Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wars of the Roses rules  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Wars of the Roses rules
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »
Hi, Its probably been asked before, but I recently bought 100+ Perry Wars of the Roses infantry enough for about 50 figures per side and am looking for a fairly easy set of rules to use for an evenings game that will give some flavour of the period. Any suggestions?

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
Re: Wars of the Roses rules
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
The Loin Rampant series has some modifications for the forces of the period which likely would work well for this number of figs.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline 5th Grenadier

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:38:21 PM »
I would also look on the Two Fat Lardies forum under Sharp Practice. There is a tasty conversion for the WOTR there.

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
I recently downloaded the perfect captain 'A Coat of Steel' rules. They are custom made for the period with a campaign rule set 'A crown of paper'. Free to download from the perfect captain website, they just ask you to donate to a charity of your choosing in lieu of any payment for the rules. I haven't played them yet and there looks to be quite a lot of printing of components required but they look a great set to cover the period. If it's something a bit faster play your after then lion rampant as previously recommended is a good large scale skirmish set. Dave Imrie was playing a WotR game using a heavily adapted 'To the strongest' rules set at Carronade 2018 which looked to play really well for the period too but that might be better for larger engagements. Lance and Longbow society also do a set called poleaxed. Sorry for length of post but there's a few options for you

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 08:46:08 PM »
I think it depends on what sort of game you want to play. We have had a lot of fun playing DBA against each others similar armies.
That gives you a feel of armies playing each other where each model represents a number of others. You can also expand into larger games with DBA big battles.

If you want a larger skirmish type game then lion rampant is a good generic starter set,

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
We played a WoTR game with TtS it worked well. And looked really good.

We tried KoW (without the fantasy bits) and it was ok - but late game it’s a bit odd as the battlefield ends up very empty.

I’ve downloaded A Crown of Paper and it looks really good full of period detail and research. But with the huge number of files and documents I couldn’t work out were to start.

We tried poleaxed. It didn’t seem much of a game, it might be a good representation of a late medieval battle, but it’s certainly not much of a game.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 11:08:34 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.
John, I have just received the latest version of the DBA rules so may give them a go, I have played previous versions of DBA so am quite familiar with them.
My main concern is that I don't want to base 100 or so figures for one set of rules and find they are not compatible with other rules.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »
At salute, eithdr last year or the year before I asked the Perry's the same question and they said they used Hail Ceaser and adapted the crossbows part of the rules for the hand guns, similarly the heavier canon were adapted from the catapult/scorpion weapons.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
My main concern is that I don't want to base 100 or so figures for one set of rules and find they are not compatible with other rules.

Single bases and sabot bases will work with just about any rules :)

Warbases.co.uk does some cheap ones but there are loads of manufactures out there.

Offline TChard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:33:01 PM »
I tend to play WotR with polaxed (from the Lance and Longbow society) as it has a great period feel and battles play out as you'd imagine from reading the sources. However, while I like my wargames to be as close to a simulation as possible I know that I'm in the minority! Polaxed can be rather formulaic, with less nail-biting moments where success hinges on an important dice role than other games, so if that's what you like it's not the game for you.

If I'm strapped for time or fancy something more casual Lion Rampant plays nicely, and though it's rather more Hollywood than historical it's certainly good fun. It depends what you're after, but Lion Rampant fits your request quite well - maybe with some of the modifications published in wargames illustrated for added flavour?

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 05:44:19 AM »
Another nice set is this:

http://legio-wargames.com/tree-of-battles-medieval/4563587662

by Simon McDowall.

May be is for bigger battles than you want to game.