Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.  (Read 26365 times)

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
Re: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »
A little update in the way of a Soviet Survivor squad. Slightly cheating, as much of the painting for these was done back in 2009. Finishing them took little more than some washes, re-painting some areas that had been chipped and correcting mistakes. The bases are new however, and this was my first time using snow flock. The miniature on the right of the last picture was my original test-mini, that I first posted here 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:00:34 PM by Bowiefan »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
Nice.

What sort of snow flock did you use?

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 04:26:50 PM »
What sort of snow flock did you use?

It was The Army Painter Battlefields Snow. I got it from ebay, so not sure if it is still a current range product.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:46:20 PM by Bowiefan »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 06:00:52 PM »

Nice work :)

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
Looks good!

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
A Gestapo Agent and SWD Scientist painted, likely to serve as objective markers. The Gestapo mini would make a great Arnold Toht, if anyone is planning on opening the Ark of the Covenant.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
Finished off my Jaegerhund Doberman miniature, which also rounded out my first Werewolf pack (have 2 in my planned army list). Went with a chocolate brown scheme as it differs from the black and tan I'd already done with the Rottweiler.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »
In other news, my local gaming shop is putting on a demo day on 11th May, showcasing various miniature, card, and tabletop games. I put myself forward to run some demos for Secrets of the Third Reich, and have been given a place. Looking back at my earlier posts, that was indeed my motivation for painting. I've never actually ran a demo game, so will be doing what I can to get myself ready and organised over the next couple of weeks.

https://www.dicesaloon.com/events/secrets-of-the-third-reich-free-demo-day?fbclid=IwAR1gc0_9r6mEXiXjG6msxMaz6RaCfIVtQpROa5KCH26KQEE_JFptxxzkKlA

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »

Good luck with running the demo, good to see someone getting one of my favourite games out there :)

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 09:06:45 AM »
Thanks Ballardian. Here's hoping it gets a few people interested.

Painted 5 Soviet Zombies. Means I can field a full horde of 25 zombies for a Brainwurst! demo, and adds a little variety.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 02:10:50 AM »
I am a bit fond of those West Wind Soviet Zombies. A bit less generic than the German zombies a few companies do. I'd picked up 20 or so myself for a game a while back and they do add a bit more variety (though you can get away with painting more camoflage on German ones if there's a lack of sculpts out there). At least these West Wind ones have swappable heads to mix things up too. :)

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
@Wyrmalla: Yeah, I'm a fan of the West Wind zombies. There are perhaps better sculpts technically, but I find them really characterful and fairly easy to paint. That's pretty true of most of the SoTR minis I've finished so far.

Switching nations in an attempt to offer a few more choices for my impending demo day. Managed to finish a British Rifle Squad. Currently working on a British Sniper Team for the same reason.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »
Nice painting.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2019, 11:10:43 PM »
Thanks Ultravanillasmurf. Also managed to get a British Sniper Team finished in time for the demo day (update on that to follow).

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
Re: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years (Demo Day Update)
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
Didn't take too many pictures during my demo day, but hope these give you a little insight. Only managed 2 games unfortunately, but both seemed to go well. If I'm honest, that number is slightly disappointing, but I can understand why. The games being played near me were Moonstone, Red Alert, Malifaux, and A Song of Ice and Fire, which I think were all a little newer and shinier. I was also (due to working in the morning) putting on the demo from mid-afternoon onwards, and I believe there was more footfall earlier. In hindsight, perhaps I could have also painted some more varied eye catching stuff beyond just infantry. Possibly tanks, mechs or more weird stuff. However, I think I did ok for a one-man effort. Painted pretty steadily for 2-3 months, which resulted in 65 painted minis on the table and ready to use.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:56:36 AM by Bowiefan »