Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: IHMN Alternate activation system  (Read 1937 times)

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
IHMN Alternate activation system
« on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »
I like the basics of the IHMN system but the activation/turn order of all models move, then shoot then fights leaves me cold for a smallish skirmish game. I know it works but has anyone tried adding a 'pull tokens from a hat' type activation order for models and just have them do all the order for that model system?

It seems like it would work/not be a huge change to the system.

Doing that it is be easy to add other token(s) into the hat for random events or even turn ends before every model has moved.

Just wondered if others have already done this and what experiences/feedback they had.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: IHMN Alternate activation system
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 08:03:22 AM »
Hi Mellis,

We know of a club that tried using the Bolt Action dice in a bag system, but soon came back to the original method. We understand that some players want a greater fog of war so we encourage players to experiment with their own methods.

One piece of feedback we received from that club, is that in more than one game one player received three or four dice in a row and so was able to take serious, game winning, advantage of that.

We feel that the system we have devised presents a serious tactical choice to the players and leads to a less asymmetric game.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
In the salubrious wood-panelled, leather-bound and tastefully carpeted confines of my club* we invariably play multiplayer IHMN games with smaller demi-Companies of around 200 points.

For these situations, we have recently taken to using an activation method inspired by the card-based system patented by Mr Jaye Wiley, Esq. (aka BaronVonJ in these parts) in his Fistful of Lead system.  This is designed for smaller multiplayer skirmishes and works well enough.  The system has the advantage of semi-randomising activation based on a cascading call of a deck of standard playing cards, a hand dealt to each player corresponding to the current number of surviving figures in the Company.  We permit players to add the highest Leadership value in a company to any one card value, thus preserving the value of figures with that trait.

Perhaps consider?  ???

Best wishes,
agentbalzac

*Description may not be accurate

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:46:31 AM »
Bonjour Monsieur Balzac!

Certainly interesting. How does it play out on the table?