Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A walk in Felstad...  (Read 12184 times)

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
Re: A walk in Felstad...
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
Maybe, but that would make her play Underworlds - I want to play Frostgrave  ;) Plus, the setting, I know that for sure, appeals to her far more than AoS. Though I do like the GW stuff, it IS kind of He-Man like and that's a bit too nerdy for her taste.

So, I haven't painted that much lately, but I gave the done minis a proper photojob and article. The first guy is the dwarf, continueing the story from the other articles so far (for the regular readers, the pieces will all form a bigger one, so you'll be able to read them in one go, like a book).

I've also experimented with snow and believe I've found the right looks for the base. As always, your feedback is appreciated.

https://www.chaosbunker.de/en/2019/11/20/frostgrave-a-sword-and-sorcery-adventure-part-2/

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
 8) way cool...looks great!!!

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
I've finally gotten around to prep some articles for Frostgrave again, after a waaaay too busy start of the year. This one shows a couple of better pics of the dog and I'm trying to keep the format of the articles much shorter, to make them "more comfortable to consume".

https://www.chaosbunker.de/en/2020/01/31/frostgrave-a-sword-and-sorcery-adventure-part-3/

Right now there are three more articles ready and will release over the next weeks, but what I'm really tackling at the moment is to paint up two lady wizards for Nick. Now I was thinking, should I post more small update, that essentially form up a step by step, or should I do it like I do currently, just release articles with the finished paintjob and the thought process behind it? Glad to hear your opinion on that.

Cheers
Dino

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
Work was incredibly demanding recently and it feels like ages that I've touched a mini, but I've finally come around to start my work on the female wizards for Nick.

I am what could be described as an "area painter". I always choose one certain space on the miniature, like the skin, a robe or anything like that, and finish it off completely. It's rarely neccessary for me to go back to a spot that I've worked on before.

Might change with this mini though, as I want to push myself a little and give Gordula a look that matches her story. She's a witch (who would've thought) in service of a king (oh...who WOULD have thought...). So I hope that my choice of colors will give her a nicely civilized look, while keeping the mysterious haggy touch of a typical witch.

I am undecided on her little cat homunculus though - grey with black stripes, or black with yellow eyes...

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 01:04:32 PM »
Gorgeous work really something to aspire to if my eyes and shaky hands don't give up on me :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
I am undecided on her little cat homunculus though - grey with black stripes, or black with yellow eyes...

I like the grey with black stripes and yellow eyes ... every witch has a black cat ... kinda boring.
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 02:22:14 AM »
I like the grey with black stripes and yellow eyes ... every witch has a black cat ... kinda boring.

+1

Can't wait to see the rest!

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 07:04:45 AM »
It's this "every witch has a black cat" thing, that kind of makes me tend towards it. I am going with a very good guy look, so I'd like the model to be recognized as a witch.

But...I also kind of love grey cats with black stripes. Well, anyway, I made a little bit of progress yesterday and maybe I'll get another hour or two to paint tonight again.

This is starting to mutate into a little step-by-step...the base color for the under dress was Sombre Grey. I love that color...just goeas so well with many things.

Now another question for color choices....(yeah I know, not decided on the cat yet too...): the little bags and pouches. All brown, or different colors? I remember playing World of Warcraft ages ago and I really liked when I could expand my baggage with additional little bags. I noticed, that they all had different colors and I kind of liked the idea. Maybe the front puch in a very brwonish dark red?

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 08:23:37 AM »
She reminds me of Granny Weatherwax already!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 08:25:07 AM »
Very nice. Love the dog.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
It's this "every witch has a black cat" thing, that kind of makes me tend towards it. I am going with a very good guy look, so I'd like the model to be recognized as a witch.

And here I thought the hat and the staff were enough to mark her as a witch ...
As for the bags and pouches, if you keep her clothes plain and simple, specks of color might lighten the mini up, imho. So I say, go for it. Have bright red, leather colored and what-not colored bags.

Very nice. Love the dog.

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  ... mean, but funny.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 11:24:53 PM »
?
I was referring to the dog further up the page.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
?
I was referring to the dog further up the page.

Ups ... my bad. Sorry. I was all focused on the witch and cat. But yes - it is a nice dog.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
 lol

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2020, 09:41:54 AM »
Well, what can I say? I've changed my mind - again and again. In the end I've decided to stick to a real classic look, which is why I ended up painting up the scarf and the hat band red. It also nicely draws the attention back to the centre of the miniature, while a red band on the staff might've actually distract the eye.

I'm quite decided on the upcoming colors now. The staff is gonna be painted in a rather bright, almost a little bit greyish brown, in order to make it look old and well used. The cat will be grey with black stripes - that's a risk, the black cat would be easier, but it will make the overall look of the mini a bit boring, almost toooooo stereotypical, even though I'm pushing for that look. But the grey cat is actually an interesting touch to the mini.

The stretched out hand will be the most difficult part, as I want a glow effect at the centre of it. Imaginary light scources are rather hard to do for me, but I'll try it as good as I can.

Now there is more decisions to be made....the base....classic "woodlands" look or more Frostgrave like, with snow on it? I'm actually preferring the common fantasy feel, as it's not all snow and ice and could be used in other games too, like ROTS.

Even though I like how this turns out, I'm dealing with quite a big distraction at the moment...that damn Gaslands game...