Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Does anyone game this period in 6MM?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Does anyone game this period in 6MM?
« on: March 18, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone played this period in 6 or 10MM and what rules do you use? Any advice or links would be welcome. I simply find myself without the time to paint 28MM.

Thanks Guys

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Does anyone game this period in 6MM?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »
Yes, I did some years back. I do know there are some really nice 6mm figures out there for WWI.
My figures were from Irregular and I used one of their rule sets, but can't remember the name now.
I say go for it. At least three companies do WWI in 6mm.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »
I recently sold all my 15mm WW1 miniatures and I'm planning on restarting my collection in 6mm. I'm currently planning on a small Ottoman force and a small Australian force for use with my own ruleset Through the Mud and Blood: Divisional Scale World War One Ruleset which is available via Wargame Vault if you are interested. This rule set uses one base to represent a full company and you smallest unit for activation purposes is usually a battalion. I love 6mm miniatures for large divisional scale games as the ground scale works much better then using 6mm miniatures.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
I have quite a lot of 10mm WWI figures. Most of my figures are Pendraken, with some Magister Militum (mainly French for early 1914).

The time to paint figures is very quick! And you can get lots of the big guns and tanks etc on the table without breaking the bank.

Some of my late war British

Holt Tractor and 8in gun

Early war French Artillery

Rules wise I've played a bit of Great War Spearhead - which seems very detailed, but takes quite a bit of understanding, which as WWI is an ancillary period for me makes it a bit hard when you only play the rules occasionally.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Peter Pig's Square Bashing works well for 10mm:
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.com/search/label/Square%20Bashing

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »
Check out the Great War Spearhead site here, especially the Battle Reports section.

Robin's Blog has numerous AARs as well (see search on Great War Spearhead here).

Robert

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies Chaps, there is a lot more out there than I imagined! Oh the artillery! Even if I don't end up with an army I am buying the artillery piece and tractor! I am now reading blogs and action reports, thanks again.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
Never played Flames of War myself but I notice they do rules for the Great War which might work for 6mm.

15mm used to be my scale of choice but failing eyesight with age meant I had to go over to 28mm  :) 

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »
Does anyone know if Irregular 10mm mix with Pendraken? The Magister vehicles are nice but far too expensive for me as this will be an experiment at first

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »
Irregular  and Pendraken genarally  scale well together.

Generally the Pendraken sculpts are better. But there are some ok Irregular figures, I don’t think I have any of their WWI figures
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:49:17 PM by fred »

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
Thanks Fred, I will try both companies, Irregular seem to have more command figures and wagons. I do like to field transport

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
Pendraken have added more wagons recently, and have some in their other ranges too, which might well work for WWI too.

Mixing in some of both ranges should work. What part of WWI are you thinking of doing?

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
I was thinking of the eastern front, I have had the Too fat Lardies Triumph of the Will set for years and thought I may try it out on the cheap...also I have limited time. I am not sure I could even see 6mm now though!