*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2019, 11:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Ether Drake's Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 18/5/19)  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

  • mad scientist
  • Posts: 545
Re: Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 20/4/19)
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »
Gobsmacked by your force so far. I'd be proud to push them around a table / command them in battle.

Offline ether_drake

  • assistant
  • Posts: 32
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
Re: Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 20/4/19)
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »
Gobsmacked by your force so far. I'd be proud to push them around a table / command them in battle.

Thanks Nic. Having some fun with them so far.
Blog: Ether Drake's Cave

https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/

Offline ether_drake

  • assistant
  • Posts: 32
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
Re: Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 16/5/19)
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 05:35:48 PM »
A sizable update here. Quite a bit of progress has been made.

18 Levy are complete. They'll serve as a complete starting force of Levy in Dux Brit and - with a manuballista - 2 points of Levy in my SAGA Roman army.



More details on my shortcut painting approach on the blog: https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-levy-assemble-merlin-grumbles.html

Merlin is complete. A really fun mini to paint. I umm'd and ahh'd about how to paint the bear fur cloak but in the end I just went with a base of Vallejo G Camo Black-Brown and applied the triads from Foundry's Bay Brown and Chestnut, about six layers in all, with a final extreme highlight of Vallejo Dark Sand to establish contrast and mimic some bleaching/weathering.




UPDATE: Here's a pic from the rear of his cloak. It looks a little rough in part due to lighting, in part because my technique could stand to be refined. Open to some suggestions on how that could be done.



I also finished another four Roman warriors with hand-painted shields. They bring my total warriors up to 16 and make them SAGA ready for a full 2 points. Love these Footsore minis.



To do:
1. Finish highlighting 2 ballista crew
2. Finish highlighting the champion
3. Grout, grit and flock some sabot bases
4. Start on some cavalry!

This will give me a force with greater SAGA flexibility, to field the Gwyr Y Gogledd (Men of the North) option for Dux Brit, and about 32 points to try out Dux Bellorum.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:50:25 AM by ether_drake »

Offline Shaved Dwarf

  • scientist
  • Posts: 402
Re: Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 16/5/19)
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
The rear side of Merlin's cloak looks very good to me.
I guess I'd try to emphasise the edges of the feathers a little more.

Offline ether_drake

  • assistant
  • Posts: 32
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
Re: Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 16/5/19)
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 05:49:58 AM »
The rear side of Merlin's cloak looks very good to me.
I guess I'd try to emphasise the edges of the feathers a little more.

Thanks.

Yeah, the Foundry Charcoal Black highlight was a little too dull. Maybe the base colour from one of the greys will work better for the feathers.

Offline ether_drake

  • assistant
  • Posts: 32
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
Re: Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 16/5/19)
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
UPDATE: I had a go at making my own magnetic sabot base out of MDF, magnetic sheet, filler and sand. Quite pleased with the results:



The magnet even passed the 180 inversion test:





The method I took is outlined on the blog: http://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/2019/05/sabot-basing-method.html?m=1

I did experiment putting two 3mm-wide RE magnets into the base to secure it to the magnetic sheet in my travel box but it barely held. This base will need another layer of magnetic sheet on the bottom to secure it for transport.

I'll probably order some laser cut bases from Warbases to achieve a lower base profile, i.e. the minis' bases can sit flush with the MDF rather than above it. A single layer of magnetic sheet can hold both the minis and the sabot in place.

I may revisit the basing style above for any irregular diorama composition as it suits an unorthodox placement.

I recently acquired some textured rolling pins from Green Stuff World so I may lay a cobblestone road or two on some bases.

Offline Codsticker

  • mastermind
  • Posts: 1362
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Ether Drake's Late Romans/Arthurians Project (Update 18/5/19)
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »
Great work. Your movement trays turned out excellent.