while my walled garden with moon gate is actually influenced by the Hue section of Full Metal Jacket.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:04:12 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »
What does he call his gun?

It has been a while since I saw that, I had forgotten who was in it.

With all this Vietnam stuff about, I am going to have to dig out my Campaign 4 book.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 09:10:18 PM »
Vera!

lol

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 09:14:47 PM »
Vera!

lol

Seriously.... he called it Vera?!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 09:33:12 PM »
That's an excellent start Steve, I'm really impressed. I look forward to playing on it!  :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »
Seriously.... he called it Vera?!

Not in FMJ, no  ;)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
The video game Rising Storm 2: Vietnam has a good representation of the old and new portions of that city if you're looking for references (including interiors). At least going by that game there's was a good deal in variety of the architecture in the area, and whilst different styles did have defined boundaries in places, you could just cross a street and go back centuries in terms of what the buildings looked like (which is just fine for wargaming boards...).

Particularly what I felt set the locations in that game apart was all the contemporary cars and street furniture. Which isn't really something I'd seen much at wargames show boards covering the setting unfortunately. I couldn't speak for actually sourcing any vehicles from this period however, well outside of old diecast ranges (which I suppose as a load of the vehicles in Vietnam at the time were from the West, wouldn't make sourcing diecasts as difficult as it could be).

Great work so far. How is everything going to fit together? Are you going to stack each of those panels together, or will they fit into slots on a pre-defined board? As they are just sticking some roads and green areas in between would be enough for a board, but well, that's probably oversimplifying things. :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »
Very good start indeed.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 05:41:07 PM »
@W

Those are really good shots and comments. Very representative of a lot of the imagery (note the high walls to the gardens in the top photo). Shutters are indicative of the shops though I don’t have any commercial buildings planned at the mo, just aiming for a residential block of which some were described as having big houses on one side of the street and smaller on the other. I’m glad you mentioned civilian cars as they perhaps should feature in any Hue game, both as line of sight blockers and to be co-opted  by the marines for moving men, supplies and equipment.  I have a  claimed 1/55 1960s VW Beetle by Siku on its way but I haven’t found any others as yet.  :)

@M

Thank you - maybe  you’ll play ?!  ;)