Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690586
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arnhem 2nd Lift AAR  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Charles the Modeller

• Schoolboy
Arnhem 2nd Lift AAR
« on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »
A couple of months ago I helped refight the second days landings at Arnhem, where the Germans rushed everything they could to attack the British at the landing grounds. The British, meanwhile, desperately tried to hold on, waiting, waiting for the airlift to arrive.

It was a large 6mm game, fought using rules we are developing for larger scale games. Each stand is a platoon of infantry or represents about 3 vehicles or tanks.

You can see more information at  http://www.allhellletloose.co.uk

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:08:22 PM by Charles the Modeller »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Arnhem 2nd Lift AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
Hi Charles!

Good to see these photos again, it was certainly an impressive looking game, particularly the airlifts

I'll see if I can see the photos of my take on the same scenario

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 08:51:21 AM »
Superb looking game and a very interesting report on the blog. Great stuff.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »
Never seen a game quite like that before. Very interesting scenario!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »
Great Looking game and AAR! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »
Fantastic!  And an ingenious use for shiitake mushrooms!  ;)
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 05:48:46 PM »
I would love an OOB for both sides as our group has a lot of 20mm British Airborne figures.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Charles the Modeller

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Thanks for all the comments!

Hi Fred! See you around soon I hope.

Jemima - shiitake mushrooms! -that would have been sooooo much easier than what I did.

Wrgmr1 - we were playing 1 stand = 1 platoon. The British were fielding 2 full strength battalions plus a support company of jeeps with HMGs at the start = about 1600 men or so. I had one veteran and 1 regular - no real historical basis for that just more for game balance.

The Germans attacked with a considerable force although I had quite a bit of trouble identifying the historical OB. The best website I found was http://www.defendingarnhem.com/Westernsector.html

I gave the Germans 7 infantry formations each of about 300 - 350 men.
One I rated as veteran - troops from the noncommissioned officers school. There were also naval and fleiger formations. The dregs of the lot were the SS wach battalion 3 - malingerers, medical cases, cowards and blackguards. They had been guarding a concentration camp in Holland and had been repeatedly raided by the Wehrmacht for soldiers capable of fighting elsewhere. Those that were left must have been truly appalling given the desperate need for manpower. The officers were also dreadful. The CO was sacked a day or so after this battle for utter incompetence. The rest were no better. I found little reference to enemy vehicles in the battle descriptions but I know the Germans were aware of the British plans, so I gave them a couple of Marders and a bunch of AA units to distribute across the inf. Nothing I could really justify but not enough for it to be too big of a problem.

The British reinforcements are also tricky. 3 para battalions is fine - They were effectively full strength, about 20 platoons including HQ, HMG etc. I cut this number down in the game as it was just too much.

The glider reinforcements are much more difficult as the OBs I’ve seen don’t break down who landed where. I think there were a couple of companies of South Staffs but I suspect a lot was support coys. I put more glider inf, some artillery and engineers in the landing group just for variety. I didn’t expect these forces to be really involved in the game - it was just something different for the Germans to shoot at.

If you are playing with 20mm figs are you looking to play the whole field?

Might be worth looking at the near miss that occurred at Renkum where a coy of Brits nearly got rumbled by a naval battalion but managed to just about escape.

Does that help?

CtM

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
Nice!  I want to play!  One note, in my experience, the trees in the Netherlands are much more organized in straight rows.  ;D

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 01:24:16 AM »
CtM,

That is excellent! Thanks kindly for your reply!
This will help greatly. Our group has a number of tables to use most about 12’ x 6’.
Whether it’s historical or not, this gives me a great basis for what may be a great game.
Cheers
Thomas

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 02:14:13 PM »
That's very nice.  8)

Where did you get the parachutes from?