Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:20:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules needed for Eastern Front.  (Read 4741 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Rules needed for Eastern Front.
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:15:56 PM »
Hello lads. I would like some of your recommendations for WW1 rules. Specifically for the eastern front between Russia and Germany but can include Austrians. If the rules covers force usage and composition it needs to have those 3 or supplements that do. My collection is all 28mm and single based on 25mm square or round bases (for infantry). I have cavalry for both Russia and Germany so rules support there would be nice. I'd also like to know what it is you like and/or dislike about your recommendations. Will also be happy with offical/homegrown WW1 supplements for non WW1 rules.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: Rules needed for Eastern Front.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
Bolt Action WW1

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »
Cant find bolt action WW1 supplements with Russian or Austrian forces.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »
The stats are not going to be any different from western forces buddy.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
Through the Mud & Blood works for Eastern Front. I recall seeing Austrian & Russian army info in one of the Lardy specials.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
The stats are not going to be any different from western forces buddy.
You mean other then the recommended unit size, composition, quality, and equipment that Bolt Action uses to make a balanced and historically accurate game?

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:56 AM »
Through the Mud & Blood works for Eastern Front. I recall seeing Austrian & Russian army info in one of the Lardy specials.
I'm familiar with the rules but not their specials. Where can they be found?

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »
You mean other then the recommended unit size, composition, quality, and equipment that Bolt Action uses to make a balanced and historically accurate game?

We use Bolt Action for our WW1 games which latterly have been set in the Eastern Front. We use the rules more less as they are. Are far as I am aware most armies in the lists allow considerable variation in the size of infantry sections (from memory minimum 5 to 12 max). As for force composition and units quality, we usually go with what seems right for the scenario. Restrictions by the lists are more for competition style games.

To answer your original question, we like BA particularly for the pinning rule. Units take pins when taking hits (even if they save them). These accumulate (unless you take time out to rally them off) to inhibit your ability to give units orders. Sort of like a running morale status. It is quite a simple rule which has a realistic feel.

Not played Through the Mud and the Blood though they come with lots of scenarios adaptable for Eastern Front I would have thought. I also hear good things about Chain of Command. Again another WW2 set but I believe there is a WW1 supplement for them?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:58:52 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
"Through the Mud and the Blood" with the "From Empire to Revolution" (eastern front supplement) will work great. The "Specials" also have articles (there is a table of contents in the item description for each issue) that pertain to the various rulesets. They can all be found at the Too Fat Ladies web-store here;

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/

regards, Bill

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
Thank you armchair general and bartman. I have been using Bolt action for modern games with supplement so might try the WW1 supplement first.
I have played a game or two of through the mud and the blood but when reading through the rules now they seem confusing.
I also have Chris Peers Contemptible Little Armies but they seem a bit too simple.

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »
I am a firm believer in keeping it simple. Bolt Action can be used pretty much as written for any period from about the turn of the century up to ww2 Its more fun to game than read and try to remember and deal with the next rule change and what it means to the flow of the game.

Online monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »
Bolt Action works just fine. What period of the war are you interested in - early or late?

Robert

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
Pretty much from the start until Russia pulls out of the war.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »

You are reading too much into the game matey, it ain't no Warhammer 40k with a bucket load of special rules for each unit. A regular solider is going to operate pretty much the same regardless which nation they belong to.

Online monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
Pretty much from the start until Russia pulls out of the war.
Thanks. Early war is pretty straightforward. TO&Es become a bit more tricky as you get into late 1915 and onwards. Details are more difficult to compile around the composition of squad/sections and associated support weapons. The pick-and-mix approach of Bolt Action will suit the later period because there was considerable variability on both sides. I'm happy to post some details if that would help.

Robert