Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:46:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Abhorsen950's 1/72 Napoleonic Project.  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: Abhorsen950's 1/72 Napoleonic Project.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 01:26:49 AM »
I think so!? If memory serves the game was one of the 'one hour wargames' scenarios.

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 05:26:41 PM »
Good evening Gents, I hope you've all had a nice weekend.

A poorly girlfriend allowed me to get my command squares (as per black powder rules) based. I actually think they look a lot better than originally anticipated.

Pictures attached to follow, we have:

3x Highlanders
2x British Infantry
3x French Infantry

Now I'm starting to base them I realise there's a few models missing in some areas. So I will make do with what I have. British force will predominantly be Highlanders and the French force will be a lot smaller in comparison.

Thanks for looking folks,
Steven

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
Great start. There is a lot of good animation in these figure sets.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »
Normsmith - Cheers! Now I know the cards acceptable etc, I should hit the ground running quite comfortably. Admittedly as pointed out by someone earlier, there's a lot of cutting to do! But I've got plenty of cardboard to do it currently  lol wish me luck, I may go crazy  o_o

Can't fault the animation in the three sets I currently have for sure! Going to try and group them together as best as possible so they stack together well!

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »
They are looking good. Made me have to look through my stuff realising I had none those English command figures and now I can't find my French old guard however I did find an old 20mm Napoleon figure that once I find my old guard I will base to make a command unit.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »
They are looking good. Made me have to look through my stuff realising I had none those English command figures and now I can't find my French old guard however I did find an old 20mm Napoleon figure that once I find my old guard I will base to make a command unit.

Brilliant news! I don't think the command unit matters too much, I'm just trying to stick to the Black Powder rules, I'm sure it comes down to whichever rule set you use?

I'm now up to 22 bases cut to size, so I now have enough bases for 88 troops. Intend to get them done over the next few mornings before work. Expect pictures as soon as possible.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »
Excellent! Can I ask what size the bases are? (As in Lenght and Width.)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 01:48:30 AM »
Looking at those ranks of old Airfix plastics stirs up strong and fond memories. I game in 28mm metals and plastics these days and have come a long way since my teens and wargaming in the 70s and 80s. But looking at your images and this project makes me realize that for all the fancy figures, and skilled paint-jobs I don't think I'm having any more enjoyment than I did playing Donald Featherstone's rules or even WRG with my old faithfully painted plastic Airfix figures.

I watch with great interest - keep us updated and thanks for sharing.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »
Excellent! Can I ask what size the bases are? (As in Lenght and Width.)

I've cut them at 40mm by 40mm (that was the guidance in Black Powder for 28mm figures but I think it works fine for these chaps too. I'll probably base my cavalry the same to keep it easy and see what fits best for the artillery figures when they arrive.

Looking at those ranks of old Airfix plastics stirs up strong and fond memories. I game in 28mm metals and plastics these days and have come a long way since my teens and wargaming in the 70s and 80s. But looking at your images and this project makes me realize that for all the fancy figures, and skilled paint-jobs I don't think I'm having any more enjoyment than I did playing Donald Featherstone's rules or even WRG with my old faithfully painted plastic Airfix figures.

I watch with great interest - keep us updated and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for joining me! Glad I've brought someone else a flood of nostalgia. I think I get what you mean, I would love to finance two large 28mm armies but it isn't in a realistic time scale. Maybe in a couple of years I can start putting funds together for that and then have a real long winded project.

Obviously it helps that I've found enough infantry for two starter armies. I've priced up cavalry and artillery and I'm looking at about an extra £25 and both armies will be ready to face off. Shipment is due at the end of the month so hoping to have all the infantry based by then.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
A surprise day off meant I could put the bases to use that I'd chopped up the other night. All French infantry are now based.

Hoping to get the rest of the bases chopped to size and either all British or Highlanders based as well. But not sure I'll make it through them all.

Thanks for looking,
Steven

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:53 AM »
They're looking good.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:56:34 PM by Donkeymilkman »

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »
There looking good.
Thankyou Donkey! Used up all my cardboard bases and all of my glue finishing off the British Infantry but I've now got enough for a little face off this afternoon when the glue has dried.

Pictures of the British.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
Would be great to see a battle report.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
The other thing I find very interesting about this project is it's focus on actual wargaming. AB's not dithering, he's getting his lads straight into the action! I'm fascinated how this will pan out. Will the actual battling enthuse him and lead to two nicely painted plastic armies in the coming months? Or will it be a big anti-climax, like so many of mine/our projects (but in reverse order!) and just fizzle out?

???

Offline PaulRPetri

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 02:14:32 AM »
Mr. Faversham your pics nearly brought me to tears of joy!! What great stuff. I'm 56 and Airfix figures have been in my life nearly the entire time. So I thought I would add a few pictures myself.