Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scandinavia in the 31st century  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
Scandinavia in the 31st century
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:45:41 PM »
I have just updated my blog with a couple of posts about my newly painted 6mm sci-fi Scandinavian force.

Basic post here:
http://ooh-shiny-complex.blogspot.com/2009/06/forsvaret-skandinavias-june-progress.html

Additional material and detail pics here:
http://ooh-shiny-complex.blogspot.com/

The figures are vehicles from Brigade Models and infantry from Baccus. Here is a taster pic:

Hope this is of interest,
Ruarigh
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scandinavia in the 31st century
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
Nice work! Just curious, what makes them Scandinavian?

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
When I saw the German forces at Brigade Models, some had Scandinavian names, so I decided that my force would be Scandinavian rather than German. I like Scandinavia, particularly Norway, so I wanted a sci-fi Scandinavian force. Thus was born the bit of light fluff I wrote to go with the army in an attempt to make it more than just a few pictures of the figures. There is nothing inherently Scandinavian about any of the figures really, and I could as easily have made them a New Mongolian Horde. Perhaps I should sculpt horns onto the helmets to give them that authentic Scandinavian look?  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
Perhaps I should sculpt horns onto the helmets to give them that authentic Scandinavian look?  ;)

Oh, for heavens sake and the umpteenth time: no one has ever worn horned helmets in Scandinavia! Except in the bleachers but then they are of velvet or plastic and that doesn't count.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »
Oh, for heavens sake and the umpteenth time: no one has ever worn horned helmets in Scandinavia!

Heh heh, did you not know that the Vikings invented the beer hat? The reason no horned helmets have been found is because the horns were discarded before battle. You see, Vikings drank their ale from horns. Vikings liked a beer before battle. Therefore they took it with them. Of course, they needed their hands free to carry other stuff like big axes and shields, so they stuck the horns full of beer to their helmets with beeswax. When they got thirsty they tore the horns off the helmets and quaffed the ale contained therein! They would then throw the horns away. See, simple.  :D

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
it all makes perfect sense now  ;)
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »
Oh, for heavens sake and the umpteenth time: no one has ever worn horned helmets in Scandinavia! Except in the bleachers but then they are of velvet or plastic and that doesn't count.

Just re-read this comment and I apologise in advance for being a smart-arse. Sorry! While there is no evidence of Viking Age horned helmets, one image on the Oseberg tapestry notwithstanding, there certainly were horned helmets in Scandinavia: Late Bronze Age examples from Viksø in Denmark (http://oldtiden.natmus.dk/udstillingen/bronzealderen/viksoe_hjelmene/language/uk/), for example. There are also images of possible horned helmets on artefacts such as the Torslunda plates from the 6th or 7th century. I think there is at least one MS illustration of a 14th century horned helmet from Denmark too. I don't know if any actual examples of such have been recovered though. That said, my original comment about putting horned helmets on the figures was said with tongue firmly in cheek and should not be taken seriously.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »
With their economies in ruins, Denmark and Sweden were left floating dead in the water until the Norwegian government threw them a lifeline. At an historic meeting, the three countries united in the New Kalmar Union. Each retained some devolved power, but ultimate power lay with the Norwegian government.

Harrumph ;)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
It doesn't matter if they did or did not have horned helms.
The image is now associated with them quite thoroughly.  I see no reason that a force in the 31st century would not adopt that association.
- Scott

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
Oh, for heavens sake and the umpteenth time: no one has ever worn horned helmets in Scandinavia!

Heh heh, did you not know that the Vikings invented the beer hat? The reason no horned helmets have been found is because the horns were discarded before battle. You see, Vikings drank their ale from horns. Vikings liked a beer before battle. Therefore they took it with them. Of course, they needed their hands free to carry other stuff like big axes and shields, so they stuck the horns full of beer to their helmets with beeswax. When they got thirsty they tore the horns off the helmets and quaffed the ale contained therein! They would then throw the horns away. See, simple.  :D

*guns Ruarigh down in the street like a dog*

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »
*guns Ruarigh down in the street like a dog*
Ouch!  :o

Offline Isamu

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
Yeah the horned helmet will never die. Wagner, Wicky and HÄGAR.  o_o

But seriously, I first thought about GZG models as I read the heading. In their universe, they have Scandinavians. They even got a brand new fleet.  :-* So maybe they have some Scandinavian verhicles and infantry - just if you are interessted.

The figures are looking quite nice. To make them scandinavian, how about some snow?  ;)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 05:44:14 AM »
Shut down. Or lynched...

Besides, the horns were eye-pokers. They'd get so tightly jammed in the sockets they snapped off in the poor fellow's death throws. Woo, HÄGAR!
Everything is better with lizardmen.