Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry WW2 Plastic Americans  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
Re: Perry WW2 Plastic Americans
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »
It would be nice though if Perrys would round off some of their existing ranges of WW2 before doing their usual habit of moving onto another one. I'm thinking of the Italians specifically.  ???

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:28 AM »
From what I have seen so far, these seem to be some of the best WWII US infantry figures in any scale. Not going to be buying them myself, but I am looking forward to what people like Captain Blood will be able to do with these.

Also, according to the info posted by the Perrys, there will be 42 figures per box (2 command sprues and 3 grunt sprues), so you will be easily able to do a whole infantry platoon of 41 men and still have 1 figure left over. Not quite enough for an armored infantry platoon, though (and there is no 60 mm mortar included).

And perhaps the release of these figures will inspire them to also revisit their other WWII ranges to put out e.g. some more Italians to defend the shores of the sunny Sicily.

Maybe it is time for a little walk in the sun?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 04:11:56 AM »
Frames and cover art now previewed :

Alan Perry stated on FB that the set should be released next month for Salute if everything goes according to plan.

These look dull compared to their stellar 8th Army release.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
I suspect we will have to agree to disagree on this.

In my opinion their WW2 figures have improved over the last six years.

Admittedly my skills have not improved ^__^.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:35:15 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
Looking at the frames there are a lot more figures with bent legs than there are on the 8th army sprue. Most of the 8th army ones are walking and not very animated apart from the grenade thrower. Therefore bent legs = more dynamic in my book.  :D

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
Now up for pre order for 6th April.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 12:20:50 AM »
And the usual three box deal has a metal Patton personality figure and ADC as freebies :

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:39 AM »
Glad they did away with that silly separate helmet thingy. Without some surgery they never sat properly on any head. Added to that all soldiers looked bald and seemed to have an unhealthy preference for wearing their helmets without chinstraps...  ::)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
Glad they did away with that silly separate helmet thingy. Without some surgery they never sat properly on any head. Added to that all soldiers looked bald and seemed to have an unhealthy preference for wearing their helmets without chinstraps...  ::)
Too true.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 11:16:07 AM »
Regarding the headgear, there does not seem to be much in the way of options on this set: almost every head seems to be wearing M1 helmet, except for one in the command sprue with soft cap. Then again, this seems quite appropriate, since the US forces anywhere close to the front line tended to quite universally use it. In contrast, the Afrika Korps and Commonwealth forces in the North Africa tended to employ a wider selection of headgear.

That said, I would suggest taking care when removing the heads from the sprues - unlike many other plastic sets, this one seems to contain very few extra heads.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 01:34:54 PM »
This looks like a very nice kit, glad to see they went with separate heads. Would love to see another German set down the line for use in Italy.

Steve

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 06:42:40 PM »
I've pre-ordered these, and very much looking forward to getting them. Other than the Japanese (and I am NOT building jungle terrain), the US are the last major combatant nation.. ok, no, I forgot the Italians.. oh well. I want them anyway.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 08:23:46 PM »

Ah now that’s a pity. I hadn’t noticed that. I have to disagree with you there... I very much liked the separate headwear, it enabled me to create lots of different characters in jaunty caps and helmets. Just like you see in photos of the period...
I will miss that versatility in the American set  :(

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 07:01:05 AM »
While I rather enjoyed your efforts on these kits Richard, I guess it‘s a classic case of „one man‘s meat is another man‘s poison“. It‘s the same with the cast on weapons in the more recent WG sets... I much prefer it as I hate glueing all those fiddly bits together, others hate it for it restricts the posability.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »
After building the god awful Warlord 8th army box I think I'd be happy with separate helmets being the only real fit issue...instead of EVERYTHING not fitting.