Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CROSSFIRE!!!  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
CROSSFIRE!!!
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
I've had this ruleset on my bookshelf for more years than I care to remember. I've seen the rules crop up in this month's WI and wondered if any of the Brethren here has any experience of them? Are they worth me dusting off and trying a game when I get home this weekend?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
Re: CROSSFIRE!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
Def- I really like them. :D

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
Very intuitive set of rules.  Definitely worth trying, we've been playing 'em since they first came out. 
Alea Iacta Est

Offline 1000foot

• Bookworm
    • 1000 Foot General
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
These were the first rules I played when I discovered historical wargaming. We really enjoyed them, although the tank rules didn't feel quite right.

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »
Tanks are a bit of an afterthought in Crossfire.  We've tried various ways of playing them; giving them 1-3 actions depending on whether they are light, medium or heavy.  Currently we are using a version of the Peter Pig tank rules.  But then again I mainly use the rules to play infantry battles.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »
I've had this ruleset on my bookshelf for more years than I care to remember. I've seen the rules crop up in this month's WI and wondered if any of the Brethren here has any experience of them? Are they worth me dusting off and trying a game when I get home this weekend?

???

I like them too!  :-*

I used them to cook my ”house rules” for WW2

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:47:18 AM »
Very engaging set of rules that keeps both players on their toes. They are best kept to infantry actions in close terrain where they work well. Once you grasp the basics you will spend your time trying to solve tactical problems, not looking at rules. Check out the lindybeige YouTube videos.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 04:13:26 AM »
Lindybeige has whole YouTube series on the game.
LINDYBEIGE LINK
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:00:37 AM »
It's superb.
You can play with vechs but it's an infantry game really.
Like Conliffe's Armati it forces you to plan properly and make critical decisions.

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
I was looking at those rules some time ago in order to reuse my Spain in Flames collection (I don't really like the FoW rules at all, and I also own some "weird war" stuff I would like to use and FoW doesn't seem to be "custom rules friendly"). Do you think they would work for the spanish civil war?

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
SCW?  yes😊  the games very infantry focused, one thing the game benefits from is lots of scenery/cover.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »
This is a set of rules that I find very interesting theoretically, but I've never actually managed to find anyone to play a game with. I like its turnless movement concept a lot.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 11:03:42 AM »
Really great set of rules.  Superb rendition of infantry combat. There's a few things which are not so good about them.
1. They only really work for 1 vs 1 games. We've tried various ways of doing multi-player and none is very satisfactory.
2. It's an infantry game. Vehicles are an add-on. Various people have done expanded vehicle rules, but the core game engine doesn't really make sense for vehicles.
3. You need lots of terrain, both to break up line of sight, and because movement is terrain to terrain.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:30:57 AM by SteveBurt »

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 03:34:25 PM »
I played it for the first time earlier this year and truly enjoyed it.  I do wish it worked better for vehicles to be honest... the project I want to use it for needs a fair number of vehicles to really work.  :?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
There was a set of pretty comprehensive rules for vehicles but I'm not sure they are online any more.
There's lots of useful suggestions about the rules on Lloyd Nikalos's site:
http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/vintageSite/wargames/crossfire/cfireh.html
or here:
https://balagan.info/wargaming/crossfire