Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flames of War vs. Bolt Action  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Flames of War vs. Bolt Action
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »
Our local FoW guys simply packe dup with v4 overnight and they were some of the most die-hard FoW players and ranked pretty highly internationally.  Not sure what offended them so much but it did!

I think you actually have an evolution going on.  The new versions of rule cause a backlash from the old players and an influx of new blood.  Bolt Action for me didn't really make any progress V1-V2 some got better some worse.  But it did cause a shift in the player base.  Look at Cambridge too far, biggest event ever and it's the last year it's going to be run due to problems with rule consistancy and the problems associated with overpowered units and bizzare but rules legal combos (Mauri-Gurkhas...).

Will an mediocre upissue kill a system overnight? no, but you will take a hit on long term player numbers and social media allows us to gripe in public about it! 

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
FoW is a parking lot game -   

I'd say that all depends on how many vehicles you choose to cram onto your table, the size of the playing area, and the scale you choose to use.

but is still a game ...

Surely they all are??
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:08:55 PM by Volleyfire! »

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »
Same here v4 killed FoW off.. and Bolt Action wackery at tournaments has all but killed it off too.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
I’ve never played FoW but have been considering Oil Wars. Just can’t face painting 15mm which I have never done. Always been 28mm. I’ve enjoyed some games of Bot Action with Soviet and Japanese armies but accept its a bit random.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:59 AM »
Painting 15mm is fun - I'd recommend all wargamers at least try to paint the popular scales (6mm/15mm/20mm/28mm) at least once to see how they differ.

Unlike my 15mm ancients/medieval that can transfer between rule sets easily (as 40mm frontage has become the norm), my extensive FoW armies have no other rule set to easily transfer across too. I'm hopeful that they will be useful in the future. Because, you know, 15mm WWII is blue chip wargaming.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 12:08:29 PM »
Painting 15mm is fun - I'd recommend all wargamers at least try to paint the popular scales (6mm/15mm/20mm/28mm) at least once to see how they differ.

Unlike my 15mm ancients/medieval that can transfer between rule sets easily (as 40mm frontage has become the norm), my extensive FoW armies have no other rule set to easily transfer across too. I'm hopeful that they will be useful in the future. Because, you know, 15mm WWII is blue chip wargaming.

I ain‘t been shot Mum by the TooFatLardies should be playale with FoW basing without any problems.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »

IASBM is good, you can also use your FOW bases for Chain of Command (I know some people screams at not using individual figures or even 15mm, but I have tried and it works well), and also with Battlegroup from Iron Fist. You need to track casualties (I have some nice skull markers for that!). Another option is Battlefront WW2, excellent rule set, I know the suggested bases are smaller but I have never encountered any issue in playing with FOW bases.  In all 4 cases I am speaking from personal experience (I like FOW basing, do not like FOW at all in 15mm!!).
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »
Thanks Arrigo - some rules for me to check out.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
you are welcome, even if I do not know if your wallet will be so thankful!  lol  But they are all excellent rules well worth the price.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »

Iron Cross (great escape games) and Blizkieg commander (pendragon) are other option for your FoW based figures. Neither are competition sets but works well for WW2 games. They are games though - more than CoC which you can also use them for as well. :)

My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/