Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Martian Tripod  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
Re: 15mm Martian Tripod
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
Dang pictures, anyone know how to "FLIP" them on here???

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
I think you have to delete the photo, fix it off site, and then repost it but not sure.

Yes, the cauldron looks like it will work as long it is durable enough to withstand gaming. 

Quite the dedication to this little project.  Keep at it.

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 02:44:52 PM »
Well,

I did not like the way the legs went "inside" the bottom of the body, so I ripped them out.  Trying to find either a sturdy straw or some steel or brass tube, so I can stick the upper leg tops into those, which I will have sticking out from the "outside" of the lower body.

I have some tubing, but it's all a bit small!  And the plastic straws are a bit thin, I don't think the current ones will hold up too well.  Did use some putty to fill in the "knee" joints, made a quick mold for the knee outside ornament or "nut".

Dang pictures!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 12:47:46 AM »
Those bolts would shred a plastic straw in nothing flat.  I thought the legs looked fine as is - but it's your model.

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
Well,

This is phase 1, plenty of time for improvements down the road with different "generations", right?

Found some lovely suction cups, look well as the "cap" on my upper body.

Whatcha think?

:D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:40:55 PM by Enakan »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
It looks good but will that kind of rubber take paint?

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
Good point!

I did spray paint the model black yesterday, that rubber does NOT take the paint, it is very sticky to the touch.  So......

I either have to take it off, or lay some plastic, cardboard or paper strips on top for texturing/layers.  Then it should be okay!  I may try two tops, since I have plenty of parts, one with the rubber piece, one without.

Here's the Tripod pre-primed:

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
I added some the knee side-caps also, using Milliput and the quick mold stuff I got online.  Where you heat the material up in hot water, then put the item to be molded into it and let it cool.  Some kind of bead I got at a hobby store, used half of it for the mold form.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
Really starting to come together :-* :-* :-*
I am not sure about your material choices though the steel bolts? why not use plastic tube and the rubber top, the paint may flake off

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
If the steel is properly cleaned of oil, primed, painted and varnished, I dont think chipping will be an issue.

I think the steel bolts are quite clever actually. They're durable and their weight will help keep the long gangly model from falling over. And filing halfway through them to make knees was inspired :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
If the steel is properly cleaned of oil, primed, painted and varnished, I dont think chipping will be an issue.

I think the steel bolts are quite clever actually. They're durable and their weight will help keep the long gangly model from falling over. And filing halfway through them to make knees was inspired :)
The steel bolts are just a bit extreme for a model, I was talking about paint flaking off of the soft rubber top he has added

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
Remember those zip ties at the beginning of the thread here?  I think they'll glue quite well to the rubber, add some novelty to the top!  Let me go try that out!!!  I still have to figure something out for the bolt heads/feet too, some kind of grasping foot so it won't topple over too easily.

Then more details like the tentacles, heat ray, rockets..........

What do you think, a Bronze color for the overall effect? 

Keep it true to the era the book was written in?

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
Good questions and comments got me going today!

Besides, it's the end of the week, FRIDAY!!!!!

First the head/body, got some plumbers putty, I'm just going to cover up the suction cup.  The putty is for a rim for the "dome", so it fits snugly.

This might make this beastie a bit tall though.  Wondering if it's going to be closer to a 28mm model than a 15mm one, as originally planned.....

Used a plastic Easter egg for the "dome".

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
I had tried the zip ties for the suction cup, but the ones I have, assorted in tube, are a bit small.  But, they are perfect for FEET! 

So I was going to use the pointy ends for the "toes", but again, they were TOO SMALL!  Went ahead and used the cap ends instead, if you leave a bit of the "rail" next to the cap, it fits nicely over the hexagonal bolt head/foot.  Then, cut off a small section of the rail to cover the hole in the cap.

One spare milliput knee molded part there for you to see it too along with the cut pieces and one completed foot. 

One done, whatcha think?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:35:12 PM by Enakan »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
Looks good to me, Enakan!  :D The easter egg dome looks a bit odd the suction cup is in shape similiar to the old illustrations. Seeing as they had some sort of umbrella-ish top to them.

https://www.oldbookillustrations.com/illustrations/martian-mechanisms/

Most important is that it works for you though!  :D ;)
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman