Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: US TRAIN WANTED...  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Captain yapudo

• Scientist
    • STRATEJEUX
US TRAIN WANTED...
« on: March 17, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
Hi Guy's, outlaw and other things.... lol

I'm looking for a 1/56 Train (toy or scratch tuto) I'll could modify/paint for our next Skirmish.

Do you know where I'll can find it ?

If you deploy your right army on the left,
and the left on your right,
your enemy can't know your intention....
"Confusionnus"

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
Re: US TRAIN WANTED...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 03:40:45 PM »
Not an American train but that is Lucky Luke a French BD character and that train is quite expensive.

http://www.millon.com/html/fiche.jsp?id=8134268&np=&lng=fr&npp=150&ordre=&aff=&r=

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »
What the holy freakin' freak!  Are they kidding!  You can get the highest quality brass precise model locomotives for that kind of price.  That is outrageous.  Fun but outrageous - and it looks like it is plastic.  Where is the market?

Closest model railroad scale for you is either S scale at 1:64 or O scale at 1:48.  Because of size and bulk, S scale will probably work better on the game table.  But really too expensive for most and not suited to table top gaming. 

I do 15 mm so don't know the larger scales but I believe there is an MDF American style train out there somewhere.  Hopefully soon, someone will point you in that direction (though, personally, I hate MDF - thankfully Peter Pig has great loco and cars for 15 mm).

Just for grins, here is a photo of  a game in progress with one of my trains in action, actually mostly crashed further down the tracks but you can see the passenger cars on the rails  (though not finished painting them and the track was fresh from the manufacturer and also not yet painted):

And, yes, I said "one of my trains".  I have quite a run-out in order to fill a small multi-track yard, two scenarios in particular - the Earp shootout in Tucson and the Valley campaign of 1862 in the ACW raiding and train wrecking by the Louisiana Tigers (and others) - started this madness.

Good luck on your hunt.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:08:23 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »
For me the best two on the market are these
Hoka Hey at Time line miniatures.£30 for just the engine. ( full set up including 3ft of track is £100.
4Groud at £20 for just the engine bonus is all precoloured parts.( down side not enough items as of yet to do a full train)
Out of fairness I'll mention Sarissa has a range of 28mm railways . Personally I feel they were rushed and miss the mark(not evey item but the most iconic items the locomotives are poor.).
If your interested I could talk you through scratch building in recycled card as its a very simple process.
Alternatively it is possible to pimp the Sarissa locomotives with recycled parts( using my tutorial on traction engines and shay tracked locomotives)As the Sarissa are the cheapest.
If you are intrested I'll add a couple of pictures of card built steam locos/engines just to give you an Idea.

Mark.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
Just in case. I get side tracked (no pun intended) I'll add a couple of old pictures now rather than later.

Mark.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
Bachman Mogul on30 scale ... prices vary .. sometimes you can get lucky - I did

Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
I got hold of a serviceable Wild West train + carriages from Wilko a couple of years ago for I think £15 (including track).
Needs repainting and a bit of fettling, but it is a fine gaming model for not much; considering it won't be used very often.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 12:32:37 PM »
I also picked up a Bachman loco on ebay for a reasonable price, it was less than the Dixon loco and also didn't have to go to all the trouble of building it.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
Another vote for Bachmann 0n30: A pro is that it is a real electric model railway that could be sold on to a wider customer range  if no longer needed.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
Bachmann for me, too ...

This is my old Mogul, hacked about to a 0-6-0 loco with some Bachmann flat cars.

As Deedles said, prices do vary, but sometimes you get lucky.

RMZ

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
Yes, that's very similar to the toy train I acquired.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »
Also, there are Slimrails in the UK:
http://www.slimrails.co.uk/indexon3014kits.html
They have 14' and 20' bogie rollingstock, plastic kits; they are On30 but also smaller prototypes, so will be easier for gamers.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »
For me the best two on the market are these
Hoka Hey at Time line miniatures.£30 for just the engine. ( full set up including 3ft of track is £100.
4Groud at £20 for just the engine bonus is all precoloured parts.( down side not enough items as of yet to do a full train)
Mark.

For that money my best choice! Seems to be available at eBob's also:
http://www.ebobminiatures.com/western.html